Design your character!

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Raiden

Design your character!

Post by Raiden »

This I think will be an interesting topic that I just thought about and I would love to see the results.

The question is: if you could add one character in katawa shoujo, who would they be? What would they look like? What would be their disability? What would be their backstory? Make sure to add stuff like height, weight, birthday, hair color, etc. Even Drawings would be acceptable. Not only would this be good for speculation, but maybe the devs could get get some great ideas for the future (doubt it though).

Have fun. I'm sure a lot of you will have very interesting ideas.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe..."
-Albert Einstein

Friends are temporary, love is eternal.
russianspy1234

Re: Design your character!

Post by russianspy1234 »

There was actually a contest for this a while back... I wonder if all the entries are still available...

Here we go
http://katawa-shoujo.deviantart.com/blog/30593713/
Eora

Post by Eora »

I'll try this.
Though I already have a character with a disability but he belongs to my own project lol
"Enjoy life and... shut up."
- Said by me when I had friends at my place and we were eating meatballs.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

This sounds fun.

Toby Unger
Birthday: Aug 6
Height: 157 cm
Weight: 54 kg
Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Disability: Osteogenesis imperfecta (Brittle Bone Disease)

Toby is a transfer student from America, moving to Japan with his family when his father was promoted and transfered to his company's home office in Tokyo. He was enrolled in Yamaku on recommendation of the school from some of his father's coworkers. He was born with type 1 Osteogenesis imperfecta. Due to his condition he is shorter and slighter built than typical boys his age, which he is extremely self conscious of. He wears elbow and knee pads when moving between classes and adds a bicycle helmet when outdoors. He finds it embaressing and unnecessary but does so to keep his promise to his parents. He also wears slightly tinted glasses to hide the blue tint of his sclera (whites of the eyes) that has been a source of much teasing in his youth. They are non-prescription glasses since he has no vision problems. He also wears a hearing aid since his condition is causing a slow loss of hearing over time, and he is proficient in American sign language and started studying Japanese sign since learning he would be moving to Japan. He is struggling to learn both spoken and written Japanese and has recenlty struck a deal with Hisao Nakai to teach him Japanese and American sign in exchange for help with his Japanese lessons. He is an avid photographer and one of the first things he did upon arriving at Yamaku was to join the photography club and sometimes does assignments for the newspaper club.

It occured to me while writing this that if Hanako has read Dune she might possibly freak out the first time she sees him without his glasses on. :lol:
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

Give me a day or two. I have ideas for a male and female student each.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

russianspy1234 wrote:There was actually a contest for this a while back... I wonder if all the entries are still available...
Most entries still seem to be there.

Here's Weee's picture of all the entries, with flash links to each character:
http://MerlynLeRoy.deviantart.com/art/K ... -159478152
(might take a while to load)
traitor

Post by traitor »

had a blast with russianspy1234's deviantart page, some of the entries are really good!
=============================

"BLIND!"
"FIRE!"
"LIMBS!"
"...!"
"HEART!"
"GO KATAWA"
captain katawa.png
captain katawa.png (30.49 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
a monotone voice comes out behind Captain Katawa's voicebox although she has no hands to type her message, she also wears glasses despite the fact that she's blind because that's how she rolls. She is not just a symbol, but also a savior and hero of Yamaku.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

I entered that contest. I won fifth place too (pretty good since there were like 40 entries) . Here's her info

Matsuoka Ayame (name is in Japanese order, with the surname coming first)

Birthday: April 14th (Aries)
Blood-type: AB positive
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: 67 kilograms (about 148 lbs)
BWH measurements (cm): 80-59-78
Hair/eye color: Brownish hair, blue eyes
Disability: Laryngeal cancer plus minor lung problems
Class: 3-1

And here's her bio: http://useraccount.deviantart.com/art/K ... -159109453
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

Inoue Karen

Birthday: November 14th
Height: 5'2
Weight: 134
Eyes: Caramel
Hair: Blue-black, frequently pinned up.
Conditions: Asplenia, organ recipient.

Bio: Karen led a rather unremarkable life in her early years. She went to school, got average grades, and enjoyed playing with the other neighborhood children. One favorite activity was bicycle races. When she could, Karen would ride as fast as possible. At age 8, while pedaling for dear life on the way home from school, she hit a bump in the road and slammed her stomach very hard on the handles. With the help of some classmates, she managed to get up and walk her bike back home, where she treated her scrapes and flopped into bed. Time passed and the pain in her stomach was so bad she could not get up, but thankfully she passed out. Her parents found her in this state and rushed her to the hospital, where her ruptured spleen was removed in emergency surgery.

Due to her missing organ, Karen was especially prone to diseases like flu and pneumonia, and took to wearing a mask wherever she went. Despite getting knocked down with the occasional sickness or odd hospitalization, she was determined to stay in good spirits. Still, it didn't escape her notice that er parents were getting very cold and sometimes hostile to one another. Being young, she thought that her poor health was to blame, so she didn't speak up when she got sick. This lasted until she got violently ill at school with what turned out to be end stage renal failure. Fortunately, she had an aunt who was compatible with her and was willing to donate a kidney for her. Unfortunately, with the medications she now had to take as an organ recipient on top of the ones she was already taking meant she was more vulnerable to disease. Her parent sent her to Yamaku so she could avoid the stress of divorce and be subject to careful medical attention.

Karen is still a speed demon, but most sports terrify her. The fear of contact sports is understandable, as is cycling. She wasn't terribly interested in track, and the short girl that ran into her a while ago killed any remaining desire. Her sport of choice is swimming, and can easily spend two or three hours in the water, trying to improve her times and seeing how far she can go while holding her breath. this has the unfortunate side effect of leaving her hair the consistency of straw, which she tries to hide by pinning it up and out of the way.

Her other big passion these days is in medicine. Having spent so much time in hospitals and with Nurse has given her an intense curiosity about how the body works. On weekends and whenever she isn't swimming, she can often be found in the nurse's office as a volunteer.

Aruga Sada
Birthday: June 6th
Height: 5'8
Weight: 165
Eyes: grey
Hair: Sandy, with a chronic bed head appearance
Conditions: Deaf with cochlear implants.

Sada survived meningitis in infancy, but lost his hearing. His parent were quite vexed with this and feared his isolation. He was sent to nursery school and kindergarten and part of grade school to the city school for the deaf. Having no memory of hearing, he never missed it. Besides, he was too busy playing with others. The main hiccups in his life were speech therapy and his family's insistence that he wear hearing aids and learn lip reading. Sada simply took out the hearing aids whenever he could get away with it, as he was happy being like all the other kids at school. Then in the summer of first grade, his parents had cochlear implants installed in him. He was mortified of the great stonking new hearing aid fastened to his scalp. Even worse, he was terrified that his friends would no longer like him. Whenever possible he would wear hats, bandannas or stickers over the microphone piece to muffle the noises. Despite his best efforts, Sada was eventually deemed accustomed to the implants and transferred to his local mainstream school in third grade.

In his new school, no one bothered to learn his name. He was simply "Robo" or "Cyber Head." His would constantly harass him, tap the microphone, or sometimes stab him with pins or pencils to see if he would bleed. Unsurprisingly, Sada did not take this very well and got into fights on a regular basis, sometimes several times a day. Between this and his penchant of playing truant, Sada was expelled. After lots of discussion and hesitation between themselves, the Arugas decided to send him to Yamaku, with the justification that there were many hearing students there and would not necessarily give up speaking.

Once in Yamaku, Sada flourished. For his first couple of years, he hung out with other deaf students, but he eventually branched out and befriended other children. He adores attention, both giving and receiving it, and is happiest amongst a crowd. His love of people found a wonderful outlet with the school drama club, where he can happily perform, work as a tech, and swap filthy jokes. Sada hopes to one day have the chops to join the Japan Theater for the Deaf and train with the Totto Foundation.
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
Martin Crunty

Post by Martin Crunty »

Let's make OCs!
Excellent; whilst having my morning cuppa, I was saying to myself, "Why isn't the KS forum more like deviantArt, except words instead of palette swaps."

I nominate we co-create a male character who is half blind, half deaf, half Saiyan and way past cool, if you gather my gist.
rusticarmor

Original characters here (do no steal)

Post by rusticarmor »

I'm sure I can be the only one who thought about this.

Lets have a thread about our disabled characters in Yamaku High. I'm going to post mine in a character sheet format, you dont have to, but also are welcome to use it!
No real rules apply here when it comes to characters, be as creative/mary sue as you want. Want your character to be Emi's lover instead of Hisao? Go right ahead.
Also if the writer wants it critiques are welcome. I know I sure as hell would want some haha!

Name: Allen Zeal
Hair: jelled back brown
Eye color: green
Disability: at first glace its obvious hes missing an arm on the left side, cutting off right at the elbow. But under the green uniform pants he wears a stainless steel prosthetic leg, starting half way up his left thigh. Beyond that is a single scar on the left side of his chin and usually seen walking with a crutch under his right arm.

Backstory: It was a normal ride home from middle school. In fact his last one, he had just graduated and after being taken out to pizza to celebrate with his family he was on the ride home. Until a large truck zipped past a red light and hit his families car at full force. His family surivivng with little more than cuts and bruises, he wasnt so lucky. In the end the side collision made mangled his left limbs and were amputated. He spent two years in and out of the hospital and rehab missing out on any sort of schooling. Now a year behind on his studies Allen takes tries to restart his life in Yamaku

Personality: A cynical guy, Allen sort of have an odd outlook on life. Though at times his mood seems down at best, he always talks positively toward people trying to cheer them up, usually using the phrase "hey at least you're not as screwed up as me!" He laughs serious matters and takes insults with a grain of salt. Hes always had a passion for writing, but as fate had it, he was also left handed, making his hand writing chicken scratch at best, so he carries a small laptop with him everywhere to write in instead of a journal. Hes not the most social guy, but enjoys public places. Always writing in the library (great for research in case he needs it for his work) or just sit in the park and watch the unique people go by. In the end he may not show it but is really grateful to be alive and to go to such a school like Yamaku
kosherbacon

Re: Original characters here (do no steal)

Post by kosherbacon »

You're not the first one, buddy. There actually was a deviant-art contest on KS OCs a while back and several fanfic authors have come up with OCs. Hell, I came up with a whole school where the characters are crazy instead of crippled.
rusticarmor

Post by rusticarmor »

I had a feeling there probably was, but I didn't see a thread so I thought i might as well make one
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I don't like to publish bios of my OCs. I feel it's a cheap way of getting around introducing them through the story.
It's much more satisfying to get to know the characters by their actions (and thoughts, depending on the narrative style chosen), both for the reader and for the writer.
I do have bios of my characters, but those are for my use only (sometimes I share them with my proofreaders as well).
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.