Shizune's path

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Levy

Re: Shizune's path

Post by Levy »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Just because something has been successfully done before doesn't mean it has to be easy or even practical.
While it is possible to teach deaf people to speak, most will still be more comfortable with sign language or written notes.
I don't think you should brush that of with a simple "does not want to learn"
She goes so far as to silence her laughs. Although I'm sure there's more to it than being embarrassed about her voice, she seems like she doesn't want people to know she has a voice.
My little record, apparently. :)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

She is smart enought to know that most people know that she has a voice, so it wouldn't make sense to try to hide the fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf-mute
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Levy wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Just because something has been successfully done before doesn't mean it has to be easy or even practical.
While it is possible to teach deaf people to speak, most will still be more comfortable with sign language or written notes.
I don't think you should brush that of with a simple "does not want to learn"
She goes so far as to silence her laughs. Although I'm sure there's more to it than being embarrassed about her voice, she seems like she doesn't want people to know she has a voice.
I can imagine Shizune being embarrassed about her voice. My aunt is deaf. Her voice isn't pleasant, it's extremely loud and sounds like her tongue is numb and she's drunk. I can imagine something with the capability to ruin Shizune's persona like this pissing her off, and the fact that she can't actually control it, which our control freak Student Council President can't stand.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Levy wrote: She goes so far as to silence her laughs.
Well, even when you laugh, you probably silence it somewhat yourself. Imagine if you had no perception of volume and then laughed. You would probably try to suppress it as much as you could. After all, how do you know how loud you're laughing?

Imagine you're Shizune.
Someone tells you a joke.
Do you risk laughing out loud, not knowing how loud you're being, and startling everyone around you?
Besides that, the suppression of her laughing may be for another reason. Personally, I think it's because of the above, but it may also be because she wants to keep her demeanor and persona in-check.
Levy

Post by Levy »

Yuno wrote:
Levy wrote: She goes so far as to silence her laughs.
Well, even when you laugh, you probably silence it somewhat yourself. Imagine if you had no perception of volume and then laughed. You would probably try to suppress it as much as you could. After all, how do you know how loud you're laughing?

Imagine you're Shizune.
Someone tells you a joke.
Do you risk laughing out loud, not knowing how loud you're being, and startling everyone around you?
Besides that, the suppression of her laughing may be for another reason. Personally, I think it's because of the above, but it may also be because she wants to keep her demeanor and persona in-check.
Well, maybe she sees how people react to Misha's loud laughter and doesn't want that kind of attention then?
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

Worthington wrote:Best get those pants out, buddy. scroll up on the mousewheel
They're surprisingly comfortable up here, but I can't shake that "I'm a massive retard" feeling.

Thanks for the heads up though. I shall make use of it in the future...
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

Levy wrote: Well, maybe she sees how people react to Misha's loud laughter and doesn't want that kind of attention then?
Quite possible, I'd say. After all, Shizune is all business. She has no idea how to even laugh appropriately, and she knows that Misha looks kind of stupid laughing, so she may see it as negative attention. I do this myself quite often, where I find something funny but bite my lip on purpose to not laugh and keep composure.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

I finished the Shizune path and got the bad end. The entire path was completely different from what I imagined. It was extremely frustrating, sad and made me feel very bad. I'm not saying that it was a badly written path, but I find the kind of issues that come up over the course of the story hard to deal with. I'm not sure why exactly things ended up like they did. I understand that there's some kind of flaw in Shizune's personality, but I don't feel like I understand exactly what it is. I'd like to find it out, so I'll play Shizune's path again sometime, but I'll go for the good end another time. For now, I need something to cheer me up. Don't let me down, Emi route!
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Levy

Post by Levy »

Panty Supervisor wrote:I finished the Shizune path and got the bad end. The entire path was completely different from what I imagined. It was extremely frustrating, sad and made me feel very bad. I'm not saying that it was a badly written path, but I find the kind of issues that come up over the course of the story hard to deal with. I'm not sure why exactly things ended up like they did. I understand that there's some kind of flaw in Shizune's personality, but I don't feel like I understand exactly what it is. I'd like to find it out, so I'll play Shizune's path again sometime, but I'll go for the good end another time. For now, I need something to cheer me up. Don't let me down, Emi route!
I actually save every time I get a decision, so I completed the bad route after I finished the good. Felt bad too, with Shizune sitting sadly with the stuffed animal poking out of her bag, like I had betrayed her. I went and read through the good ending again to cheer myself up.
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

Andere wrote:I don't think Shizune's route has a conflict.
I'd argue that this is largely the point. Shizune is not a conflicted character. She's dealt with her disability years ago and she's (mostly) fine with the way things are for her. Of all the girls, she's the one that's most normal and has the fewest issues.

Hisao's heart condition is irrelevant because Shizune shows him that it's irrelevant.
Shizune doesn't need to tell Hisao that she loves him. She straps him to a chair and fucks him.
They don't need to go out on dates because they're together during Student Council work and Shizune's satisfied with that.

If KS had been written like a more traditional VN, Shizune's route would have been about breaking her personality and turning her into a demure girl with masochistic tendencies. I don't particularly dislike that route, but I've played it a lot. Akiha, Rin, Tsugumi, Chizuru, Meiya, Mizuha, Aoba, Fione, Kazuha, Chris, another Chris, Angela, Seika, Saori, a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head...

I like that Shizune is Shizune and stays Shizune throughout the whole route. It's something new and it makes me appreciate her because of who she is, not because I "fixed" her.
MDV

Post by MDV »

The Bush/Cheney shirt sort of surprised me. Misha doesn't seem like she's into politics at all.
Jigoro was just /sp/ incarnated.
Misha not being disabled is a disappointment in a way, but it wasn't that unexpected. This was an OK route, not as touching as Emi's, but still pretty fun to read.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

MDV wrote:The Bush/Cheney shirt sort of surprised me.
Yeah, what the hell is up with that anyway?
SpicedFig

Post by SpicedFig »

The bad end actually made me hate the hell out of Misha and Hisao. I understand what heartbreak feels like but you don't do that to someone who apparently means so much to you, simple as. Poor Shizune - she's not someone who I thought I'd ever feel sorry for in KS but ... hnnnnggg ;_;
Arcassa

Post by Arcassa »

Yuno wrote:
MDV wrote:The Bush/Cheney shirt sort of surprised me.
Yeah, what the hell is up with that anyway?
Rule of funny
Palas

Post by Palas »

For now, I need something to cheer me up. Don't let me down, Emi route!
-evil smirk-
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.