Some thoughts from a latecommer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ninjaguiden

Some thoughts from a latecommer

Post by ninjaguiden »

Having finally played the game through once after seeing so much of it on various sites I found it very enjoyable and far better than I had expected.

But my absolute favourite part has to be the subtle genius of the games mechanics. Let me explain what I mean:

In my first play through I had zero VN experience but I thought that if I just went after the girl I liked (Lilly) and ignored everyone else, things would work out. However, KS is much more realistic about it's portrayal of relationships, so going around being antisocial gets you no where and of course being nice to people doesn't automatically mean you're "locked on to them" as it were.

After seeing the path in flowchart form, it struck me how every time you get a choice between two of the girls, it's really obvious and being nice in general doesn't really trigger any flag at all. Had I thought less like a metagamer and more like a human, I should have known that by being nice to Hanako, I could spend more time with Lilly and so on. Another example would be when for going for Rins path: if you don't pick choices that are obvious for other girls but stay "nice" you should get the question that obviously leads to her.

So, thanks for the taste of the great game and kudos on making a game that punishes the metagamer (and thank you for reading this ramble)!
Esa94

Re: Some thoughts from a latecommer

Post by Esa94 »

The basic version of this 'punishment' is that you go on Hanako's route and then end up with the Emi ending and you just can't figure out why.

Of course, at that point one usually joins the forums to ask.
ninjaguiden

Post by ninjaguiden »

Esa94 wrote:The basic version of this 'punishment' is that you go on Hanako's route and then end up with the Emi ending and you just can't figure out why.

Of course, at that point one usually joins the forums to ask.
You can get Hanako as long as you don't pick too many obvious Emi choices, right?
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

I also just started playing this game and just finished it today actually :P
I agree with your part on the game realism and all, but what really got me was how dynamic the characters were
after a point in playing the game you actually start caring for the characters and "feel" them as if they were real.

Then they decide to cliff hang the game which pissed me off but then that makes me wanna come back and play the full xD
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
ninjaguiden

Post by ninjaguiden »

We all wait now, but it will soon be over!
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

I sure as hell hope so.
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi