The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Deltamon

Re: The Hanako Thread - Spoilers, obviously

Post by Deltamon »

Yubi Shines wrote:If he never transferred, you get the impression they'd find their own happiness anyway. The glaring exception is Hanako, the one who needs "saving."
Oh the irony. You should get what I mean if you have played the game through with her all the way to the good ending.
Hanako = Shizune = Rin = Lilly = Emi
I just don't like categorizing people. Even if Hanako will always be the dearest for me, I still prefer if they all get equal share of love.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Bulldozer wrote:I see I'm not the only one who found the H-scene extremely awkward.. The ending made sense though.
I thought it worked. Wasn't forced or anything.

But yes it was a bit like that I suppose.
Deltamon wrote:
Yubi Shines wrote:If he never transferred, you get the impression they'd find their own happiness anyway. The glaring exception is Hanako, the one who needs "saving."
Oh the irony. You should get what I mean if you have played the game through with her all the way to the good ending.
The guy points out below that he has?
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

Ok well, after reading through this thread again and using my derpy head for a while...I get it. I understand the h-scene and the implications and meaning of it now. I understand that she thought it would deepen their relationship and help him to see her as something other than an object to protect. See, the problem with a guy like me is that I'm an optimistic romantic. So to me, it feels wrong to have sex unless both parties love each other and have known each other for long enough. Understanding the process of the h-scene, the ending feels a lot better to me. I still think it's abrupt but I feel better. Still, I really don't think I can bring myself to get the bad and neutral ends...DAMN YOU COMPLETIONIST IMPULSES!

Well I'll go and finish Lilly's route first. But for now I can thankfully stop losing sleep (literally) over this.

Also totally random but me and a friend who were playing through simultaneously noticed...she didn't bleed during the h-scene. Is it like that for all the routes? Did the devs just not want to gross anyone out or what?
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

Extremist_Line wrote:Ok well, after reading through this thread again and using my derpy head for a while...I get it. I understand the h-scene and the implications and meaning of it now. I understand that she thought it would deepen their relationship and help him to see her as something other than an object to protect. See, the problem with a guy like me is that I'm an optimistic romantic. So to me, it feels wrong to have sex unless both parties love each other and have known each other for long enough. Understanding the process of the h-scene, the ending feels a lot better to me. I still think it's abrupt but I feel better. Still, I really don't think I can bring myself to get the bad and neutral ends...DAMN YOU COMPLETIONIST IMPULSES!
I'm glad we helped you to realize that.. I personally love it really much if sex is just used as a story telling mechanism and part of the actual story.. Instead of it just feeling like some random reward at the end of the story. You know, life goes on even after you have had sex, and sometimes there can be more reasons for having it rather than just doing it because you felt horny. ;)
I just don't like categorizing people. Even if Hanako will always be the dearest for me, I still prefer if they all get equal share of love.
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

Esa94 wrote:The guy points out below that he has?
Yup yup, but that's not what I meant. What I mean is that wording he used to describe Hanako's circumstances :)
rhfs

Post by rhfs »

money5 wrote:the scars on her body looked more like beautiful painting/tattoo rather than real scars like the one on the face. They weren't disturbing or shocking at all. Maybe it's just art, maybe towards the end I felt love in her so it didn't matter, or both.
Agreed. Maybe I was just too attached to her by the time we got to see the whole body, but I wasn't shocked or disgusted at all. Like I said in an earlier post, I found the whole H-scene both sexy and tasteful, something that is pretty difficult to accomplish considering her unusual circumstances.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

VSOP wrote:
Yuno wrote:
VSOP wrote:Okay, this is a really silly question, though I'm baffled. People are saying it's easy to get onto the Hanako branch but I'm having trouble, each time just getting the bad end. Which part is the most important, because I have a feeling I'm missing it.
Seems it was because I kept introducing myself to the class, rather than having Mutou do it.
No, that choice has no influence on Hanako's path.
To get Hanako you have to
1) Ask about the library
2) Apologize for scaring her
3) Tell Kenji she's cute
(at least two of the above) then
4) Talk to Hanako on your lunch break
5) When Lilly and Shizune are fighting, tell Shizune to cut you and Lilly some slack
6) When returning to Yamaku with Rin and Lilly, tell Lilly you're not in a good condition
7) Go to the library
Also if you choose to exercise with Emi, DON'T go for it.
This should get you on Hanako's path...
Wrote that from memory... Yes, it's that bad^^°
You know, life goes on even after you have had sex, and sometimes there can be more reasons for having it rather than just doing it because you felt horny.
You mean like for recharging magial energy or something? (Didn't actually read FSN, just something I picked up.)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Explosive Amnesia

Post by Explosive Amnesia »

xanderhunter wrote:Fifth, the name for act three, Castling, I know what the term means in chess, but is that the only reason it was used was because it is a chess term and chess played a important roll between them.
This got me thinking. At first I thought it was just because it was a move in chess, but it actually has some symbolism behind it.

You see, in chess castling is a move that allows you to move the king two squares towards a rook on the your first rank, then move the rook onto the square over which the king crossed. This leaves the two pieces right beside each other. You could think that the king (a weak piece that needs defending) as representing Hanako and the rook (a powerful piece that is used in this case to defend) as Hisao. In act three, you see Hanako and Hisao "castle". Meaning, they become closer together and Hisao becomes even more protective.

Or at least thats the way I see it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Explosive Amnesia on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

Explosive Amnesia wrote:
xanderhunter wrote:Fifth, the name for act three, Castling, I know what the term means in chess, but is that the only reason it was used was because it is a chess term and chess played a important roll between them.
This got me thinking. At first I thought it was just because it was a move in chess, but it actually has some symbolism behind it.

You see, in chess castling is a move that allows you to move the king two squares towards a rook on the your first rank, then movie the rook onto the square over which the king crossed. This leaves the two pieces right beside each other. You could think that the king (a weak piece that needs defending) as representing Hanako and the rook (a powerful piece that is used in this case to defend) as Hisao. In act three, you see Hanako and Hisao "castle". Meaning, they become closer together and Hisao becomes even more protective.

Very well explained, but I freaking hate that avatar of yours.. It's impossible to try reading text next something so flashy..
Explosive Amnesia

Post by Explosive Amnesia »

Deltamon wrote:
Explosive Amnesia wrote:

You see, in chess castling is a move that allows you to move the king two squares towards a rook on the your first rank, then movie the rook onto the square over which the king crossed. This leaves the two pieces right beside each other. You could think that the king (a weak piece that needs defending) as representing Hanako and the rook (a powerful piece that is used in this case to defend) as Hisao. In act three, you see Hanako and Hisao "castle". Meaning, they become closer together and Hisao becomes even more protective.

Very well explained, but I freaking hate that avatar of yours.. It's impossible to try reading text next something so flashy..
Yeah sorry, I realized that while I was reading back over it. Fix'd 8)
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

Explosive Amnesia wrote:Yeah sorry, I realized that while I was reading back over it. Fix'd 8)
Thank you, saved my eyes from a lot of trouble. Wahahahahaha~ :lol:
Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine »

I knew from the moment I saw her that Hanako would be my girl. I played through her route first in Act 1 and again in the full game. I alternated between wanting to cry, giggling to myself and wanting to hug her so bad it felt like I would die. It was equal parts soulcrushing and heartwarming. I genuinely fell in love with her and wanted to be with her forever.

Then the h-scene arrived. I'm not going to lie, I didn't want it. I even considered turning safe mode on just so I could avoid it, but I thought it would be detrimental to the story to go without it. It didn't turn me on in the slightest. I saw Hanako there, bared for me and me alone to see. I looked over her scars and I simply thought "She's so beautiful..." The scene itself was tastefully done, expertly written and not cheesy or typical of eroges in the slightest, which was a great relief to me. However, if I had been in Hisao's shoes, it never would have happened. I'd have just held her and told her I loved her and that she was the most beautiful girl in the world to me. I don't know how that would have turned out, but I'd like to think it would have forgone the awkwardness of her giving herself to me without actually wanting it.

When it comes to the "knight in shining armour complex", I am massively guilty of that. I once said to a friend of mine after she was told by a guy she asked out that she had too much emotional baggage for his tastes that I actually liked that in a girl because I want to look after her. I would have fallen into the same trap Hisao did, but I would actually be able to acknowledge my love for her as opposed to beating around the bush like he did. Whether or not that would have made matters different, I don't know. But regardless, my desire to help Hanako and be there for her came out of a genuine love for her rather than a misguided sense of pity.

When I got to the end, I actually said out loud "NO! NO! NO!" I wanted more. Much more. I know that's an unreasonable expectation from any game, but I was emotionally invested in this path. And I think I'm going to end up agreeing with the general consensus that you can't play the other paths without dying a little inside every time you snub her.

But, at the end of the day, I fucking loved it. Thank you for making this knight in shining armour a very happy man. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to listen to Painful History until I can pull myself together enough to get on with my life. Or at least the next path...
Hanako>Misha>Emi>Lilly>Shizune>Rin
Exterminator 2000

Post by Exterminator 2000 »

Finally I left my long-time lurking state behind and registered to say a few words. I have been following KS closely since the first release of Act 1 (since that's when I first heard of it). If I remember correctly, I have played through act 1 like 2 or 3 times now. From the very first time I saw her, it became immediately clear that I'd go for Hanako first; she always seemed likely a complex and genuinely interesting person, not only because of her looks and obviously different behavior.

So, I just finished her path (with all 3 endings) a few hours ago and my brain is still occupied with analyzing and understanding everything's that's happened in her story. I'd like to give a few of my thoughts in case anyone's interested (or not):

First off, I would like to say "thank you" to everyone involved in the creation of KS, but especially those who were more involved in Hanako's path (as I understand, these are Suriko, Crud, Delta and Weee). I'm terribly sorry if I forgot someone...
The writing, as a whole, is top-notch quality. The plot and behavior, especially of Hanako and Hisao, is (as paradox as it sounds) incredibly believable. Besides that, I really liked how everything comes together. :)

And the character art and especially the CG art is, in a word, mindblowing. I don't really know that many VN's, but there were definately seemingly 'more professional' productions than KS with art that looked nowhere as good as this. Hell, I'd even go as far and say that I don't know a VN with better art overall! :o

The music and sound effects were great as well; though in some cases I was a little sad that some of the revised tracks weren't as catchy as the originals were. Still, they perfectly managed to set the atmosphere. I'm looking forward to the complete soundtrack being released!

As for the story itself, it was a true rollercoaster of feelings. Contrary to what I expected, I didn't have to cry, though there were some scenes were I definately had tears in my eyes. Somehow I had the feeling that everything would turn out alright in the end, though. :)

One scene that really shocked me was the classroom incident with Hanako going into a catatonic state. That really shook me to the core. One thing that made it more intensive, yet more bearable at the same time was the fact that Shizune and Misha tried to help as much and as quickly as they could.

As for the overall good vs. bad endings, in hindsight it was a stroke of genius that the player was slowly led down the - *bad* - white-knight path, mostly without noticing until Lilly pointed it out during the phone call. Even I, though reflecting on what had happened, couldn't understand her reasoning completely the first time, so I went for going with Hisao's judgment, getting to the neutral ending.
With the knowledge of what I did wrong, it suddenly all made sense to me - in a painful way, hitting me like a freight train. Like I said - a stroke of genius. :mrgreen:

The same goes for the scene where Hanako and Hisao sleep with each other. To be honest, I was caught kind of off guard as I somehow had given up on an H-scene happening with her. The scene itself didn't feel wrong; though it was clear she wasn't really feeling "ready" for this, I still had the impression that this happening would be the right thing in the end. Strangely enough, it turned out I was right. In a way, only this happening lead to Hanako and Hisao telling each other what they thought about each other and how they truly felt. Though taken by itself, the fact that she only "offered" herself to Hisao because she was afraid of losing him, and him only taking up on her offer because he was afraid of losing her, may sound horrible, it still feels like "doing the right thing" in the grand scope of things; because, despite despising themselves for such behavior, it was still with someone they loved, even if they did not want to acknowledge it for what it was at that time.

Yes, I was sad that their story ended there when things were finally moving in a good direction. However, looking back on it, the story is complete and perfect in itself. Masterfully done, 4LS, masterfully done!

@KaraShephard:
KaraShepard wrote:Literally JUST finished Hanako's route. I'm typing this through tears right now.

When Act 1 was released back in 2009, I played it and fell in love with Hanako immediately. She essentially WAS ME when I was in high school...
Your post really touched me, in a very positive way. Thinking about it I believe it is safe to say that what the developers achieved with Hanako's path is something so precious, so unique and full of both warmth and truth, it is hardly possible to describe it with words. I had high expectations... and 4LS managed to exceed them by a long shot.

P.S.: Haven't touched the other paths yet, but what I've read in this thread seems to confirm my fear that I will have a hard time playing through KS with someone else's path besides Hanako's. Damn you, Hanako, you are too perfect!

P.P.S.: Will give my opinion on the others as I complete their stories.
"One guy. Two girls. In a dorm room. With a tea set.
Sounds pretty dodgy when I phrase it like that."
---
"The point of no return was 1000 miles ago."
---
"What's the name of that feeling in your heart, that the world is going to be alright?"
BemaniAK200

Post by BemaniAK200 »

I was incredibly excited to see Crud's ideas come to life in the game, post-confession stories, lots of route choices.

I'm so disappointed.

I liked the friendship ending more than the true end.
Yubi Shines

Post by Yubi Shines »

Deltamon wrote:
Esa94 wrote:The guy points out below that he has?
Yup yup, but that's not what I meant. What I mean is that wording he used to describe Hanako's circumstances :)
ha. Yes, I am fully and completely aware of the irony.

(I am, however, much more shallow than the game thinks I am. I wasn't attracted to Hanako because I wanted to save her, I just liked her hair colour. Take that, game! ...wait.) (Honestly, though, I'm really fascinated with scars, but that's a whole other thing...)

As a minor note, I'm sort of amused how they semi-subtly introduce Miki as a complete opposite to Hanako (dark and boyish and no-bullshit) while having superficial similarities (long dark hair, a disability tied to physical injury rather than something from birth).