Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

encrypted12345

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by encrypted12345 »

OneMore wrote:That would be Utsuge/Nakige tags.
Nakiges don't necessarily cause soul crushing despair, they are just very emotional. I believe that they are generally happier than Utsuges. You're still bound to cry though especially if you are the emotional type. At the very least, it's possible to get a happy ending in a nakige, but nearly impossible (if it is possible) to get a happy ending in a Utsuge.

For example, Fate Stay Night is a nakige because while it does have a lot of soul-wrenching moments, there's still a bittersweet ending at the end. Unless you get one of the 40 bad ends, of course. Or get the infamous Normal end.

However, Kana Little Sister is an Utsuge because... there's only one happy ending and even that manages to be bittersweet. The heroine dies in all other endings.
Duncan Idaho

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Yeah I saw those, but those tags didn't wind up helping as much as I had hoped they would. For example Fate Stay Night wasn't listed as a Nakige and that one was particularly heart wrenching for me, whereas Yume Miru Kusuri is listed as one, but I rather enjoyed that one.
I fight for the users

Also:
Shizune = Lilly > Emi > Misha > ... > Rin = Hanako
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Duncan Idaho wrote:
Yeah I saw those, but those tags didn't wind up helping as much as I had hoped they would. For example Fate Stay Night wasn't listed as a Nakige and that one was particularly heart wrenching for me, whereas Yume Miru Kusuri is listed as one, but I rather enjoyed that one.
Let me think of some good VNs without soul crushing despair. ... Family Project (By the maker of Yume Miru Kusuri) ..... err... Monster Girl Quest (a good affectionate parody of RPGs) ... Sengoku Rance (a hilarious and epicly audacious affectionate parody of RPGs) and ... errr... yeah, it's hard to find something without soul crushing despair and is not some nukige. Even those three have some sad moments. Personally, I like it if a VN makes me experience soul crushing despair and cry (MANLY) tears and somehow achieves a happyish ending like in Fate Stay Night.

EDIT: Oh, I remember a good one. Princess Waltz has the awesome of Fate Stay Night without nearly as much despair... not that the game won't make you tear up. At least it's not comparable to the sheer cruelty that is the Heaven's Feel route...
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Idaho

Post by Duncan Idaho »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Duncan Idaho wrote:
Let me think of some good VNs without soul crushing despair. ... Family Project (By the maker of Yume Miru Kusuri) ..... err... Monster Girl Quest (a good affectionate parody of RPGs) ... Sengoku Rance (a hilarious and epicly audacious affectionate parody of RPGs) and ... errr... yeah, it's hard to find something without soul crushing despair and is not some nukige. Even those three have some sad moments. Personally, I like it if a VN makes me experience soul crushing despair and cry (MANLY) tears and somehow achieves a happyish ending like in Fate Stay Night.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look those up. I don't mind sadness, that's not necessarily the issue, but for example with Fate Stay Night I didn't really find that ending to be remotely happyish, I think I can see how people would but for me it wasn't, and really I just need a happier ending than that. Ultimate Blade Works was good, I should note.
I fight for the users

Also:
Shizune = Lilly > Emi > Misha > ... > Rin = Hanako
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Duncan Idaho wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
Duncan Idaho wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look those up. I don't mind sadness, that's not necessarily the issue, but for example with Fate Stay Night I didn't really find that ending to be remotely happyish, I think I can see how people would but for me it wasn't, and really I just need a happier ending than that. Ultimate Blade Works was good, I should note.
In that case, try some of AkabeiSoft2 works, namely Sharin no Kuni and G-Senjou no Maou. The despair is absurdly soul crushing, and the scenario writer trolls you A LOT, but the endings are very happy.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Censuur wrote:Is there actually a translation for Baldr sky? I looked it up a bit and am very interested, but I cant find a translation anywhere :(
The game's pretty much impossible to translate or would take more than a year with a full time team. I dare say that the each storyline is longer than F/SN's excluding gameplay, and there's a total of six routes to complete instead of three. You'd be compelled to finish every single one of them though; they're way too good to be skipped.

Just use ITH/TA or AGTH/ATLAS, the machine translation for this story is exceptionally clear.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
OneMore

Post by OneMore »

Xuan wrote:Just use ITH/TA or AGTH/ATLAS, the machine translation for this story is exceptionally clear.
Why? What does it depend on?
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

You mean why it's clear? Not sure, but probably because it uses a lot less slang unlike certain VNs.
Censuur

Post by Censuur »

Skip Sharin no Kuni or read it before G-Senjou no Maou, Sharin no Kuni is pretty bad, it does a ton of nonsensical bullshit just to make the lives of the protagonists more horrible to the point where it really stops making sense and becomes overly apparent that the writer is just trying to put the characters in as horrible a situation as possible and casting aside all believability.

That said, the first two chapters were OK (if you ignore the laughable intro where your colleague gets shot and killed for being slightly late to a meeting... by the guy who's supposedly a personification of the societies legal system...) The story is overall very inconsistent, but its passable in the first two chapters, it goes indigo-prophecy syndrome after that.

G-enjou no Maou is a much better story overall and has better endings to boot (still stupidly tedious to get all endings but not as bad as in Sharin no Kuni) though I found the "true" end a little disappointing (it basically goes out of its way to do something utterly retarded to make the protagonists life crappy once again.

If you're looking for a truly good soul-wrenching story I would recommend muv-luv (despite the stupid name >_>) the first part (called muv-luv extra I believe) is a very light-hearted and silly romantic comedy, used to set the contrast for the next two parts, where the protagonist basically gets torn out of his happy life and thrown into a horrible situation, muv-luv unlimited then goes on to describe and underline the protagonists new situation, and as such the atmosphere stays fairly positive throughout, toward the end the setup for muv-luv alternative is delivered, and with alternative being longer than the other two parts combined this is the real main story, even if at some point the first two parts are not to your liking, do yourself a favour and keep reading.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Censuur wrote:Skip Sharin no Kuni or read it before G-Senjou no Maou, Sharin no Kuni is pretty bad, it does a ton of nonsensical bullshit just to make the lives of the protagonists more horrible to the point where it really stops making sense and becomes overly apparent that the writer is just trying to put the characters in as horrible a situation as possible and casting aside all believability.

That said, the first two chapters were OK (if you ignore the laughable intro where your colleague gets shot and killed for being slightly late to a meeting... by the guy who's supposedly a personification of the societies legal system...) The story is overall very inconsistent, but its passable in the first two chapters, it goes indigo-prophecy syndrome after that.

G-enjou no Maou is a much better story overall and has better endings to boot (still stupidly tedious to get all endings but not as bad as in Sharin no Kuni) though I found the "true" end a little disappointing (it basically goes out of its way to do something utterly retarded to make the protagonists life crappy once again.

If you're looking for a truly good soul-wrenching story I would recommend muv-luv (despite the stupid name >_>) the first part (called muv-luv extra I believe) is a very light-hearted and silly romantic comedy, used to set the contrast for the next two parts, where the protagonist basically gets torn out of his happy life and thrown into a horrible situation, muv-luv unlimited then goes on to describe and underline the protagonists new situation, and as such the atmosphere stays fairly positive throughout, toward the end the setup for muv-luv alternative is delivered, and with alternative being longer than the other two parts combined this is the real main story, even if at some point the first two parts are not to your liking, do yourself a favour and keep reading.
I don't know how soul moving Muv Luv is, but I don't think there's any similarly themed VNs that could beat Clannad. Actually, none so far in my book for that kind of length.
Censuur

Post by Censuur »

Any chance of a brief summary of clannad? from the summary I read online it just sounds terribly cheesy and utterly generic and it seems that doesn't do it justice

So yea, what I read about Clannad basically makes it look like an overdramatised high-school romance similar to school days (which was pretty awful with all the characters acting like complete retards and not being believable human beings at all >_>)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Didn't read the VN, but I've seen the anime.
Clannad is a nice high school romance - nothing stellar, but entertaining. It's fairly obvious who's going to be the main heroine from the beginning, but that's more of a plus in my book.
Alannad - After Story however is (and this is only my opinion - there are people who liked it) a series of contrived events to make the main character miserable and an ending that is so Deus ex machina that they should have dropped it altogether.
As to the story... Well, "High school romance" sums it up pretty nicely for Clannad.
AS takes place after graduation and it is about how badly life can suck if you have bad karma...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

If you didn't play the VN, you didn't know the story. The anime is a far cry from it.
blah

Post by blah »

I loved the first season of the anime--its a cute school romance if you're into that sort of thing. But I wasn't too impressed by the second season: the first 8 episodes or so were just tying up remaining side stories like Yukine, Misae, etc.

I haven't played much of the Clannad VN, but its really good so far. I've cleared the Ryou/Kyou Route, Tomoyo Route, and I'm almost done with Fuuko. If you don't like slice-of-life and slow-moving plots, don't bother. But I've enjoyed it.

On another note, I've played the Fate Route on Fate/Stay Night, and that's as far as I've gotten. I can't quite bring myself to continue after that.:(
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

blah wrote:I loved the first season of the anime--its a cute school romance if you're into that sort of thing. But I wasn't too impressed by the second season: the first 8 episodes or so were just tying up remaining side stories like Yukine, Misae, etc.

I haven't played much of the Clannad VN, but its really good so far. I've cleared the Ryou/Kyou Route, Tomoyo Route, and I'm almost done with Fuuko. If you don't like slice-of-life and slow-moving plots, don't bother. But I've enjoyed it.

On another note, I've played the Fate Route on Fate/Stay Night, and that's as far as I've gotten. I can't quite bring myself to continue after that.:(
I really do need to find time to play Clannad and the other Key Games. Gotta let out those manly tears after all.

In any case, compared to the other two routes of Fate Stay Night, the Fate Route is bad. The second route, Unlimited Blade Works, is generally considered to be awesome and by many to be the best. The last route, Heaven's Feel is ... love or hate. It's my favorite route, but other people just don't like it due to its heroine, slow pace, or contradicting themes (from the other two routes). I believe it makes a nice conclusion to the game overall because of said themes, but whatever.