Awesome Idea... Know it's Not Likely Going to Happen, Though

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Totz the Plaid

Awesome Idea... Know it's Not Likely Going to Happen, Though

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Okay, I tried searching for this, but couldn't figure out how to phrase it that wouldn't pull up tons of unrelated stuff, so sorry if it's been discussed before, but I have an awesome idea that, unless the Dev team already had this idea a long time ago, it'd probably be far too complex to implement in KS:

Fully automated play.

Now, I know there's an auto-play mode in act 1, but what I'm talking about is something that would need to wait for 100% completion to unlock. I'd love to see a VN with a mode that allows you to pre-select your choices at all the branching points and read through it uninterrupted. (And as I said before, I know that there's at best probably only a 0.0001% chance of seeing it happen in KS especially this late in development, if it's even feasible to begin with.)

But yeah, who else wants to see this in a VN at some point?

[Edit: Fixed the typo in the thread name.]
Last edited by Totz the Plaid on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Shujoxa

Re: Awesome Idea... Know it's Not Likely Going to Haopen, Th

Post by Shujoxa »

So, basically watch it like a long-ass movie?

...yeah, I like it. But only if there's 4 bags of popcorn and at least 2 2-liter pepsis/cokes because the first act alone took me over 2 hrs.
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Totz the Plaid

Re: Awesome Idea... Know it's Not Likely Going to Haopen, Th

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Shujoxa wrote:So, basically watch it like a long-ass movie?
Well, kinda. I mean, we already know there isn't going to be any voice acting in KS, so we'd still have to read the whole thing (not that I mind), but yeah.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Re: Awesome Idea... Know it's Not Likely Going to Happen, Th

Post by Shades of gray »

or you could just... take that extra second at each choice to click the one you want... and not require the devs to do anymore programming?
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Shades of gray wrote:or you could just... take that extra second at each choice to click the one you want... and not require the devs to do anymore programming?
...or you could READ the original post where I said:
Totz the Plaid wrote:(And as I said before, I know that there's at best probably only a 0.0001% chance of seeing it happen in KS especially this late in development, if it's even feasible to begin with.)
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Thats a pretty good idea actually.

They should also make Arnold, the Govenador of CalifornhEAGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGH!!!
to read over the story and provide epic commentary while he's reading it.
this will also be available after 100% completion...
iunno seems like a good idea in my head.
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

I'm not one to replay things, so I would most likely uninstall the game when I get 100% completition. Besides, clicking once in a while doesn't seem that much of a deal.
Nyo ho ho~
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Heck, some of us don't even use the auto-play function at all.
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The first time I used the auto-play function was when I was checking for bugs and did other stuff on the side - and that only because a malfunctioning Skip-mode was the first bug I found. I like to read VNs at my own pace, so auto-play is a pretty useless feature for me.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

Something as long as this will never really be uninterrupted since you'll need to go to the toilet or eat every so often. I'd think this would be more worthwhile if there was a highlights option where it plays back key scenes for your chosen character, perhaps with your choices pre-selected as you suggest.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Sid Vicious

Post by Sid Vicious »

It takes two fucking seconds two make one of the choices and there only a few choices too so just get off your ass and click a button evey 20 minutes
I'll die before I'm 25, and when I do I'll have lived the way I wanted to-RIP Sid Vicious

Hanako > Rin > Lily > Emi > Shizune
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

You guys do realize I'm not talking about cutting out the choices, right?

What I'm saying is, I'd like a VN that has, as a prize for 100% completion, a mode that allows you to open a page with the first few choices listed like:

Will you introduce yourself?
- Yes.
- No.

What do you want to know?
- Ask about Shizune's deafness.
- Ask about the library.
- I think I'm good.

...etc.

And as you make those choices, the new ones that are unlocked list themselves out for you. Then, once you've taken a few minutes and gone through and selected all the choices you will make throughout a regular read-through, you can set the story to start and watch through it with your choices pre-selected.

I think THAT would be cool to have.
PlatonicRabbit

Post by PlatonicRabbit »

A person reads different sentences at different speeds. How does one set the auto-play speed accordingly? The concept would make sense if voice was added to KS. Auto-play accomplishes 80% of what you want. Taking a few seconds to select a choice isn't going to ruin your experience.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

PlatonicRabbit wrote:A person reads different sentences at different speeds. How does one set the auto-play speed accordingly? The concept would make sense if voice was added to KS. Auto-play accomplishes 80% of what you want. Taking a few seconds to select a choice isn't going to ruin your experience.
That's easy - make a slide-bar for it in the options page.

Taking into account this'll be something for -after- you've already completed the full VN, and just want to read through one girl's path from start to finish in one sitting (dude that's gonna take hours O.O), I wouldn't mind if the option for this were present. Note that I said "option".

Too much raging going on in here over something that'll be a freakin' choice, anyway -_-
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

PlatonicRabbit wrote:Taking a few seconds to select a choice isn't going to ruin your experience.
Actually, once I've experienced a story, it DOES make the experience less enjoyable to revisit. It's fine the first time or so until I get everything, but after that, it hurts my immersion.
Leotrak wrote:
PlatonicRabbit wrote:A person reads different sentences at different speeds. How does one set the auto-play speed accordingly?
That's easy - make a slide-bar for it in the options page.
Bingo. And isn't there one already anyway?
Leotrak wrote:Taking into account this'll be something for -after- you've already completed the full VN, and just want to read through one girl's path from start to finish in one sitting (dude that's gonna take hours O.O), I wouldn't mind if the option for this were present. Note that I said "option".
Again, exactly. This is an option (or a different mode as I put it) that would only be unlocked after 100% completion.
Also, in my mind you'd be able to save your progress and pick it back up again, just like in the regular mode.
Leotrak wrote:Too much raging going on in here over something that'll be a freakin' choice, anyway -_-
Yeahhh... Probably the last time I muse over ideas that I think would help the evolution of VNs as a medium on this forum...