Rin
44%
Shizune
11%

Total votes: 5433

Wraith_Magus

Re: Favorite girl.

Post by Wraith_Magus »

Hmmm... I'm actually considering starting a thread just as a "review" of the first act, as this whole thing only came to my attention a couple weeks ago (looking for translated Touhou mangas on Danbooru), just to give a general point-by-point reaction, but I think I'll restrict myself down to this thread for now...

I guess, if I'm talking about which girl/path I liked the most, I should start with myself, and my own tastes, since that obviously colors the reactions more than any other factor. My favorite female characters ever are Patchouli Knowledge of Touhou, and her psuedo-estranged-twin sister, Yue Ayase from Negima (the manga, not the animes). Basically, the traits I find most attractive are intelligent, strong-willed, introspective deep thinkers, especially when they have a clear devotion to their friends.

I also think I might be a bit odd in this, because I try to look at them through the lens of the people I know from real life, and not just "moe anime".

---

While it might be somewhat odd, it follows from there that the only two girls I think I would be romantically interested in would be Shizune and Hanako, for completely different reasons.

Shizune may be lacking in introspection, but she has what I would call a refreshingly honest streak of manipulation and aggression, which I assume I find comfortable only because basically all the women in my life, including my family, are like that, so it doesn't even bother me anymore. Plus, there's a sort of tomboyish appeal to the sort of girl who not only openly declares she will kick your butt in some sort of game, and takes crazy risks doing so, but just the ability to know that you don't really have to pull punches, and reading through her lines, I found myself wanting to give responses that I know would probably send me down the "bad paths" of a VN if I were actually able to give them.

(Oh, and the fact that I find the short hair/glasses combo extremely hot certainly helps...)

One of the downsides of her path, though, (which I assume will get play later in the story,) is that basically everyone else in the story besides Misha hates her. While it's not too bad when Lilly and Shizune fight, since Lilly can basically handle herself, although I do see it clearly as being Shizune being unfairly aggressive in that exchange, and the same can go for Rin and Emi, as well, but the problem comes when she stares down Hanako just for being Lilly's friend (the scene after the decision in the "Cold War" segment). Strong will is admirable, but just as strength and athleticism isn't admirable when you use it to punch a random person in the face, someone who uses their strong will to essentially bully a helpless girl is flat-out unattractive, and would make me want to interrupt and side against Shizune at that point.

Maybe this belongs more in the "What WOULD you like to happen..." thread, but playing her path, the thing I would most like to see is a chance to make some wager with Shizune where if you win, you get her to basically play nice or make up with some of these characters, especially Hanako, although I know having those two get along would be an extreme longshot. (I know that in these sorts of games, you're supposed to focus only on one girl, and that it's somehow grounds for getting the game to accuse you of "trying for a harem" if you try to be nice to more than one girl, but especially in games where the girls can be seriously hurt or even die if you don't take their paths, it's very jarring to have the game assume that the only reason you would want to save someone's life is because you hope to get sex in return, even IF it is this type of game...)

Still, for all that, I just generally liked the "everyday life" that Hisao had with Shizune and Misha, playing games and doing student council junk. I did, however, feel jarred by how Hisao kept complaining about being roped into having a free lunch with two girls when he expressly wanted to spend time with them in the first place, and continuing to argue only to back down then mope about it again later. (Don't you know that backing down from an argument is only interpreted as weakness in the eyes of girls like Shizune?! If you aren't ready to fight about it, don't complain! If you are ready to fight about it, don't stop until you at least get some kind of compromise to at least save face, this isn't war, it's a relationship, and you have to never give up ground without a fight, or you're inviting the enemy woman to take more!)

---

Hanako, meanwhile, is in many ways the total opposite. Ironically, while most of the women I know have Shizune-like personalities, most of the girls I actually dated had Hanako-like personalities (where getting information out of them was like trying to solve a puzzle game where the slightest over-application of pressure would shatter the whole thing), and so did a few of my friends-who-are-female. In a way, it's fairly comforting as a change, because the tension of having to respond to the competitiveness and manipulation of the Shizune-like women can be tiring, and I generally like quiet alone time afterwards, and I can generally enjoy myself with the people I know with Hanako-like personalities just reading books in the same room for a few hours straight.

The greatest positive I can say to Hanako is that I enjoy the utter lack of social pressure she applies, and it really helps me to relax, and feel like I don't have to keep up the constant tug-of-war sort of relationship I have with the Shizune-like personalities. I think Hanako's is actually the sort of personality I fit in with more by nature, but nurture has developed me to fit in with Shizune's as a matter of survival, but even then, I can't keep up with it for long. Someone I can just sit and read books with, and occasionally try to talk about the deeper themes of a book, and how they relate to an underlying understanding of the world around me is probably the best sort of socializing for which I would hope.

Of course, there's also that sort of voice from the primitive masculine side of the mind that says "Oh, yeah, I'm the big hero who rescues the helpless damsel," theme to helping out the quiet girl who worries about being bullied all the time, but the problem is that there's the other side of that coin...

The negative side of it is that I always have the nagging doubt in the back of my mind that maybe I'm assuming something I shouldn't, or that I'm being too forceful around people like this. It's sort of like being in Lilliputia, you never really know if you accidentally just stepped on a Lilliputian's house, so you have to worry about being very careful in dealing with them, and if you just accidentally offended them, because there's no way you're going to know until things get so bad they just up and run away from you, and they certainly aren't going to tell you, so you try to dance around like a giant trying to avoid stepping on all the fragile little houses underfoot. At least the Shizune-like people will tell you to your face when and why they're mad... It may just be a side-effect of all the Shizune-like people I know, but I just feel guilty for getting my way without a fight, because they'll just go along with the first thing I say to avoid having to argue, and the last thing I want to do is accidentally become someone who bullies the weaker-willed.

(A conversation I remember with a friend-who-is-female... I said, "I'm getting hungry, would you like to go out to eat?" "Umm... I could eat if you're going to eat." "OK, well, what do you feel like having?" "Oh... I don't know... You're the man, you be decisive." "... I have no idea how to even begin responding to that... (My mother is/was a feminist, and I would be lucky just to be slapped for even hinting men should automatically be in charge in male/female relationships) OK, how about this, would you disagree to Burger King?" "Do you want to go there?" "OK, we're going to Burger King.")

---

Continuing in descending order of the girls I would be most interested in, I come to Rin.

Having actually taken plenty of art classes, even being in the art magnet, I have to say that I've never met anyone as much a cloudcuckoolander as Rin. Still, I understand people being weird for the sake of being weird, and there's something comforting in that.

It's just also not terribly romantically attractive. I would probably try to be her friend, but I wouldn't be romantically interested in her.

---

Lilly is much the same. I'd be her friend, but wouldn't be romantically interested.

Yes, she's pretty and kind, but at the same time, the whole reserved nature of her is offsetting for someone who is used to blunt honesty, and it makes her difficult for me to relate to very well, and feel somewhat uncomfortable, since the "I don't know if I just stepped on her house without realizing it" thing applies here, as well.

---

Emi takes last place because, well, energetic optimistic people just wear me out. I prefer relaxing with reading and the ability to have serious, introspective conversation, although I do enjoy direct competition like in games, provided it's somewhat limited, but people like Emi are just too much energy for me to try to keep up with.

---

Ugh, I hope this place doesn't have limits on being too tl;dr...
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Wraith_Magus wrote:I did, however, feel jarred by how Hisao kept complaining about being roped into having a free lunch with two girls when he expressly wanted to spend time with them in the first place, and continuing to argue only to back down then mope about it again later.
I had similar feelings when Hisao was asked to join the student council. Every time.

Shizune: ...

Misha: WAHAHA~! JOIN THE STUDENT COUNCIL HICCHAN!!!

Me: Actually, yeah. I'm going for Shizune, so I thi-

Hisao: No. I'll think about it, but I won't commit.

Me: What the hell, man?!
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Wraith_Magus wrote:I did, however, feel jarred by how Hisao kept complaining about being roped into having a free lunch with two girls when he expressly wanted to spend time with them in the first place, and continuing to argue only to back down then mope about it again later.
I had similar feelings when Hisao was asked to join the student council. Every time.

Shizune: ...

Misha: WAHAHA~! JOIN THE STUDENT COUNCIL HICCHAN!!!

Me: Actually, yeah. I'm going for Shizune, so I thi-

Hisao: No. I'll think about it, but I won't commit.

Me: What the hell, man?!
I thought it was quite obvious. As a character, Hisao is a blank slate. Your actions colour his personality beyond snark and smartass.

In other words, going down the Shizune path is turning Hisao into a fairly good Tsundere archetype. Therein's the tweest. Your girlfriend isn't the Tsundere. You are.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
GMKGoat

Post by GMKGoat »

ContinualNaba wrote:In other words, going down the Shizune path is turning Hisao into a fairly good Tsundere archetype. Therein's the tweest. Your girlfriend isn't the Tsundere. You are.
Mind = Blown.
Wraith_Magus

Post by Wraith_Magus »

It's not so much the "I'll think about it" part, which is fairly understandable from just a "designing the flow of the game if you decide against it later" perspective as it was the way that Hisao kept complaining about how Shizune "tricked him" into skipping class (when he didn't want to go) to eat lunch (which is better than the lunch he would get for himself, on her dime), with Shizune and Misha (which he already said he likes, and wants to spend more time with). It pretty much comes off as "Darn it! How DARE SHE give me exactly what I want!" He basically gets angry just because she's being playfully manipulative when doing it, even though everything is a net positive for Hisao, which just makes him come off as an overly emotional nitwit for complaining about getting into a game he knowingly and willingly played, and de facto won.

If it actually did seem more like Hisao was the tsundere in the relationship, it would make the whole thing a bit more interesting, but what I would really want, if this VN actually gives you a way to have the character reflect your own personality (something that I am afraid is probably a little beyond what we're really going to get), then I'd rather try to beat Shizune at her own game, and play it as an emotionally detached victory-at-all-costs analytical player, or else, if you aren't going to play to win, just go ahead and let Shizune have her fun. Getting angry about the game when heads you win, and tails she loses just makes the character a sore winner that is difficult to like.
gromulke

Post by gromulke »

Wraith_Magus wrote:"Darn it! How DARE SHE give me exactly what I want!"
Isn't that a tsundere attitude? Sounds like a proof of the above theory to me :P

The fact that Hisao will change during each path is quite obvious. There are different writers, so even if they all discuss about Hisao's personality, they all will have a slightly different view of him, which will change even more during each path, because of each girl's influence. (Let's be honest, who wouldn't change his perception of the world facing Rin?)

By the way, my order of girls:

Shizune first, since i like her design and her personality. Strong-willed, manipulative, i went for her ending at my very first try.
Then comes Hanako. Shy and lacking self-confidence, i have to admit that my "Knight in shining armor" side woke up with her. Plus, i'm intrigued by the story behind her scars.
Next is Rin. Her "head in clouds" attitude is funny, but it might become boring with time. The final release will tell.
After that comes Emi: while I wasn't a huge fan of her path in act 1, i still would like to know what would happen after the festival. Again, the full game may be more interesting.
And last comes Lily. Beautiful, western-styled, well-mannered, kind... I'm still waiting for her downsides ^^ Plus, she doesn't look like she has any challenge to overcome, so i have problems imagining what would happen in her full route.

Does'nt mean I didn't enjoy her path in Act 1, since I enjoyed every single one.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

The Line-up for me (favorite to least) :

Hanako - Because the cuddling, white knight SOB inside me cant help but DAWWW at the sight of the scared rabbit of a Japanese female.

Rin - Reminds me of myself at times. Crazy, a loose cannon, just my type. Besides, her ending in act 1 was the only one i found kinda/sorta romantic. Don't try to denie that you Dawwwed when she fell asleep on hisao arm.

Misha - Yes, she counts in my little neuroses ridden world. She's Fun and likes to HAVE fun. She's infectious like an enjoyable case of herpes.

Lilly - Eh. I mean, yeah, id hit that gentle, blind lady of a women, But she's plainer then whole wheat, and just as white.

Shizune - Too Bitchy for my liking. Id like to stay top in a relationship in more ways then one.

Emi - I'm a man of many things. Loli is not one of them. Leave her for the roving hordes of pedo-bears.
Also known as the artist formerly known as Commissioner Castration.
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

But pedo-bears only target people of young age, not lolis.
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Darlat wrote:But pedo-bears only target people of young age, not lolis.
Ah! Touche...
Esquire

Post by Esquire »

Favourite (Yes, there's supposed to be a "u" in the word dammit! Spell it right ;) ) to least line-up?

Hanako=Misha>Rin>Shizune=Lilly>Emi

Hanako has all the "D'aww" factor everyone else has mentioned. You can't help but want to protect her.

Misha is energetic and fun loving. Always bouncing and bubbly, which I like. She's also got the crazy hairstyle/colour, which doesn't hurt her in my eyes.

Rin just always keeps you wondering. She's always got something to say that changes your outlook on life and the way you think. Plus she's hilarious.

Shizune is a huge bitch. Not exactly my kind of woman. At times. Other times, when I can put up with it, I like it. Helps keep the both of you in check. She just needs to know when to back off.

I like Lilly too, but call me shallow here. I just don't like her style or her mannerisms at times. Otherwise, she's great.

Emi is just too kid-ish at times for me. At least in comparison to the other characters. Puppy dog eyes don't work on me after repeating the same mistake over and over again >_> Also, her ending in Act 1 leaves quite a bit to be desired. I might just be bitter because her ending was the first one I got too...

Honestly, I like all the characters a helluva lot. They've had a ton of thought and work put into them and it really shows just through Act 1 alone. I can't wait to see how the final result turns out, and keep up the great work devs! </suckup>
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

I just love seeing all the people listing Misha in their lists now of days...perhaps Akira will get a prestigious spot when the full version is released and we get to see more involving her.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

I like Akira much. I had only a single scene with her so I don't feel like I can add her to my list, but she could be one of my most favourites. Except for the Phoenix Wright crossover, I suck with that game. Instead Yuuko is the forgotten one.
Anyway, that's mine:
  • Shizune - I usually hate all tsunderes but she is exactly what I like, seriously. Maybe I'm losing my temper;
    Lilly
    Rin - I like the idea of passing afternoons just sitted in a place watching her painting and reflecting on her thoughts. It's so damn relaxing;
    Misha
    Hanako/Emi - These two haven't interested me much. I don't have the patience to run after a shy girl, or the breath to run after an athlete. I simply won't run.
And that's all.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Yuurei wrote:I like Akira much. I had only a single scene with her so I don't feel like I can add her to my list, but she could be one of my most favourites.
Agreed.
Akira is a halfway interesting character.
If theres one thing Ive seen with kawata shoujo, is that theres a lot of side-characters for the fandom to chew with. Just look at the shimmie!
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Gonzo wrote:[
Akira

I'm really, really attracted to such... manly women :D With women shape, but acting a bit like a guy, in a suit, or trousers (see: Fujiwara no Mokou). Just... <shivers>

I imagined Lilly would look really nice in jeans.
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Smoku wrote:I'm really, really attracted to such... manly women :D With women shape, but acting a bit like a guy, in a suit, or trousers (see: Fujiwara no Mokou). Just... <shivers>
I imagined Lilly would look really nice in jeans.
Now how does that work for Rin in your case?
Just wondering, if that would involve the opposite way around such as a crossdressing Kenji while Hisao is having one of his trips from that new medication he'll be on.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)