KS: The Fighting Game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Sajomir

Re: KS: The Fighting Game

Post by Sajomir »

Necrous wrote:I have 12+ years of experience with Tae-Kwon-Do, which is a kick-oriented martial art. If you need reference photos or videos of kicks or other motions/poses/etc, please don't hesitate to ask me! I'd LOVE to be able to contribute something to this project, and me and my webcamera are standing ready!

Edit: I'll have to tuck my arms into my sleeves or hold them behind my back for Rin's moves. It'd be rather interesting to see how one fights with "both arms tied behind their back" so to speak.
That's awesome. I tried finding Taekwondo and Muay Thai videos/photos for some of Rin's skillsets. I should be able to compensate for some of the balance issues from the arms, too. Heck, toss me a pm and let's see if we can get a start on some concepts. I trust it'd be easier to start if we have some sketches, Halkure?

If nothing else, we'll get test videos/photos out of it, and you'll have less setup work to do when he's able to work with you.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Dollywitch

Post by Dollywitch »

This is probably horribly inappropriate but it must be made!
NightlyShore

Post by NightlyShore »

Here is my first victim as sprite practice...Kenji san!

I need more detiled, such as color map, the tall of each character...(Lily should be the tallest?)

Or easier, draw the background. though planning before the whole game released is risky...
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Life decided to kneecap me with a pool cue (not literally, DAMN that'd hurt). But I am pleased to inform those that care that I have finished filming a short (just over 2 minutes long) video of me doing various kicks and looking like a tool for reference for Rin's move set. I can either continue as I planned, and edit in titles describing which kick I'm doing, and possible uses for it, or I can just hand the raw footage over and you can do whatever you like with it (except blackmail, I don't have anything worth blackmailing me for. :P)

Edit: Got the video up after kicking movie maker a few times, and then kicking YouTube a few more times. You can see it here. Thanks for being so patient, guys. As it says in the video description, if you need me to redo any moves, or want me to do something else, please don't hesitate to ask. ^_^
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

Nice! Thanks Necrous, that will be super helpful.
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Halkure wrote:Nice! Thanks Necrous, that will be super helpful.
Any time. ^_^

Learned that I should do warm-up stretches beforehand next time...
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Ah, crap, I thought you were gonna PM that stuff, I didn't think to watch the thread XD

I'll--- *is actually watching the video at the moment* this is actually really nice reference material. o.o
I remember thinking "how the hell can Rin get a high jab attack," but I think some of those forward kicks might even do the trick. They're a lot faster than I thought!

need to get to work :D
NightlyShore

Post by NightlyShore »

Your cat takes all my attention after it shows up...XD
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Thanks for the video ref, Necrous. Can you do some standing low kicks, high roundhouses and high knees? Something tells me we'll need low kicks and/or knees for quick pokes, and the roundhouse for a heavy attack. Also, if you can work out any way for an armless person to crouch and poke at somebody with one foot and not fall over, do that. I'm sure that one will be incredibly confounding to our artists too.
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Ricardo Nation wrote:Thanks for the video ref, Necrous. Can you do some standing low kicks, high roundhouses and high knees? Something tells me we'll need low kicks and/or knees for quick pokes, and the roundhouse for a heavy attack.
Once I get home, if I have time I'll get to work on those. Likely it'll have to wait until next Thurs/Friday, when I get my days off work. I'll probably have to do one or more outside at a park or summat. If you want I can do the 720-degree "Tornado Kick". I won't have enough room inside, and probably'll bash my skull on the ceiling. >_>
Ricardo Nation wrote:Also, if you can work out any way for an armless person to crouch and poke at somebody with one foot and not fall over, do that. I'm sure that one will be incredibly confounding to our artists too.
I'll think on that, but I've already got an idea that might work. Seen the Russian "Dance of the Cossaks"? Maybe one of those (modified perhaps) could work? I'll think on alternatives though. A "sweep" might work, even if it isn't used to trip the opponent...
NightlyShore wrote:Your cat takes all my attention after it shows up...XD
Heh, yeah. I barely registered that she was there, watching me be a tool on camera. That is Gaela, my Oriental Shorthair whom I've had for several years. I luvs her, and she luvs me. ^_^

Oh. And I'm out of practice, so that's 90% the reason why my moves didn't finish off back in a "ready" fighting stance. Given more practice, I might be able to remedy that, or the animators can clean that up. >_>
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Ricardo Nation wrote:Thanks for the video ref, Necrous. Can you do some standing low kicks, high roundhouses and high knees? Something tells me we'll need low kicks and/or knees for quick pokes, and the roundhouse for a heavy attack. Also, if you can work out any way for an armless person to crouch and poke at somebody with one foot and not fall over, do that. I'm sure that one will be incredibly confounding to our artists too.
Headbutts for the win. Just because one doesn't have arms doesn't mean we don't have a ton of various appendages :D
She'll probably need to do full-on shoulder rams/tackles at some point.

@Necrious:
Cossack dancing is pretty sweet, as long as we could imply it without making it look like she should lose balance. Maybe if we use "low, low" in the middle of a longer combo?
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Sajomir wrote:Headbutts for the win. Just because one doesn't have arms doesn't mean we don't have a ton of various appendages :D
She'll probably need to do full-on shoulder rams/tackles at some point.
No doubt. The biggest thing I'm trying to watch out for is a way for her to do low attacks - it's hard for her to headbutt people in the feet or something, unless we give her a full on slide attack and she dives headfirst into somebody's ankles.

Which, all told, sounds like a very Rin thing to do.
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Footage shot. Standing low kicks, standing high 'roundhouse' kicks, knees, and squatting low kicks.

Not as interesting as the first one (as if it was). You get to see me fall on my ass though. I'll post the link once I cut out the mistakes I made-- actually, I'll leave those in. They do say, after all, that one learns more from one's mistakes than from one's successes.

Edit: Video is edited and uploaded to YouTube. You can find it here.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Ricardo Nation wrote:if you can work out any way for an armless person to crouch and poke at somebody with one foot and not fall over, do that. I'm sure that one will be incredibly confounding to our artists too.
Have a look at these characters:
Tohno
W.Len
Suika
Youmu
Marisa
Meiling

There's reference there for both heavy and light crouch kicks, without hands touching the ground. I dunno if any of these moves would go well with the style you guys are going for with Rin, as i haven't been following the thread, but I'd say it's worth checking out.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Thanks for that, Roy-Kr! I was worried I'd have to make an even bigger fool of myself working on that move.