An Armless Painter IRL

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

G3n0c1de

An Armless Painter IRL

Post by G3n0c1de »

A man named Huang Guofu lost his arms at age 4. He makes up for it by painting really fucking well.

One of his paintings:
Attachments
1302837423959_1302837423959_r.jpg
1302837423959_1302837423959_r.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
scott1and

Re: An Armless Painter IRL

Post by scott1and »

Holy shit, my perception of what Rin could paint has just been turned up to eleven. :mrgreen: That even reminds me of Rin's mural a bit, you know case of all the faces and sheer apparent randomness
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

scott1and wrote:Holy shit, my perception of what Rin could paint has just been turned up to eleven. :mrgreen:
The funny thing about that is that she can just paint as well as the artist who draws the CGIs for her path. :D That's the ultimate limit that she will never be able to surpass.
It's different from computers, where the creation (the computer) can actually calculate faster than its creator.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
ChaoticGrowth

Post by ChaoticGrowth »

scott1and wrote:That even reminds me of Rin's mural a bit, you know case of all the faces and sheer apparent randomness
That was my first thought as well.
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Panty Supervisor wrote:
scott1and wrote:Holy shit, my perception of what Rin could paint has just been turned up to eleven. :mrgreen:
The funny thing about that is that she can just paint as well as the artist who draws the CGIs for her path. :D That's the ultimate limit that she will never be able to surpass.
It's different from computers, where the creation (the computer) can actually calculate faster than its creator.
Unless it's one of those people who can do math faster than computers, but then again, maybe that person would make it even faster than other computers.
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Panty Supervisor wrote:
Meh. The "quality" of art is all dependent on what you like. Climatic, this guy ...both the same level of quality in my mind, just very different styles.
Is photorealism better? Was Van Gogh better than Andy Warhol? Was Monet better than Heironymous Bosch? Was Peter Max better than Picasso? People could (and have) debated those topics for DAYS, but it all comes down to opinion.
scott1and wrote:That even reminds me of Rin's mural a bit, you know case of all the faces and sheer apparent randomness
Agreed.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

scott1and wrote:Holy shit
What he said. It's damn near impossible to believe someone with arms could do that, much less someone without them.
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Dollywitch

Post by Dollywitch »

Rin's seems way more arty to me. This looks like a bunch of movie posters and album covers meshed together. There's something kind of freakish about it and not in a good way. But of course, very impressive!
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Shujoxa wrote:
scott1and wrote:Holy shit
What he said. It's damn near impossible to believe someone with arms could do that, much less someone without them.
I've seen enough album covers/airbrushed vans in my life to say that it's not really so impressive to me. When you talk about the genuine photorealism I've seen in paintings at the DIA and in my art appreciation courses, or the absolute mastery of color and style in Van Gogh's stuff, or the astonishing imagery of the impressionists or...

I mean, just look at "Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth for one example! That's such an astonishing piece (and actually due to the subjects muscular dystrophy, one that fits very well with the topic of the forum in general), and while it's not as photorealistic as say Ralph Goings's stuff, or anything by the other artists sampled at the following page: http://www.unstage.com/2010/05/10-photo ... -painters/ (or any of thousands of other pieces one could find), it's still far more astonishingly realistic and moving than this.

That's not to say that this isn't amazingly impressive for someone using only their legs as toes aren't as flexible as fingers and legs and arms move in different ways (keeping that in mind, this is absolutely astonishing), but to say that this level of realism is "damn near impossible to believe" if the painter had arms...
Dollywitch wrote:Rin's seems way more arty to me. This looks like a bunch of movie posters and album covers meshed together. There's something kind of freakish about it and not in a good way. But of course, very impressive!
What she said. I don't really enjoy Rin's either for purely aesthetic reasons, but I think it's a fantastic piece artistically, while this... meh.

Edit: Just to be clear, I mean I agree with Dollywitch that this piece is both not as artistic as Rin's and that this piece has a very creepy and off-putting feel to it for me as well. Rin's (actually by climatic, right?) may not do it for me, but that's purely aesthetics, not the feel of it.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

I just remembered what this reminds me of! It's sort of like a more modernized/futuristic take on the death and torment in the third pane of Heironymous Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" triptych in which the sinners are punished in a surrealistically horrifying vision of Hell. It's quite a horrifying image, which makes sense seeing as Bosch was trying to scare people into being more pious, ironically getting in trouble for the nature of the work himself...

But yeah, it's a fascinating (if distubing) piece. Here's the wikipedia article on it if you want to see if you agree with the connection I made: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden ... y_Delights