Literary Tastes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Saraquill

Re: Literary Tastes

Post by Saraquill »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:Lily would probably be well indulged in older stuff ( Shakespeare, Dickens, Poe, etc.)
I really don't see Lilly reading any Poe (too morbid for her, especially with the obsession over dead young women) and I'm not so sure about Shakespeare. He did write a lot for the rabble, after all. (example: "You have hair like flax on a distaff. If only a housewife would put it between her legs and spin it off." from Twelfth Night.) I also doubt she'd be keen on Titus Andronicus.

I think it would be hilarious if she read Catherine Beecher's work. (Older sister of Harriet Beecher Stowe, wrote reams and reams of paper regarding household management and young girl's education, though she never married or had her own home.) Lilly might also like stuff by Louisa May Alcott.

...And when we play further into her route, Hisao discovers her darkest secret... She has a wall of shelves filled with Harlequin romances!
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Shades of gray wrote:... why do i picture Rin reading Lord of the Flies in my mind?
Seems more appropriate for Kenji, really... also, inspired by another thread on here, I think he'd be one to miss the fact that the Onion is satire and believe every word of it.
Saraquill wrote:I think it would be hilarious if she read Catherine Beecher's work. (Older sister of Harriet Beecher Stowe, wrote reams and reams of paper regarding household management and young girl's education, though she never married or had her own home.) Lilly might also like stuff by Louisa May Alcott.
Not familliar with Catherine Beecher's stuff, but Louisa May Alcott seems pretty reasonable to me.

[quote-"Saraquill"]...And when we play further into her route, Hisao discovers her darkest secret... She has a wall of shelves filled with Harlequin romances![/quote]

Even if this doesn't happen, it would not surprise me if a Dev were to say that Lilly's a romance buff.
Deimos wrote:Well, considering that the game takes place in Japan I am sure the characters must be familiar with certain literary classics that originated in this country. I do not claim any expertise in that particular field and would certainly embarrass myself with my limited knowledge, although I find the thought amusing that Kenji would perhaps read selected works from Yukio Mishima.
This is a very good point, though I don't think much of what's been discussed is particularly obscure in the West, I'm not sure how much of it is prevalent out East. I'm sure some of the most famous stuff is, after all, Diana Wynne Jones had one of her novels turned into a popular Studio Ghibli film directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself, so I don't think it'd be a stretch to imagine Vonnegut, Dickens, etc. read over there (though I know I may very well be wrong).

Also, not familiar with Mishima's work. After looking him up, though, I can see why the thought amuses you, and it does me as well.
Warwick wrote:I... guess? :| Nothing I've read of Randian objectivism had anything to do with determinism. She just seemed like a real go-getter and would stop at nothing to get what she wants.
Purely a typo on my part, I meant objectivism, not determinism. I'll edit my original post momentarily to reflect the error and avoid further confusion. Still, Randian philosophy is a very polarizing and controversial topic and I fear it may derail the discussion if mulled over too much in here, so let's try to leave it be.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Hmmmmmmmmmm I see Shizune and Emi to be both closet Manga freaks. Especially for the most blatnely and unapolgeticaly Shoujo of Shoujo.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Saraquill wrote:
I really don't see Lilly reading any Poe (too morbid for her, especially with the obsession over dead young women)
Exactly...
She may seem all nice on the outside...
but on the inside she probably has a thing for morbidity
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:
Saraquill wrote:
I really don't see Lilly reading any Poe (too morbid for her, especially with the obsession over dead young women)
Exactly...
She may seem all nice on the outside...
but on the inside she probably has a thing for morbidity
Why do you suspect that?

My opinion kinda strikes a middle ground here. I think Lilly's read and even probably enjoyed (or at least appreciated) some of Poe's most famous works, but I doubt she's felt any real desire to dig into his full catalogue. "The Raven", "The Tell-Tale Heart", maybe "The Masque of Red Death", "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Fall of the House of Usher"... but not anything that wouldn't come up in a cheap paperback of his stuff. That's just my opinion on it.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who