Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gaheris Black

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Gaheris Black »

Shades of gray wrote:
griffon8 wrote:Congratulations, Shades of gray. You are currently 9 points ahead of me. I will not be catching up to you any time soon.

For some reason—maybe the new version of Firefox—my computer isn't folding as quickly as it was a week ago. :?
lol, you can catch up easy, im not going to be folding for a few days... my PSU is making some god awful rattling, so its time to replace that.

first one of my HDs.. (just died, 300 gigs of data I downlo... i mean... Acquired from a year back)
now my PSU.. was proably the PSU that killed my HD... but my god.. my pc is silent, now all i hear is WhiirrrRRRRrrr constantly.

I think all the folding ive done was stressing the PSU... (it was borderlining my power needs as was) time to upgrade... hmm 800 or 1000 watts should do it (im planning ahead, still have the 560 TI to think about)

I also OCed my I7 920 to 3.4Ghz... so that was another power drain
ahhh, this recalls me about a year ago when I accidently plugged my ex-roommate's external 1tb hard drive with my +1amp-overall laptop ac/dc power adapter... Goodbye acquired movies !

Since you and Kota are both on SLI mode : can you run 2 GPU clients simultaneously ? Or am I just missing something like *most GPU have multiple core and etc, etc.*
Oh and yeah Corsair makes some great PSU.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

can only run 1 client at a time ( or 2 if you run one for gpu and 1 for cpu) SLI just gives a slight boost to folding
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Kota

Post by Kota »

I don't GPU fold anymore, but it's simple. You just specify the GPU to use as a command line argument and boot up a separate process for each card.

GPU folding wouldn't benefit me much, I've only got 2x9800gt and a pair of radeons.
2600k 4.5GHz bigadv folder, occasionally an additional 860 2.8GHz smp folder.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

well, sadly I now have a shiny new 6970 2GB

I am, and always will be, a gamer first and foremost.

cant use it until my new power supply arrives (thursday or friday)

I am aware that the Radeons aren't too hot for folding (although i hear that has been improved with the Beta V7)

will see how things go.

once the power supply is here ill be reinstalling win 7 (64-bit this time)

urgh, and tomorrow i have to see my doctor (check and see if my transplant is doing its job) AND backup my data...

hmm, either way, my PPD is only about 1200-1600
at least the radeon should get 4000+
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

Well, just a quick little guide for anyone using a Radeon 6xxx like myself :

Grab the V7 beta here : https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... etaRelease
Just express install it.
Put in your user name and the team number (167809) and under preferred mode select GPU.
once thats done, on the right you will see a box that says Novice... click and change that to advanced.
now click on configure and select the slots tab.
you will see gpu listed there click it then click on edit.
on the Extra slots, click the Add button

now, in the name field type client-type
in the Value field type advanced

save all that and wait for fahcore 16 WUs.

My Radeon 6970 is currently doing a WUs worth 1600+ points (any WU that doesnt use fahcore 16 usually gives me 300-700 points)

if anyone wants me to post screenshots, just ask and I'll edit them in.

there are ways to increase the speed of a WU. but as i havent played with that (yet) I will leave that alone for now.

Please also note that the V7 beta client is just that, a beta.
bjwasdf

Post by bjwasdf »

Oh hey guys.
Hi there, I'm very new to this, so if you'd kindly assist me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

(Stats: Intel Core 2 Duo P9300, 2.26Ghz. 4GB RAM. nVidia GeForce G 105M, 512MB DDR3. Win7 32-bit.)
Got F@H v6.23 set up with everything in place, just wondering about a few things:

1. Should I move up to v7beta?
2. Banners! Where did you all get them?

Thanks!
Petermeter

Post by Petermeter »

Sorry, can't help you there, bro. You'll probably be juuust fine with the "original" program.
Also just joined F@H, finally convinced myself that my slow-ass laptop is better than nothing at all. May be able to contribute at least a bit :)
Good job by the way on the computing this team did so far!
Ranking after act 1:
Hanako > Rin >> Lilly > Shizune > Emi
I played the routes in that order, every ending and all.
Ranking after full playthrough:
Lilly > Emi >> Rin ~ Hanako > Shizune
Fuin

Post by Fuin »

bjwasdf wrote: 2. Banners! Where did you all get them?
Click on User Control Panel, Profile and Edit signature. Enter your F@H nick between the fahsign tags like shown below.

Code: Select all

[fahsign]Nick[/fahsign]
bjwasdf

Post by bjwasdf »

Fuin wrote:
Click on User Control Panel, Profile and Edit signature. Enter your F@H nick between the fahsign tags like shown below.

[fahsign]Nick[/fahsign]
All right, thanks! Though it seems that I won't be doing so immediately since my first WU is 250k steps long... and I'm on 212k... :lol:
caterham_se7en

Post by caterham_se7en »

Fuin wrote:

[fahsign]Nick[/fahsign]
Thanks for the tip... been lurking forever but I finally decided to make an account after I found this.
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

Hello all...(again)

Just a few new things to report :

F@H V7 Beta Client has been updated to 1.38. Get it here https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... etaRelease

seems that Radeon 6900 series has been optimized a bit. i now read as having 10-14k PPD with my Radeon 6970 instead of 6-7k a day

I'm also now pulling in bonus credit on SMP, current WU is estimating : 48173.74 points on completion (3 days to complete it though, gonna up my OC to 3.6 or 3.8Ghz)

*EDIT*
bjwasdf wrote:Oh hey guys.
Hi there, I'm very new to this, so if you'd kindly assist me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

(Stats: Intel Core 2 Duo P9300, 2.26Ghz. 4GB RAM. nVidia GeForce G 105M, 512MB DDR3. Win7 32-bit.)
Got F@H v6.23 set up with everything in place, just wondering about a few things:

1. Should I move up to v7beta?
That question is a bit iffy to answer... you may get more points with the V7 Beta, but as it says, its a Beta. and as such, subject to change, errors and bugs (i havent had any issues, but then i HAD to use the beta due to my card)

Nvidia G cards net good PPD... even the older ones.

I'd recommend trying the beta, and if you have no problems, check your PPD on V7 and compare to V6.23, if its better, stick with it, if not, hop back to V6 and delete the beta.
Bara

Post by Bara »

It looks like Wokka is going to pass my barely folding self and take over the number one spot on the KS Folding@Home team. Good job there Wokka. Long may you reign. :)

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

well dangit... looks like im going to miss the bonus points on this WU... stopped for a while to try and get a better OC, screwed it up :/ (well... not quite... i was aiming for a 3.6 or a 3.8 OC... only got to 3.5 so far. will be shooting for a 4.0 OC once i get a new cooler, for now i'll be aiming to get it as high as temp will allow) and i had a power cut, so (if my estimating, which has a few minutes added to be on the safe side) i'll miss the bonus points by 8 hours

I've gotta sort my OC out soon

*EDIT* seems that extra .1Ghz has made a difference, ill make the bonus points with time to spare by the looks of it. i also found out why my OC wasn't sticking, gotta update my motherboard BIOS, gonna wait until this WU is done first... knowing my luck I'll screw it up somewhere and spend a few hours getting the OC jusssst right. now comes the question... do i aim for 3.8 or go for that golden 4Ghz?
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

and now im completely screwed.
one of my RAM sticks have died (its a OCZ, go figure) and My OC isnt recognised by windows anymore (I had it at a nice stable 3.5Ghz) WEI displays stock speed, CPU-Z displays a speed faster then what is set.

Urg...

worst case scenario : I RMA both the RAM and The motherboard and get replacements.

Either way, I'm out of the Folding for a bit until i get things sorted

*UPDATE* I'm back in action! New Ram, and re-OCed to 3.5Ghz (most stable for me ATM)
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

Well, i seem to have found my current limit for my CPU

I7 920 C0 @ 3.5Ghz
GA-EX58-UD5
6 Gb RAM
Radeon 6970
850w PSU
Antec Nine Hundred Case, No water cooling here :P
Highest temp while folding both SMP + GPU : 76 C (SMP Only temp : 65 C) on lowest fan settings

may upgrade to water cooling at some point, but this works for me at the moment.
PPD for the 6970 : 8-10k
PPD for the 920 : Unknown (*Edit* forgot my old passkey, so... yeah... just gotta do 10 WUs again...)

will edit in my 920s points once i know.