Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CindehQ

Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by CindehQ »

Pretty much as the title implies, imagine all the sexes are switched in KS. Any major differences?

- Hisao. Can't imagine him/her being any different, perhaps shyer.
- Lily comes off as "princely" and "heroic" (prince charming) , expect blind samurai jokes. For some reason I can see Lily's male name being Philip.
- Hanako becomes Hanataro. Screams "bottom" with every fiber of his being. Alternately, he could end up being more of a brooding loner, since Hanako's shyness would be less tolerated in a male.
- Rin. Nothing changes. Expect Hisao to be utterly offended at the "it's in your pants" comment.
- Emi. Due to cutesy, boyish looks, often overcompensates by acting stereotypically "manly" at times; such as trying to be a total suave gentleman toward Hisao. Bit of a health nut / gym bunny.
- Shizune. (Shizuo?) Pretty much the same, M!Lily views him as a tyrant who needs to be vanquished. When he gets excited his glasses become opaque. The roles would be switched during the throwing balls scene. F!Hisao would try to get the plushie and get lightheaded, M!Shizune would then challenge M!Misha to a competition to see who can win the plush prize (loser buys drinks), but it's actually a thinly veiled excuse to try and cheer Hisao up. Somehow I can picture him signing "Just as planned" with the face and everything.
- Misha. Plays the "bromantic foil" (as TVTropes puts it) role. Boisterous, clueless, flirty, and loads of fun but a total butt monkey who couldn't get a girl to save his life.
- Kenji. (Keiko?) Straw feminist. Blames all her problems on men. Considers bras symbols of oppression.
Last edited by CindehQ on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Ar Grathnos

Re: Genderbender

Post by Ar Grathnos »

Too much of this makes too much sense. :/

Is it weird that I like the idea you presented of a male Shizune better than the real female Shizune? Also, male Misha would be a total Bro. Too bad he wouldn't have his own path. :!:
My order of favorites; Hanako=Lilly>=Rin>=Emi>>>>Shizune
I'm crazy, what of it?
moonpalace

Post by moonpalace »

I also think it's funny that Kenji would have his role reversed and then rather than being a walking political mistake, suddenly her extreme anti male views would be arguably justified and acceptable.

That was a really great alternate depiction of the game.
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

Ar Grathnos wrote:Too much of this makes too much sense. :/
Agree 100% :lol:
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Your descriptions are really great. This subject has been discussed several times before (on this very forum, no less), but you're the first one who really has a good feel for the characters if they were genderbended.
X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

I liked it, particularly the new throwing balls scene.
Would that be Katawa Shounen? Now to get someone to actually make it... :)
CindehQ wrote:- Shizune. Pretty much the same, M!Lily views him as a tyrant who needs to be vanquished.
>views

Heh.
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Ar Grathnos wrote:Too much of this makes too much sense. :/

Is it weird that I like the idea you presented of a male Shizune better than the real female Shizune? Also, male Misha would be a total Bro. Too bad he wouldn't have his own path. :!:
Well thank you. :D Anyways, I can totally see M!Misha falling for (or falling back in love, if Fanon is to be believed) F!Kenji and her "difficult"-ness. Bros in anime and manga are designed to attract slapstick, so a straw feminist would be perfect for out tactless M!Misha. Classic Takahashi couple.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

CindehQ wrote: Anyways, I can totally see M!Misha falling for (or falling back in love, if Fanon is to be believed) F!Kenji and her "difficult"-ness. Bros in anime and manga are designed to attract slapstick, so a straw feminist would be perfect for out tactless M!Misha.
Oh God yes!

When translating male-Shizune's sign language, bro-Misha would constantly make things up and say things that Shizune didn't actually sign to him. For example, when male Shizune "talks" to a girl, bro-Misha would translate it as "He says he likes your boobs."
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Panty Supervisor wrote:
CindehQ wrote: Anyways, I can totally see M!Misha falling for (or falling back in love, if Fanon is to be believed) F!Kenji and her "difficult"-ness. Bros in anime and manga are designed to attract slapstick, so a straw feminist would be perfect for out tactless M!Misha.
Oh God yes!

When translating male-Shizune's sign language, bro-Misha would constantly make things up and say things that Shizune didn't actually sign to him. For example, when male Shizune "talks" to a girl, bro-Misha would translate it as "He says he likes your boobs."
Yes. This so hard. Of course, Misha being Misha (no matter what sex), would be ditzy enough to sign his own made up translations purely by reflex.

"He says he likes your boobs. *slapped in the back of the head by Shizune* OW! How'd you know?"
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
PasterOfMuppets

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

If you guys were a girl in this universe, who would you go for?
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
tarisb

Post by tarisb »

Panty Supervisor wrote:
Oh God yes!

I can image Misha getting in trouble for sexual harassment on a daily basis :D.

PasterOfMuppets wrote:If you guys were a girl in this universe, who would you go for?
Probably Rin still, heh.
moonpalace

Post by moonpalace »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:If you guys were a girl in this universe, who would you go for?
Akio Hayashi (if that is his name) without a doubt.

Why? If that class roster picture on the shimmie is true then he is in the literature club so we have something in common to start with and I really feel sorry for him with his condition - whether it's actually osteoporosis, which a friend I knew at school had in his legs, or chronic arthritis or whatever it is that necessitates his cane.

Besides he looks great and seems like a quiet, laidback guy regardless of how much his disability has in had in that. I would be his white maiden for forever.

All the other guys look a bit too outgoing and masculine for my tastes. And having said all that, I wonder how wrong I am about it.
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

So, will Akira be a super-feminine, shy drag queen in this universe?
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

Minister of Gloom wrote:So, will Akira be a super-feminine, shy drag queen in this universe?
And Hideaki would be a tomboy who wears his brother's clothes? Oh god yes.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

X_Bacon wrote:And Hideaki would be a tomboy who wears his brother's clothes? Oh god yes.
Fuck yeah, reverse traps! I like that, it's significantly less gay.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin