Synesthesia and KS music

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Minister of Gloom

Synesthesia and KS music

Post by Minister of Gloom »

There is, as I am sure we all know, a medical condition thus called, but even if you aren't one of those people who can literally taste the rainbow, all humans have a measure of association which isn't necessarily based on logic of certain feelings with others. Some sights bring a taste to your mouth, some sounds make you imagine a feeling at the ends of your fingertips.
For many people, or so at least I have heard, music is a powerful sort of such a feeling which has associations all across their five senses. Especially fine music.
I don't think we can argue that most of the KS soundtrack is of excellent quality.
I am asking you this, then: while listening to certain parts of the soundtrack, what do you feel? Emotionally, perhaps, but "physically", too.
The five main "character themes", for example. What do you see, with your eyes closed, when you listen to "Concord"? What do you smell with "The Student Council"?

A strange topic, I know. I was just playing through the game again when the thought occurred to me.

Feel free to post or not to post, I guess.

Have a good night, anyway.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Re: Synesthesia and KS music

Post by Shades of gray »

oddly enough, whenever I listen to Parity or Passing of Time, it relaxs me, Concorde makes my fingers feel hot.

thats about it really...

Interestingly, sound has been known to trigger parts of the brain that operate the senses, so in that regard, this makes a lot of sense.
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Parity makes me feel like I'm on a Sea-Doo for some reason.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

this is the strangest conversation i have ever seen in my entire life
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

Afternoon makes me feel so calm but in a strange way that my heart nearly hurts like Hisao's. I see painful, sweet clouds travelling over me while I'm watching the sky sitted on the grass, thinking.
I'm not going to have a myocardial dudes. :)
Mogami-kun

Post by Mogami-kun »

The following post might not make any sense, so please excuse me if that seems to be the case.

"Romance in Andante, piano version" makes me feel kinda weird. It's hard to describe but it feels like I have been thrown back in time and not just a little. It's like a really old memory resurfacing (and by old I don't just mean that 10-20 years old, but it feels like it had been a hundred or even more years if it was possible). It's not a particular moment, more like the imprint of the atmosphere of a memory.
"100%"
My final ranking: Hanako >>> Lilly > (Misha >) Shizune > Rin > Emi.
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

I'd have to say I like Parity the best out of the five character themes.
I have synesthesia, myself. Most music to me has a special 'texture' to it, as well as a color I associate it to.

Parity has my favorite texture of the bunch -- round, but with a bunch of little bumps all around it. It's a pleasant texture, something relaxing to listen to. Salmon-colored, too.

Concord feels wet. It's interesting -- most piano pieces to me are. It's like I'm at the beach on a warm day, the waves lapping at my feet... A pale blue.

Painful History has a bit of that wet texture, but not a whole lot. It's kinda damp, in a sense. Dark, unable to tell what color; could be a dark red.

Standing Tall has a rubbery feel to it; kinda bouncy, too. This isn't too simple, musically. Bright yellow.

The Student Council feels like wood that's been sanded down, but no stain or sealant has been applied. Dusty, too, but in a good way. Grayish, very neutral.
Cylog

Post by Cylog »

I wish I had Synesthesia... It must be pretty awesome to expierience the world from many angles.The wierd thing is I remembered, a long time ago, when I was a child I looked at a wall and said that this wall smells blue...
When I hear "Concord" I have to think of tea and... well, Lilly ^^ When "Happiness" is playing I imagine a classroom, everybody is preparing their stuff for the day, cheering, laughing...
"School Days" reminds me - ironically - of a empty classroom, the setting sun brings a warm shine into the room.
I find this thread really interesting, I hope more people are gonna post.
:recursion
In order to understand Recursion, one must understand recursion.
goto recursion
===============
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

Just about everyone has some level of synesthesia in them. Look up "kiki" and "booba," it explains it a little bit. In my experience, it's a lot like breathing, I don't notice much unless I'm actively paying attention.

"Concord" has me seeing counter clockwise swirly fog at the top, parallel strings and at the bottom, something that looks a lot like piano keys from the from when they are depressed.

"Painful history" has the moving keys in the middle of the screen.

"Parity" has round bursts that move from the inside outward, along with juggling keys, and that violin strings look like when they're being played.

"Standing Tall" has tiny key movement toward the bottom left, with a background fog hum, and the moving violin strings.

"The Student Council" has very faint fog up top, moderate key movement, pinpoint dots popping in and out, and a blend between violin strings and a medium strong background hum. All of this is at the top of the screen.
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

Saraquill wrote:Just about everyone has some level of synesthesia in them. Look up "kiki" and "booba," it explains it a little bit. In my experience, it's a lot like breathing, I don't notice much unless I'm actively paying attention.
For people with synesthesia, though, the texture of the music is actually felt, rather than visualized in one's head. Like, for the example in Concord that I gave, my fingers will, occasionally, feel a bit wet when listening. It sounds bizarre, but it is a fantastic experience.

Just don't expose me to rap. Bleauuuuuuurgh.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

Hamadyne wrote:
Saraquill wrote:Just about everyone has some level of synesthesia in them. Look up "kiki" and "booba," it explains it a little bit. In my experience, it's a lot like breathing, I don't notice much unless I'm actively paying attention.
For people with synesthesia, though, the texture of the music is actually felt, rather than visualized in one's head. Like, for the example in Concord that I gave, my fingers will, occasionally, feel a bit wet when listening. It sounds bizarre, but it is a fantastic experience.

Have you ever tried listening to the Crazy Bus theme?
Nyo ho ho~
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

Napalm wrote:
Hamadyne wrote:

Have you ever tried listening to the Crazy Bus theme?
Just tried that.

Everything about that song is just, just wrong. Texture's very cold, but then gets super hot at certain intervals. It's like a piece of metal being superheated and supercooled simultaneously. AGHHH.
This is one unsettling song.
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

I hate to make myself the odd man out, but I really don't like the soundtrack. It's not like I hate it, I just don't find it as enthralling as the rest of this userbase seems to, I guess I just don't have the emotional connection. I usually mute the music and replace it with something like Tom Waits or Zs. That kind of music is something I'm familiar with, and gives me a good feeling, something like a euphoria. I can close my eyes and feel the effort that the musicians put into the music. It sometimes makes me feel cold, but in a good way. It's entrancing. From there, my mind takes the good feeling and associates KS with it since I'm experiencing both at the same time. That's something I just can't do with the default soundtrack for this game.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
Cylog

Post by Cylog »

I guess you could listen to your own music, but wouldn't that kinda ruin the atmosphere? I really like the KS music, it creates the necessary ambience.
Hmm, this might be offtopic, but I wonder how 8bit music feels (in synesthesia sense)?
:recursion
In order to understand Recursion, one must understand recursion.
goto recursion
===============
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."
Arcassa

Post by Arcassa »

Mogami-kun wrote:The following post might not make any sense, so please excuse me if that seems to be the case.

"Romance in Andante, piano version" makes me feel kinda weird. It's hard to describe but it feels like I have been thrown back in time and not just a little. It's like a really old memory resurfacing (and by old I don't just mean that 10-20 years old, but it feels like it had been a hundred or even more years if it was possible). It's not a particular moment, more like the imprint of the atmosphere of a memory.
...are you a wizard?

I get a nostalgic feeling out of the blue when certain songs come up, usually classical and such, where I feel like I've heard it before a very long time ago, and Romance in Adante was one of them.

I, for one, blame the feminist conspiracy