Can't we all just be friends?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Re: Can't we all just be friends?

Post by Guest »

If all the art in the artbook was available online, there would be no reason to even have an artbook because most people could just look at it online and print their own.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Yubiseiharukana wrote:
Shades of Grey wrote:...but do try and understand why this might have caused some unhappiness with others.
I do, hence my last sentence in my original post. I get that people are disappointed, and I totally understand that. Rather, where my comment was directed was towards the people that posted their disappointment in an extremely inappropriate manner, and you hit the nail on the head. I think that the anonymity the internet provides allows people to act much less like themselves.
I think it's more like acting like thier real selves rather than the false front people put up when face to face with others.
Fishpick

Post by Fishpick »

Otakumon wrote:
Yubiseiharukana wrote:
Shades of Grey wrote:...but do try and understand why this might have caused some unhappiness with others.
I do, hence my last sentence in my original post. I get that people are disappointed, and I totally understand that. Rather, where my comment was directed was towards the people that posted their disappointment in an extremely inappropriate manner, and you hit the nail on the head. I think that the anonymity the internet provides allows people to act much less like themselves.
I think it's more like acting like thier real selves rather than the false front people put up when face to face with others.
This has been heavily debated. The more anonymous you are, the more heavily your emotions are conveyed. This has been documented and replicated many times. But you are also more likely to be influenced by a group, and to go along with whatever they are doing. Does this sound more like "being yourself?" Then again, people are more honest when they're anonymous. So I think a mixture of both occurs. People lose a piece of themselve, but also show themselves more.

But then, what is ones true self? Do we even have one? It's a very difficult thing to answer.
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

Nobody is their "true" self. There is no such thing as a "true" self. We have a basic identity, but we mold ourselves to fit different groups of people. I act one way with some of my friends, but when I'm with a different group of friends, I act differently. I can't stop it and I don't try to. It's basic survival instinct. You don't want to be outcasted from the group, otherwise you would starve. Even though that isn't necessarily the case anymore, the brain still processes it the same way.

So there, your very difficult question has been answered.
shade0o

Post by shade0o »

Personally I was hopping for a birthday release...
Today would of been nice but doubt Its going happen now since its 20 minutes to midnight now...

Christmas release (which a lot of people are hopping for) would be nice but since ill be alone that day
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:Nobody is their "true" self. There is no such thing as a "true" self. We have a basic identity, but we mold ourselves to fit different groups of people. I act one way with some of my friends, but when I'm with a different group of friends, I act differently. I can't stop it and I don't try to. It's basic survival instinct. You don't want to be outcasted from the group, otherwise you would starve. Even though that isn't necessarily the case anymore, the brain still processes it the same way.

I suppose I'll minutely contest that. I agree completely that people mold based on who they hang out with, instinct, and so on, but couldn't you call your "true self" the person you act like when not influenced by any of these outside factors? Not like when you're on the internet, because the web gives you the freedom to act like a jerk with no repercussions (thus morphing one's attitude), but rather when you're by yourself watching television (or whatever one's hobby is) leisurely in a comfortable environment. Wouldn't that be one's true self?
Guest wrote:If all the art in the artbook was available online, there would be no reason to even have an artbook because most people could just look at it online and print their own.
I apologize for the incorrect information I posted then. Still, I don't think this warrants one to go ALL CAPS RAGE on the devs.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
Aero

Post by Aero »

I think its worth pointing out that the only reason Japan is getting exclusive content is because fans of the demo in Japan put in the effort to make it themselves.
In theory, it's no different than one of us Westerners drawing a bunch of really good pictures of the girls and calling it an artbook, isn't it?
Yubiseiharukana

Aero wrote:I think its worth pointing out that the only reason Japan is getting exclusive content is because fans of the demo in Japan put in the effort to make it themselves.
In theory, it's no different than one of us Westerners drawing a bunch of really good pictures of the girls and calling it an artbook, isn't it?
At least in the case of Fragments of Summer, some of the images are drawn by the games' artists, so it's not quite the same, but I get your point. I'm sure if other groups of people put forth the effort that the Japanese Translation team has provided then something similar could be produced in other cultures. Alas, we spend all of our time whining about why we can't get preferential treatment rather than doing something ourselves. Oh well.
- Emo Philips
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Yubiseiharukana wrote:At least in the case of Fragments of Summer, some of the images are drawn by the games' artists, so it's not quite the same, but I get your point. I'm sure if other groups of people put forth the effort that the Japanese Translation team has provided then something similar could be produced in other cultures. Alas, we spend all of our time whining about why we can't get preferential treatment rather than doing something ourselves. Oh well.
Some dev artists contributed to all 3 of the art books. The JP translation team did the organizing and assembly of the books.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

The people objecting to the artbook have overlooked two important facts:
-While dev artists have contributed, the artbook is overall a fan-created project made by the Japanese translation team.
-While Japan gets two artbooks, English speakers get the full game first. (I believe the... Italian?... translation will come out at the same time, but everyone else has to wait.)

All in all, I think English groups are getting a better deal.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Fishpick

Post by Fishpick »

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:Nobody is their "true" self. There is no such thing as a "true" self. We have a basic identity, but we mold ourselves to fit different groups of people. I act one way with some of my friends, but when I'm with a different group of friends, I act differently. I can't stop it and I don't try to. It's basic survival instinct. You don't want to be outcasted from the group, otherwise you would starve. Even though that isn't necessarily the case anymore, the brain still processes it the same way.

I studied Psychology for five years. I already have my bachelor's degree, and I'm working towards my Masters. My phd will follow. Your explanation has been given in the past, and it has been heavily debated among the experts. Some agree, others don't. While my personal belief is more closely aligned with yours, there isn't any conclusive evidence for or against. Therefore it cannot be considered fact.

I don't really want to turn this thread into a debate on this subject though, so I'll leave it at that. Besides, I do mostly agree with you. My only real issue is your use of the word instinct. Our social roles are not instincts by the scientific definition. But that's only a minor flaw with your argument.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

DMGnome wrote:(I believe the... Italian?... translation will come out at the same time, but everyone else has to wait.)

I wish. I haven't given myself any unfair advantage over the other TL teams this time around, so no, no IT translation simultaneous with release.

It'll be a fun race to be first, though. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Silentcook wrote:It'll be a fun race to be first, though. :)
Why am I looking forward to that? The only language I know is English.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Bara

Post by Bara »

Silentcook wrote:
DMGnome wrote:(I believe the... Italian?... translation will come out at the same time, but everyone else has to wait.)

I wish. I haven't given myself any unfair advantage over the other TL teams this time around, so no, no IT translation simultaneous with release.

It'll be a fun race to be first, though. :)
Bah; steal a march on everyone like a Condottiere of old and release the Italian version before the English. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Yubiseiharukana

Bara wrote:Bah; steal a march on everyone like a Condottiere of old and release the Italian version before the English. :lol:
Why does this make me want to play Assassin's Creed 2? :lol:
DMGnome wrote:All in all, I think English groups are getting a better deal.
Totally agree with that sentiment :D . But the world would just fall apart if people were happy with what they had, even if it is a great deal :? .
- Emo Philips