If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Bardock9000

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Bardock9000 »

I got a minor case of PD (Parkinson disease) where my hands shake, and colorblind (cant see red, but can see green somehow)
"This is me. All of me..."
Sinistre

Post by Sinistre »

I have something called "Photophobia". Don't let the name fool you, however: It's not a mental disorder. My eyes are hyper-sensitive to light. You know that stinging/burning pain you get when you're woken up by someone pulling the blinds open quickly, thereby letting the morning sun's harsh rays strike your freshly opened eyes? It's like that, but all the time. I wear a pair of tinted prescription glasses (Can't see from up close) with another pair of clip-on shades on top of that when I go outside. So, while I *AM* technically blind, I can still see just fine (although colours do look very different through my shades). My eyesight is too inconsistent to drive, however, so I get around by BMW. Bus, Metro, Walk.

I'm also intolerant to gluten (feverish migraines when contaminated), have a slightly damaged right ear (During a scuffle when I was a kid. I have trouble telling which direction something is on that side) and have hypothyroidism. In fact, it used to be so severe that I had to drop out of school for a few years (levothyroxine dosage at the time was >200mcg and fluctuating constantly). I was sleeping roughly 20 hours a day. My current dosage is 162mcg and I can go for roughly 12 hours/day.
D0cR0ck

Post by D0cR0ck »

I have a form of arrhythmia, no lie.
Its nowhere as sever as Hisaos, but I do need to watch I don't stress/workout to hard or my heart may asplode.

I also have Diabetes, type 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_1

as well as a disease known as Neurofibromatosis 1, a genetic/nervous system disease. Basically I'm at high risk for tumors, and other bad stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibro ... sis_type_1
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, otherwise known over here in dear old blighty as ME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome

TL; DR version of the wiki page: How you feel after a day of 9-5 work? Thats how I feel when I wake up.
Shizu-chan

Post by Shizu-chan »

I am Bi-specular.
"..."
I fix my glasses, before lifting my hands and swiftly moving them in the air, nodding my finger to my chest and swinging my other fist to the side, waving them slightly in the air, before continuing to poke my lips, pulling off and waving in a circle around the same palm, then cross my arms , fluttering my finger to my forehead in sigh as you attempt too reply.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Shizu-chan wrote:I am Bi-specular.
I misread that as "Bi-spectacular" at first. Doesn't help that your name & avatar are modeled after Shizune, either...
Shizu-chan

Post by Shizu-chan »

-giggles- That amused my day thank you.

And yes sorry..I made the account a while ago so, thought i might as well stick to the name ^^;;
"..."
I fix my glasses, before lifting my hands and swiftly moving them in the air, nodding my finger to my chest and swinging my other fist to the side, waving them slightly in the air, before continuing to poke my lips, pulling off and waving in a circle around the same palm, then cross my arms , fluttering my finger to my forehead in sigh as you attempt too reply.
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

Mine would be severe allergies. As in: serious risk of anaphylactic shock and other potentially fatal allergic reactions.

As a child, I used to be severely allergic to nuts, pollen, and pretty much anything that came from animals, also including dairy products and hairs/fur/skin cells, etc.

I outgrew all of my food allergies except for my peanut allergy (which has only gotten worse - of the two near-fatal allergic reaction's I've had in my life, the second was caused by a little peanut accident two years ago. When I was ten, there was a similar accident that "only" caused a good bout of vomiting and some subsequent rash), though I'm still mildly asthmatic and allergic to cat- and dog hair.
Shizu-chan

Post by Shizu-chan »

I suppose adding that I'm slightly Asthmatic helps. I mean that in that it is almost as if my respiration rate is 60% of what it should be. I run a few metres, and i feel it takes 10 minutes of panting to gain the right breathing level again.

I think i might be allergic to cat hair? but it's not been confirmed yet..
"..."
Kirrin

Post by Kirrin »

Crohns disease and asthma.
censere

Post by censere »

I''ve got bad eyesight (nearsighted) but I'm not too good with the units used before. For all I know I'm at ~6to8 dpt, meaning without glasses I won't be able to see the white in your eyes if you're farther then ten cm (four inches?) from me.
That was last year, when I was fifteen, though.
Other from that there's my rheumatism, which gets worse enough when the weather suddenly turns cold or warm that I can't move my legs starting from the knees and my fingers, sometimes some different limbs too.
It hurts like hell, but the problem lies within the inflammations in the joints, because they are the mechanic hurdle and the reason why I can't move around freely. First started when I was in ... 3rd grade? Quite a hassly since I'm pretty much athletic, was athletic I must say. Some years ago it got worse enough that I wasn't able to train properly anymore.
Only good thing about it is, that I may or may not get some extra time for the exams at school

Anything else? Well, like the ones just mentioned not really a disability I think, but for my soon seventeen years my body is already beaten enough to have lived some many decades more. From time to time the old wounds think it's fun to torture me again for an hour or two. Mostly, when I have to think about things I don't want to think about. Once I wrote a test over 100min and after half of it I got five little notices simultaneously asking wether I was still alive, 'cause the pain made me go pretty pale.

Then again, I don't know if any of those would even be considered a disability, but I'm not sure what excatly defines those either. All I know is that once I get my license I won't be able to use the alway free parking spots, sadly.
Wraith_Magus

Post by Wraith_Magus »

I wouldn't consider myself disabled, but because of obvious coincidence/relevance to KS, I thought I'd share mine... Basically, the paternal side of my family has serious genetic heart problems. It killed my great-grandfather, my grandfather, will probably be what kills my father, and will likely wind up with me having something serious somewhere down the road, as well. My father, in fact, has Arrhythmia, which is the whole coincidence I think is worth posting part.

Somewhat like Hisao, he takes 9 different pills for his condition... there's one for the arrythmia itself, two that are blood pressure medications, and then some pills that treat the side-effects of the previous medications, because apparently the first medication causes nerve damage (he complains of having what are basically phantom pains in his torso for no reason that are growing into what he calls "someone fishing around in his kidneys with a coat hanger" if he fails to take his medication for that nowadays) that is growing more severe the longer time goes on, and the more that his dosage keeps going up.

Unlike Hisao, he doesn't really have a "heart attack" if he strains himself, he instead has palpitations, and his heart will suddenly start flying into a frenzy where it beats four or five times as fast as it should, but will beat with the chambers out of order, or too shallowly to really carry blood, so he has to basically lie down immediately, or he'll pass out. I guess there might be different types of arrythmia, but from what I've seen, the onset of an attack shouldn't really be just a heavy heartbeat, like the game's special effects show it, but rather a helicopter-like "whup-whup-whup-whup-whup" heartbeat.

As for what sets him off, aside from not taking his pills, he'll suddenly go into palpitations when doing physical things, like lifting something heavy, but also, whenever he eats anything spicy (which is highly annoying, because I love spicy, and it means we simply can't eat the same foods most of the time,) I think because it will cause acid reflux, not because of it being spicy in and of itself (I actually hear the chemical that makes food spicy is good for your heart). When it goes off, he basically has to lie down and nap for several hours for it to get back in line, because I think one of the problems is that once the palpitations start, the heart can't pump enough blood, so it compensates by just pumping FASTER, which only inflames the problem, and makes it hard to come out of it, as well as causing his blood to not be pumped efficiently enough that it won't reach his head if he doesn't lie down.

Personally, I still have a ways to decline, I just take blood pressure medication to reduce the strain on my heart, and have to eat low-salt diets for my health, but I only occasionally get palpitations (that's when you have irregular heartbeats) that are too short in duration to have a serious effect on me, and that only really happens when I haven't gotten enough sleep (which is a problem, as I'm also an insomniac). But to describe what it feels like, it's basically like if your heart all of a sudden got a large air bubble in it. You suddenly feel your heart beating very far in your chest, and pumping strongly, but it's like there's no resistance, and no blood is going anywhere when it pumps, it's just spasming but not accomplishing anything... Apparently, the doctor says it's nothing yet, but it's certainly not a comforting feeling to be awake at night, waiting to go to sleep, and feeling my heart suddenly start trying to leap out of my chest for no reason.

I don't know if the devs would read this, consider putting something like this into the descriptions of Hisao's condition, but that's what I've experienced, anyway.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Wraith_Magus wrote:I don't know if the devs would read this, consider putting something like this into the descriptions of Hisao's condition, but that's what I've experienced, anyway.
We do read the forums, and we kinda did. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Wraith_Magus

Post by Wraith_Magus »

Silentcook wrote:We do read the forums, and we kinda did. Thanks for sharing your experience.
haah... Sorry for not assuming you did, then.

Coincidentally, looking at that link, I take Lisinopril, myself, as do both my parents, although I take a larger dose. I actually kind of like taking Lisinopril, as for one thing, it's one of the few pills that actually works for me, and you have a clear way of measuring it, and its effects are pretty dramatic. Plus, it's only side-effect for me is a scratchy throat/urge to cough, which sure beats the now-permanent twitchy leg I have from some of my previous medications, which didn't even work in the first place.

Oh, but one thing I thought about reflecting on my post, was the amount that the doctors were always talking about salt. Salt is apparently like a tiny little horde of zombies, and if you let them into your body, they will eat your precious, precious brains heart strength, and you will die, so you are always eating too much salt, no matter how much of it you are currently eating. It's sort of like flossing with dentists, you can't ever get away from the doctor without them telling you to eat less salt and always watch your blood pressure. Of course, when Emi says "no fried foods", fried foods are bad for both cholesterol and salt (and calories and basically everything), so that's still fair enough.

Blood pressure is apparently the big thing to watch, since, as far as I can tell, it basically measures how much your heart is working, and by extension, how quickly the thing is just going to give up and collapse on you, so your blood pressure is always too high. When you hear people talking about heart health, it's generally about cholesterol, but that's for outright heart attacks where the arteries get clogged, and this is for "your heart is just too taxed to keep beating"-type heart failure.

But basically, there's two numbers in your blood pressure, one is your "heart is not beating right now" blood pressure, and one is your "when your heart is beating right this instant", sort of high-water-mark blood pressure. My first number is slightly below average, but my second number, the one that says how hard the heart is beating, is in the danger zone, or was before I started taking Lisinopril, as that stuff is pretty darn effective, and produced an almost instant drop of 40 points off my second number blood pressure.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Yeah, High blood pressure's more dangerous down here in the South hemi. A lot of my meals aren't with added salt (I've found other ways to thicken flavour that involves neither this nor hundreds of thousands of unborn children) because a few of my cousins (And occasionally my grandparents) have sensitive pressure rates.

Although I never figured how one what cholesterol was measured in.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué