Scandal! KS Forums discriminating against visually impaired!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Galandar

Scandal! KS Forums discriminating against visually impaired!

Post by Galandar »

So, after reading the threads here for quite a while, i decided to join yesterday evening to participate actively...then it happened.

When creating a new account, KS Forums prompts you to pass a security check to stop spam accounting by naming the character with purple hair.
Purple hair?
I was perplexed.
As I'm suffering from a certain form of colour blindness that lets me see colours, though, but some of them in a other way a non-visually-impaired person would, I asked myself who the hell was the one with the purple hair?

After trying what I thought would be matching candidates, I was denied every single time. So, obviously, one of the last ones I tried was Hanako, who has black hair in the way I can see it, and now we had our match. The problem was, I was blocked from registrating for the time of the current session because I had too many false inputs before. :( Also, the time of the session was not mentioned so I had to wait until now, in the morning, to create my account and log in.

A game that deals that respectfully with disabilities like KS lets its forum discriminate against the impaired...who would have thought??
Burn them, burn them on the stake for that! :evil:

Nah...don't take me that seriously. :wink:
What I'm suggesting is that you might want to change your way of checking into another question, for example, "Who is the character that wears a tie?" or "Which one wears a scarf?" or "Who has the nicest hair drills" for god's sake... :D

But it hit me hard to be blocked by a simple spam check who confronted me with a problem of mine that otherwise has hardly any relevance in my daily life.

I'm looking forward to contributing here - so keep it up! :-)

Galandar
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Re: Scandal! KS Forums discriminating against visually impai

Post by Shades of gray »

and yet you made a account, thus you never have to worry about that... ever again... i'd suggest running now... i think i hear one of the devs coming...
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
OneMore

Post by OneMore »

This forum also discriminates against blind people. Your argument is invalid. >:-|
Galandar

Post by Galandar »

@shades of gray: Well, the way there was long and rocky...because I tried to contact the mods to solve the problem (not to find me the person with the correct hair colour but rather to release the timeout then) - but guess what? No contacting possible at all until the new account exists...and I couldn't create one...that's bad.
And for other people that could come after me and experience the same problems, a simple change in the entry question could prevent a lot of displeasure...but mayve the devs are not interested in keeping the boards user-friendly? Who knows? :)

@onemore: Actually not, there is software to read the contents of a website to someone who might be visually impaired. But this wouldn't solve my special problem (and possibly of others), a quick change of question would.
Besides, my argument may be valid as long as...yeah, maybe something like that happened: http://verydemotivational.memebase.com/ ... rth-vader/
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Galandar wrote:I tried to contact the mods to solve the problem (not to find me the person with the correct hair colour but rather to release the timeout then) - but guess what? No contacting possible at all until the new account exists...and I couldn't create one...that's bad.
That's what the IRC is for, I suppose?

(Also, the website lists Hanako's hair as purple — you really should've thought of reading the characters page if you were unsure :))
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

I'll admit it, I lol'd.
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
PureLionHeart

Post by PureLionHeart »

So this is what happens when we're left to our own devices too long.
"We ruin the countries we govern and the people in our care. We slaughter our enemies, and sacrifice all our allies. We'll keep killing until there's nothing left but to destroy ourselves. It will never be enough. We are incorrigible warmongers, aren't we?"
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

I'll be honest, the first person I thought of as "purple" was Misha for some reason.

I really need to pay more attention.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

I believe it is also mentioned in the text of the game.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

cpl_crud wrote:I believe it is also mentioned in the text of the game.
Not to forget the "Characters"-section of the website.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

I am dyslexic and have great trouble reading. Who would have thought that a game that deals with disabilities respectfully would have been in a format that discriminates against the impaired?
Supaflames

Post by Supaflames »

purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:I am dyslexic and have great trouble reading. Who would have thought that a game that deals with disabilities respectfully would have been in a format that discriminates against the impaired?
lols trolls be trollin'
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Supaflames wrote:
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character wrote:I am dyslexic and have great trouble reading. Who would have thought that a game that deals with disabilities respectfully would have been in a format that discriminates against the impaired?
lols trolls be trollin'
trlols be trlolin'