Questions about the Release

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Excited in Texas

Questions about the Release

Post by Excited in Texas »

This is mostly for the devs to answer, but I figured the info would be relevant to everyone's interests.

1) How will KS be initially released?
-- As in, will there be mirrors (MF, MU, RS.etc), a DDL link on KS servers, torrents, etc.
-- I understand that other sources will likely spring up quickly, but I'm just curious about whether we need to be concerned about fakes and overloaded servers and the like.

2) How large (roughly) will the full installer for the game be?
-- I ask because I am on a severely limited bandwidth, and would like to ensure that I have enough in the coming weeks to grab KS as soon as it releases. If I do not pre-allocate said bandwidth, I'll end up having to wait until the 15th to download it (something I really don't want to do).

Thanks in advance.
Guest Poster

Re: Questions about the Release

Post by Guest Poster »

The game itself will be around 500 MB.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

1. KS has arranged with a number of cool people to have external direct download file hosting. We won't be using Megaupload, Rapidshare, or other file-sharing services to host it. Additionally, we'll have torrents available for the game.

2. We're looking at roughly 500mb.
me8998

Post by me8998 »

I have another question, when in the day is it being released?

If it wasn't clear, I mean the time of day on the 4th.
Last edited by me8998 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madforshizune

Post by Madforshizune »

January 4th as it's stated in the blog, though the actual time is another question entirely.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The exact time and timezone has been intentionally not revealed to prevent overloading the servers in the first few minutes or something like that...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Some anon

Post by Some anon »

Mirage_GSM wrote:The exact time and timezone has been intentionally not revealed to prevent overloading the servers in the first few minutes or something like that...
Like that will stop us from overloading the servers anyway...
Misterbadguy

Post by Misterbadguy »

I think the closest estimation was a mention that it might be out by January 4th with respect to GMT. Again, it's a wise decision to not give an exact time, you often see timed releases ending up with server crashes.
HAZING
madformisha

Post by madformisha »

The flip side of the coin is it'll keep the servers over loaded for longer due to people constantly refreshing to see if the release has been put up yet.
dragonfi

Post by dragonfi »

madformisha wrote:The flip side of the coin is it'll keep the servers over loaded for longer due to people constantly refreshing to see if the release has been put up yet.
It is pureley hipothetical, but signing up for a newsletter that will send the torrent files attached to the e-mail could alleviate it to a degree.

1. No need to constantly refresh homepage.
2. Server is not overloaded, not even with the (comparativeley lightweight) torrent file downloads.

Of course, the initial seeders and the trackers might find themselves overloaded initially...
Madformisha

Post by Madformisha »

True that would work but would be a pain in the read end for the dev's to implement at such a late stage I'd think, so we'll just have to wait and see how the site copes on the 4th.
Fishpick

Post by Fishpick »

I'll just be checking it twice. Once when I get off work on the 3rd (Which is technically the 4th, since I work until 3am.) And then when I get home on the 4th (Which is technically the 5th, so it'll definitely be up then.) I don't see the need to constantly refresh the page. Just check a few times throughout the day.
Erybis

Post by Erybis »

madformisha wrote:The flip side of the coin is it'll keep the servers over loaded for longer due to people constantly refreshing to see if the release has been put up yet.
Are you kidding? I'll be F5ing this sucker the whole day. I have NOTHING to do on the fourth except to get stoned and watch Wilfred.
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

Madforshizune wrote:January 4th as it's stated in the blog, though the actual time is another question entirely.
AAaaaah after new years, the devs are trolls XD...unless they were actually held back for some reason :/ but if not they are such trolls XD
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~
Madformisha

Post by Madformisha »

They held back as it's the anniversary of the initial sticky post that started all this on /a/, so they're doing it for sentimental reasons.