Are You Ready For Release?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirage_GSM

Re: Are You Ready For Release?

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I think what he meant was not programming but directing, i.e. deciding when to change the smiling sprite for the frowning one, moving a sprite from left to center or cueing the music or background changes.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Think of it this way, they still have to announce that path direction for Shizune and Rin are complete. And after that they want to do a beta, which will take at least month, probably more. Once those pass you can start getting antsy about release, but it's still a while off.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

In all honesty I know its been said it will be released this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it was like right over the border into 2012 or a month or so around that.

And I wouldn't blame them if it got pushed back, game releases get pushed back all the time, but its almost always worth the wait.

GEARS OF WAR 3 AND MASS EFFECT 3 I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!!!!!... and the KS devs hehehehehehhe :lol:
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
Nightlinks

Post by Nightlinks »

DaMan65 wrote:In all honesty I know its been said it will be released this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it was like right over the border into 2012 or a month or so around that.

And I wouldn't blame them if it got pushed back, game releases get pushed back all the time, but its almost always worth the wait.

GEARS OF WAR 3 AND MASS EFFECT 3 I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!!!!!... and the KS devs hehehehehehhe :lol:

Let's not forget Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2
As of now.
Lilly > Hanako = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Misha
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

But those are actually scheduled for 2012, aren't they?

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

Well, the Ren'py programming language works so that writing and programming can be done more-or-less concurrently. I'd think after path direction, the biggest obstacles would be debugging and copyediting.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:But those are actually scheduled for 2012, aren't they?
Yeah but Gears 3 was pushed back by 6 months it was supposed to be out already.

Mass Effect 3 as has been said in game news recently was pushed back an undisclosed amount of time

Unless your talking about the games Nightlinks mentioned in which case never mind
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

DaMan65 wrote:In all honesty I know its been said it will be released this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it was like right over the border into 2012 or a month or so around that.

As long as the devs don't pull a Duke Nukem Forever stunt, I'm happy. :)
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

The most likely scenario: They (The Devs) release it as a Christmas present.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
That's awfully nice of them :D
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

DaMan65 wrote:Unless your talking about the games Nightlinks mentioned in which case never mind
Generally, when I don't use quotes, I refer to the post directly above... but I see how this could have been misleading.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I think what he meant was not programming but directing, i.e. deciding when to change the smiling sprite for the frowning one, moving a sprite from left to center or cueing the music or background changes.
Yeah, sorry, that is what I meant, I was just tired and couldn't think of quite the right word.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Totz the Plaid wrote: Nightlinks is right. Even once the last two paths are finished being written, there's still the actual programming of the game itself, then proofreading, then beta testing, then more coding to fix the errors, then more testing, then more fixing, then repeating of the testing and fixing steps until it's finally ready, then finally release. Summer at absolute earliest. I'm currently optimistic for late August/early September.
The "programming" is the path direction which according to the status updates is finished for three of the girls and partially done for the other two. As for proofreading that'll have already been done for the acts/paths they've listed as complete. As of new years the status was thus:
Katawa Shoujo wrote: Emi path:
Writing: Path script is finalised.
Direction: Path direction is completed.

Lilly path:
Writing: Path script is finalised.
Direction: Act 3 out of 4 complete.

Hanako path:
Writing: Path script second draft finished, Act 4 in editing.
Direction: Act 2 out of 4 complete.

Rin path:
Writing: Act 4 second draft in progress.
Direction: Act 3 out of 4 complete.

Shizune path:
Writing: Act 4 second draft in progress, Act 3 in editing.
Direction: Act 2 out of 4 complete.

Overall:
Direction of Act 1 and Act 2 is complete, and Act 3 is most of the way towards completion as well. Emi path is now finalised as far as script and direction goes, aside from small-scale edits and direction tweaks to account for specifics of the art assets as they're done. The current hope is that with the game assets being in the position that they are, direction should hopefully be able to continue without stopping and waiting for acts to be written and/or edited. Art is, as usual, largely under wraps as far as progress goes. All sprites are complete for every character (barring the odd expression or two that's sometimes needed during direction), so the artists are working on completing the remaining CGs and cutins. On the CG side, there are very few CGs that require drawing from scratch, with most of those remaining requiring colouring before completion.
Since then Lilly and Hanakos paths have been updated to finished status and unless the people working on Rin and Shizune's paths have been doing nothing since New Years their paths probably aren't far behind. Any testing is likely to be done to find errors in the script or direction rather than problems with the code, this is due to the fact they're using the Ren'Py scripting engine so any bugs with that are out of their control and any bugs they find in their own additions (such as effects) will likely have been ironed out already. Either way the testing/proofreading is an ongoing process that the developers have been doing throughout, rather than some big process that'll happen when everything is finished.

At any rate I maintain my stance that this month or the next is optimistic but not entirely unrealistic. At least based on the information provided by the developers through the blog anyway.
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
BEST PRESENT... EVER!!!!
A1phaDrag0n

Post by A1phaDrag0n »

I only discovered this last week, imagine if I'd joined when it first started off!? I'd have gone insane... at least it looks like I'm roughly in time...
Hanako=Rin>Lilly>Misha=Emi>Shizune

"They probably think you're a furry, your signature screams it. If they don't they definitely think your a newfag..."

"... lurk moar?"

"Probably your best bet at this point..."