System requirements?

Shockproof Jamo

System requirements?

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Now that it seems that the development of KS is nearing end, more or less, do you devs feel comfortable enough to talk about the game's system requirements? Some questions off the top of my hat:

- What is the estimated install size?

- Has your version of Ren'py retained functionality with Windows 98/ME throughout the development process? I know that the Act 1 demo still worked in my ME-machine when I tested.

- To get some sort of idea, what type of hardware are you devs running to test your in-house betas?

In general, can we expect the full version to be more demanding than what the demo was? Sans the bigger install size of course.
delta
Feels Badman

Re: System requirements?

Post by delta »

- I'm trying to keep it under 1 CD (700MB) in size
- Any non-NT flavor of Windows was never supported, if it runs on a DOS-based system that is strictly accidental
- Whatever the devs run at the time, I'm using a MacBook Pro 4,1 with OS X 10.6.6 right now but I guess there's a wide variety of hardware around. I don't think anyone runs Linux though so Linux is not officially supported either.
Red_Machine

Post by Red_Machine »

I tried to run it on my iMac G3 (10.4.11) and it went through the motions of loading (splash screen, then window) but then crashed with a "The application Katawa Shoujo Act 1 quit unexpectedly" error.

Are Tiger and G3 processors not supported?
Hanako>Misha>Emi>Lilly>Shizune>Rin
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

10.4 should be supported, seems like G3s are not then.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I run ultra-boring Windows XP Home with two gigs of memory and Eastern languages support. The only non-boring thing in that happened when Ren'Py accidentally took exception to the characters in certain Latin-language-based OSs, barring me from hands-on development for a while.

On the bright side, that (and the Babel of languages the dev team speaks) resulted in a fix which will hopefully allow KS to run smoothly most everywhere in the world. :wink:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

It might be more useful to state that KS is using Ren'Py 6.10.2
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/releases/6.10.2

I can run KS fine under Mac OS/X 10.4.11 on a dual core intel mac.

Red_Machine, looking around it appears the problem might be this:
The mac Ren'Py was built with a libsdl that used -faltivec
This switch has the compiler emit code to save altivec registers for setjmp()/longjmp(), but a G3 will crash as soon as the setjmp() is reached.
See http://www.renpy.org/dl/lgpl/README.txt
On Mac OS X...If you're interested on running on a G3, you'll need to disable
altivec support. Do this by running the command:
export NOALTIVEC=true

What you need is a 6.10.2 mac launcher compiled without -faltivec. There's a mac launcher link at the bottom of their http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/releases/6.10.2 page; unfortunately, Ren'Py doesn't say if their launcher was built without -faltivec...

Addendum:
It looks like SDL_image is specifically what needs to be built without -faltivec; there's a libSDL_image-1.2.0.dylib in the Frameworks folder of the contents of the KS app.
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Thanks, delta. I have my old Win Me machine still lying around. I might test KS with that and report back the results when the full game is out, whenever that is. Also, I'm loving how you're trying to keep the size down, as my Internet connection isn't the fastest thing around. Cheers to you.
Kantaro

Post by Kantaro »

delta wrote:- I'm trying to keep it under 1 CD (700MB) in size
Sorry for asking this on this thread, but is there a particular reason for this constraint ?
For example, do you (the team) plan to sell CD version of the game, alongside the free download (I guess it's not a so dumb question, since I guess a lot of KS fans would be happy to buy the game on a pretty physical support) ?
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Smaller file makes for a faster download. It's probably as simple as that, really... Or something similar along those lines.
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It has been stated multiple times that there will be no version of KS for sale.
So the size limitation is probably only for convenience - or a challenge delta set up for himself ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Remember the French translation team made CDs and cases for Act1 to distribute on a convention? Such a measure would be best if they or any other team play to do something similar once the full game is out.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I didn't know about that. If the devs are okay with that, it might be something to consider for the german version as well...
But that's far in the future right now...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

We try to keep it under a CD size so you can fit it on a CD if you want to. There is no deeper meaning. This is not rocket science, derp.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

If we put it out on a physical media, the 700 MB limitation would not even make sense because it would have all 3 versions of the game on it, it would definitely need a DVD anyway, so the max filesize would be more like 1.5 GB.