What if the Katawa Shoujo was...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ozymil

Re: What if the Katawa Shoujo was...

Post by Ozymil »

Certain mental illnesses could provide fitting opportunities for a dramatic heroine/route. It'd be interesting to see someone with severe split personality disorder, prosopagnosia, or anterograde amnesia (like 50 First dates or Naruko Hanaharu's doujin "Say Hello to Me Tomorrow").
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

I would find it credible if Rin or Hanako had prosopoagnosia. It would be rather tragic if Hanako had it, since according to Oliver Sacks, people who have it can recognize bits of a face, or the most notable feature. I would also believe it is Hisao was depressed or getting there.

Shizune with her competitive perfectionist nature would hate having an LD.
toue

Post by toue »

I actually thought the school was for both physical and mental disabilities when I was playing act 1. I was expecting the reason Hanako was gone without anyone mentioning it was because she was going to her psychiatrist because she had pretty severe problems.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

toue wrote:I actually thought the school was for both physical and mental disabilities when I was playing act 1. I was expecting the reason Hanako was gone without anyone mentioning it was because she was going to her psychiatrist because she had pretty severe problems.
She probably just runs off to the library or the tea room because she wants alone time. Everyone else knows this and they let her be. But as you said, the reason for this is her severe psychological problems.

As for whether or not the mentally disabled are in the school:
Aura wrote:To explain how Yamaku works, every student is admitted on a case-by-case basis and the guidelines are somewhat vague. There are completely healthy students, physically disabled students and mildly mentally disabled students in the school. Many students do have psychological problems of one kind or another (it's not easy to be a teenaged cripple, or find out you are one), but the board generally does not admit anyone who is really mental. This is because the students need to be able to attend class, and interact with teachers (who are not medical professionals) and other students (deafness/muteness doesn't count here). Anyway, the school is primarily geared for kids with physical disabilities that still permit a semblance of normal life (there are no quadriplegic students, for example), and that's what a clear majority of the students are.
So sort of. But mostly those with physical disabilities.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
toue

Post by toue »

Yeah I figured, kinda depressing to think that she isn't getting help as often as I expected though.
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

I think Lilly would have like OCD or something like that, how everything has to be routine. The same goes for Shizune i guess.
Wouldn't Hanako also have like a depression problem? and a bad case of looking-so-damned-amazing~
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
GoodleShoes

Post by GoodleShoes »

I would love a game like that. I've always loved books that deal with adolescent life in psyche wards. It would be nice to turn one into a VN with stuff like Anorexia, Schizophrenia, suicidal tendencies. It would be amazing to me to play.
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

GoodleShoes wrote:I would love a game like that. I've always loved books that deal with adolescent life in psyche wards. It would be nice to turn one into a VN with stuff like Anorexia, Schizophrenia, suicidal tendencies. It would be amazing to me to play.
Go young grasshopper, Make your dreams reality
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

As a reaction to some of the posts here...I don't see what's so disrespectful about the suggestion of a school attended by people with with an autism spectrum disorder. (be it Aspergers, high-functioning autism, ADD or ADHD) I once gave a mini-course (like 16 lessons of 2 hours) game design to a small group of students on such a school. The spectrum of conditions wasn't quite as wide as the OP here mentions...I don't think there were any anorexic students there...mostly students with aspergers, ADD, ADHD, social phobia or a combination. All students had normal intelligence (no mental retardation), though some of the classes were centered around the idea of customized curriculae...because the students there had such a narrow range of interests, they could only manage to handle like 2 or 3 of the subjects that'd be taught at a normal school.
A. Nobody is going to send his child to a special school because of ADD or ADHD
Not my experience.
I'm slightly offended, by the way, that you listed autistic disorders among your possibilities -_- There's way more autistic folks that can manage to be a "normal" part of society than autistic folks that can't, without the need of a school tailored to them.
And nevertheless, the school I spoke of had autistic students up the wazoo...in fact, the main part of the student body had a pervasive development disorder of some kind.

To clarify; not every kid with a pervasive development disorder NEEDS to attend a special school, but that doesn't mean that such a school cannot fulfill a valuable function for those who'd benefit attending there. I find it interesting that nobody is offended by the principle behind Yamaku, yet take offense when the idea of a mental version of it is brought up. (despite the fact someone like Emi could manage to be a lot more "normal" than the average person with an autistic diagnosis, yet people accept the fact she attends a special school) If a kid is sent to a special needs school, that's usually not done because of merely they've been diagnosed with condition X or Y, but rather because of the observed impact the condition has on their everyday functioning. If that impact is relatively minor, no parent is gonna send their kids to a special needs school. If the impact is larger, such a school (if it exists in the region...I live in a very autism-heavy region myself) becomes an option and disrespect or pidgeonholing has nothing to do with that.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Guest Poster wrote:people with with an autism spectrum disorder. (be it Aspergers, high-functioning autism, ADD or ADHD)
When did ADD/ADHD get put on the autism spectrum?
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

SirMax wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:people with with an autism spectrum disorder. (be it Aspergers, high-functioning autism, ADD or ADHD)
When did ADD/ADHD get put on the autism spectrum?
It's not part of the autism spectrum, I think he/she/it just got that part wrong.
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Sorry. I worded that poorly. They're not on the spectrum, but often co-morbid with (appear in combination with) autism spectrum disorders.
ExN

Post by ExN »

Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Why did you post an image of Yume Miru Kusuri?
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
ExN

Post by ExN »

So I guess depression and drug addiction aren't mental issues then. >_>