Gaming Journalism

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AnonymousFromThe Internet

Gaming Journalism

Post by AnonymousFromThe Internet »

The devs should submit KS for review by major games journalists and reviewers. The hilarity of it all would be amazing if anyone actually took up the offer. "Hello, My name is Totalbiscuit and today I'm here to ask and answer one simple question, WTF is Katawa Shoujo." Also automatic 3.0 from IGN.
Brogurt

Re: Gaming Journalism

Post by Brogurt »

>KS devs have no money
>KS devs cannot pay for good scores
>KS gets bad reviews
>KS sells poorly
>4LS goes bankrupt

Yeah I don't see how this could end badly at all.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Brogurt wrote:>KS sells poorly
I think making no profit off the game is kinda the point of making it free.
Last edited by G3n0c1de on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

Brogurt wrote:>KS devs have no money
>KS devs cannot pay for good scores
>KS gets bad reviews
>KS sells poorly
>4LS goes bankrupt
Net result, nothing at all. If, at worst, nothing is to be lost, then what is the harm? Financially speaking none, but there are some issues with asking mainstream game critics to review such a niche and easily misunderstood game. The problem negative publicity. If the reviewer were very close minded, and does not see past the sex with cripples part of the game, then all his/her followers will naturally think the same thing if they have no other source of information on the project. If the game were to be brought to the attention of an actual professional game critic, it would really have to be done carefully.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Fishpick

Post by Fishpick »

While I would be personally curious to read such a review, I'm not sure if it will do any good. It may only hurt the game's image. But, I could be wrong. And even if it gets a bad score, it may still boost it's audience. I mean, how many horribly reviewed movies went on to develop a cult following? Even if it gets a bad review, it would still introduce it to new people who wouldn't hear of it otherwise. Plus it's free, so only time would be wasted in downloading it and giving it a try. The more I think about it, the more I think it'll probably work out in their favour. The people reading the review are people who probably would never have heard of it, so if they don't try it out, no harm is made. And those who heard it from other sources (ie, the people here now) won't be swayed by it.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Fakku and Kotaku already seem to have good views of the demo. They'll probably do honest reviews. (If those places actually do reviews, I wouldn't really know.)
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Also, mainstream games journalists don't do reviews of Visual Novels...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Rhaegar

Post by Rhaegar »

book reviewers seem more appropriate.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

G3n0c1de wrote:Fakku and Kotaku already seem to have good views of the demo. They'll probably do honest reviews. (If those places actually do reviews, I wouldn't really know.)
kotaku does reviews, they also do this thing where they get different people from their site to give a "yes" or "no' to the "should you buy this?" question. not that anyone's buying KS, but still. and yeah, kotaku did a couple articles on KS, I think one before the demo and one about the demo, so they'll probably cover the whole game.

I still want to see Yahtzee from Zero punctuation review KS. :lol:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

I'm surprised how thoroughly Brogurt's joke was missed...

But yeah. It's over, KS is finished.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Brogurt wrote:>4LS goes bankrupt
Shit! Everybody, sell your shares immediately!
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Fishpick

Post by Fishpick »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Also, mainstream games journalists don't do reviews of Visual Novels...
It all depends on how you define game. A visual novel on a gaming console would get reviewed. Heavy Rain for the PS3 is also not much of a game. It's literally a more cinematic visual novel. Sort of a "choose your own adventure movie". But that got reviewed. Basically, as long as it has an interactive component (even if it's just making choices) it's considered a video game. And Katawa Shoujo falls in that category.
Drkstrm

Post by Drkstrm »

Mercutio wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:Fakku and Kotaku already seem to have good views of the demo. They'll probably do honest reviews. (If those places actually do reviews, I wouldn't really know.)
kotaku does reviews, they also do this thing where they get different people from their site to give a "yes" or "no' to the "should you buy this?" question. not that anyone's buying KS, but still. and yeah, kotaku did a couple articles on KS, I think one before the demo and one about the demo, so they'll probably cover the whole game.

I still want to see Yahtzee from Zero punctuation review KS. :lol:
Kotaku did an article, though it was part of a monthly thing that "deals with the cultural issues surrounding games and gamers" rather than just about the game. Which is okay. It got something. If Kotaku does a "gut-check" for this, unless it's a no, they're idiots. Not because this is crap (because it isn't), but because it's basically to answer if you should buy it. And this is free. Unless there's some massive last-minute change and we're all charged £82 for this. Specifically £82 though. Anything more or less will make it not worth any kind of hassle.

And I doubt there'll be a Zero Punctuation for this. I don't think Yahtzee likes this kind of stuff.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Drkstrm wrote:
Mercutio wrote:I still want to see Yahtzee from Zero punctuation review KS. :lol:
I doubt there'll be a Zero Punctuation for this. I don't think Yahtzee likes this kind of stuff.
But the whole reason to watch his reviews is for the things he hates…
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Jolon

Post by Jolon »

As I recall, he confessed to playing a few visual novels. Combined with the unusually pronounced Australian presence behind KS's development, perhaps he could consider it?

His hands are likely constrained by the fact that it's a job rather than just a hobby, but I think it'd be an amusing thing to see even so.