Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

contown

Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

Post by contown »

The openings/cinemas were well done and looked like they had really come straight out of an anime. It got me thinking about watching a real KS anime. Is that even possible? Because it would be incredible.
Nightydreams

Re: Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

Post by Nightydreams »

I think... Alot of what makes Katawa Shoujo so amazing and beautiful is the fact that is a Visual Novel. I can't quite explain it yet but I feel much of what I love about it, would probably be lost if it was adapted into an animation. Something with Katawa Shoujo's Depth and Complexity (And it's exorbant amount of routes) Is unsuited to conversion to an Animation I think.

Ofcourse there have been quite note worthy examples of succesful conversions by companies such as KEY, and their adaption/converstions of visual novels.

This is my personal opinion.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.
-Alexander. Infinity Ocean

Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
-Terro, The saddest music in the world
Rivinhal

Post by Rivinhal »

Nightydreams wrote:I think... Alot of what makes Katawa Shoujo so amazing and beautiful is the fact that is a Visual Novel. I can't quite explain it yet but I feel much of what I love about it, would probably be lost if it was adapted into an animation. Something with Katawa Shoujo's Depth and Complexity (And it's exorbant amount of routes) Is unsuited to conversion to an Animation I think.

Ofcourse there have been quite note worthy examples of succesful conversions by companies such as KEY, and their adaption/converstions of visual novels.

This is my personal opinion.
I agree. I think whilst it COULD happen, and without a hitch I believe, but it would lose some of it's personal appeal and fondness' that makes me personally attached to this game.. ( I mean I can seeing myself playing this game every few years, or once the memory has begun to fade; almost as if one would re-read a book they are fond of from time to time..) But if it did happen, and an anime was released, you'd be watching characters instead of "being" one, which could turn some off to the concept. I personally would back the idea, simply because I love the canon material so much, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for the same kind of experience either..
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Touhou is able to do it.
i'm sure Katawa Shoujo could do.

but it took very long period of time.

Well, i think the group has spend most budget in the game.
and spend many years.

about anime, maybe it will be much far off in future..

but personally,
visual novel is good because it can portray the "inner-voice" and thoughts of the main character, hisao.
if it is an Anime,
i'm just afraid that the 'meaning' or 'depths' of the story content and material could be lost.

I would not want that though.

but regardless of that,
i would like for an Anime!!
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
Kaiio

Post by Kaiio »

Not a chance.

At least not without Raita's permission.
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Well Black Rock Shooter started off as a Niconico thing and eventually got an OVA right?

If it did get an anime adaption, I don't think Shizune would be the main girl, just because of the budget and research it would take to animate her and Misha's signing...
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
WTF

Post by WTF »

I think I would jump trough the celling if that would happen, but I strongly doubt it. KS is so complex, that it could not be transfered into an Anime without loosing a lot of it's depth and atmosphere. Let alone deciding which part of it to cover as the main storry (you can't make Hisao get the happy ending with each of the girls so you would have to pick one specific and reduce the others to side-characters which would be really sad) would make the community go crazy. Me for example would love to see Hanako as the female-lead of the story, but I'm sure that there are people who would like to see Shizune/Rin/Emi/Lilly in that place instead (something that is totally understandable, everyone has it's own preference).

So TL;DR: No I don't think that a VN of KS's class and depth could ever be ported into an Anime, no matter who would try to do it, it would still lack a lot of things that make it so unique and good.
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

I thought about this question today as well, the only real way they could (and with it, keeping their fans happy), is by creating a small anime (5/6 episodes) explaining how and what happens to Hisao and the beginning of his stay at the new school.

After that, bringin out (bear with me) small oav's which actually leads to a different girl. This allows every fan too have their "girl" be chosen in the end. You might think the story would get kinda perpetual after seeing one route, but after having played 3 routes, I didn't mind at all. Doubt I'd mind it with multiple oav's.

I mean, stranger things have happened, look at the melancholy of Haruhi Suzimya..
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Nightydreams

Post by Nightydreams »

Xevo wrote:I mean, stranger things have happened, look at the melancholy of Haruhi Suzimya..
Hmmm, Yes that reminds me of the endless eight, if you can stand that I think you can stand multiple OAVs
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.
-Alexander. Infinity Ocean

Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
-Terro, The saddest music in the world
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Well, not really I say.

In order to be an actual anime, it would have to balance out all the girls. It would probably make Hisao look like a real douche. Either he'd have to not go for any girls, or go for all of them at the same time, which would make him really gross and look like he's taking advantage over all of them. If anything, if there was an anime, it should be before Hisao's involvement, showing all the girls before he arrived.
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

The biggest problem I see here would be the Clannad syndrome. While I do think that Clannad was made into a very good and touching anime series, I can't help but constantly think how much different choices I would've personally made during the Visual Novel.

So while I'm sure that Katawa Shoujo would be pretty good Anime, the story would have to focus on one path only.. Which would kind of kill the whole story for most people, however if they would be smart.. They would create somewhat completely alternate storyline for the anime, to fit all the characters somewhat better to the story..

So I don't see it as an impossibility to create an Anime based on Katawa Shoujo, as the base story behind it is already really good and stable.. But I'm afraid that it wouldn't feel as good for the viewers if they have already played the game before.. But then again, it could introduce a lot of people to the story who haven't played visual novels before and mainly just watch Anime.

But this reminds me, I really should get around myself to be finally able to actually play the Clannad.. But it's kind of hard for me since I really hate the main character at the start, and it's really hard to play something if you hate the guy you are supposed to play with.
Yuno wrote:Well, not really I say.

In order to be an actual anime, it would have to balance out all the girls. It would probably make Hisao look like a real douche. Either he'd have to not go for any girls, or go for all of them at the same time, which would make him really gross and look like he's taking advantage over all of them. If anything, if there was an anime, it should be before Hisao's involvement, showing all the girls before he arrived.
Notice that Visual Novels like this have been turned into Anime before.. And like I above mentioned, in Clannad's example they just took one route to mainly follow in the Anime and then add separate additional stories for all the other characters. There's no possibility for you to choose when watching Anime about how the story is going to go, but the story itself is really well made and touching.
Hanako = Shizune = Rin = Lilly = Emi
I just don't like categorizing people. Even if Hanako will always be the dearest for me, I still prefer if they all get equal share of love.
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

Yuno wrote:Well, not really I say.

Interesting point. Yes a lot of vn's turning into anime's ended that way, would still be interesting too see though what they would let him go for in the anime. Though I would guess he'd end up with Emi or Lilly, seeing as those just fit better to make an anime about.

Still, my option of just making multiple oav's with all the good endings sounds like a good solution to the problem.
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Exterminator 2000

Post by Exterminator 2000 »

Deltamon wrote:The biggest problem I see here would be the Clannad syndrome. While I do think that Clannad was made into a very good and touching anime series, I can't help but constantly think how much different choices I would've personally made during the Visual Novel.

So while I'm sure that Katawa Shoujo would be pretty good Anime, the story would have to focus on one path only.. Which would kind of kill the whole story for most people, however if they would be smart.. They would create somewhat completely alternate storyline for the anime, to fit all the characters somewhat better to the story..
There's also the omnibus format. Amagami SS has shown that it definately works, though I can't compare the Anime to the source material.

Then again, the complexity and depth of KS and its different routes wouldn't fit into a short series of 4-6 episodes each... at least if it's supposed to do the source material any justice.
"One guy. Two girls. In a dorm room. With a tea set.
Sounds pretty dodgy when I phrase it like that."
---
"The point of no return was 1000 miles ago."
---
"What's the name of that feeling in your heart, that the world is going to be alright?"
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Deltamon wrote: Notice that Visual Novels like this have been turned into Anime before.. And like I above mentioned, in Clannad's example they just took one route to mainly follow in the Anime and then add separate additional stories for all the other characters
I dunno, it would still feel like a bummer to have a major anime air and then not have the right girl Rin as the main love interest. I've revealed my bias.
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

As far as I know the Japanese are only interested in making anime about Japanese things (which an oelvn is not) or classic literature (which it is not). So the answer is very no.
X is scientifically proven to Y.