Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Wren

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Wren »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:I'm intending to install Linux on an old laptop of mine and use it as a fold/seedbox. What would be a good build to use? 64 bit processor if that makes a difference.
Ubuntu Netbook 10.04, or ArchLinux. My personal preference is Ubuntu, quick to setup and get running in a few hours.
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Ryougi

Post by Ryougi »

Taking main box offline in preparation for move. Back in a few days.
[LaZa]

Post by [LaZa] »

Ok, so I downloaded the program, installed it and I put my User name and the Team number, but how can I really check that my computer's working?
Honestly, I don't know much about this, I just hope that it doesn't make my computer go *BOOM* :| .
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!
Fuin

Post by Fuin »

[LaZa] wrote:Ok, so I downloaded the program, installed it and I put my User name and the Team number, but how can I really check that my computer's working?
Honestly, I don't know much about this, I just hope that it doesn't make my computer go *BOOM* :| .
Right click on the F@H icon in the lower right corner of your screen. (It looks like a bunch of different coloured balls.)
On the menu that appears there's a menu called Status, go there and then click on Log file. If it works as it should it will have some intro text, then somthing like this:
[16:05:40] Completed 99900 out of 499375 steps (20%)
[16:27:22] Completed 104900 out of 499375 steps (21%)
[16:49:44] Completed 109900 out of 499375 steps (22%)
[17:12:28] Completed 114900 out of 499375 steps (23%)
[17:35:48] Completed 119900 out of 499375 steps (24%)
[17:56:38] Completed 124900 out of 499375 steps (25%)
[18:18:14] Completed 129900 out of 499375 steps (26%)
[18:41:41] Completed 134900 out of 499375 steps (27%)
[19:03:25] Completed 139900 out of 499375 steps (28%)
[LaZa]

Post by [LaZa] »

Fuin wrote:
[LaZa] wrote:Ok, so I downloaded the program, installed it and I put my User name and the Team number, but how can I really check that my computer's working?
Right click on the F@H icon in the lower right corner of your screen. (It looks like a bunch of different coloured balls.)
On the menu that appears there's a menu called Status, go there and then click on Log file. If it works as it should it will have some intro text, then somthing like this:
[16:05:40] Completed 99900 out of 499375 steps (20%)
[16:27:22] Completed 104900 out of 499375 steps (21%)
[16:49:44] Completed 109900 out of 499375 steps (22%)
[17:12:28] Completed 114900 out of 499375 steps (23%)
[17:35:48] Completed 119900 out of 499375 steps (24%)
[17:56:38] Completed 124900 out of 499375 steps (25%)
[18:18:14] Completed 129900 out of 499375 steps (26%)
[18:41:41] Completed 134900 out of 499375 steps (27%)
[19:03:25] Completed 139900 out of 499375 steps (28%)
Alright, then it is working, thanks!

EDIT: Well, I have another question, because I think my PC isn't working for KatawaShoujo, but for other team, when I press status and Team Statistics, it redirects me to KatawaShoujo's F@H webpage, but when I press User Statistics it redirects to my F@H userpage and it shows like my team is "EOC Folding@Home Team (11314)", is this normal and I have to wait for some kind of F@H Update?
PS: In my team number I have KatawaShoujo's (167809).
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!
das bruce

Post by das bruce »

If it's redirecting you to KS page for Team Statistics it's working. You won't notice your name on the board until you've submitted one complete unit and they've updated the boards, which happens hourly.

/edit/
How the hell is Samophlange producing 16k points a day?
Fuin

Post by Fuin »

das bruce wrote:/edit/
How the hell is Samophlange producing 16k points a day?
That's only an average score, his production can be much larger than that. Yesterday he produced 73000+ points.
I'm guessing that he/she has access to several very powerful computers in a computer lab or something like that.
[LaZa] wrote: EDIT: Well, I have another question, because I think my PC isn't working for KatawaShoujo, but for other team, when I press status and Team Statistics, it redirects me to KatawaShoujo's F@H webpage, but when I press User Statistics it redirects to my F@H userpage and it shows like my team is "EOC Folding@Home Team (11314)", is this normal and I have to wait for some kind of F@H Update?
PS: In my team number I have KatawaShoujo's (167809).
I think that another user is using the same username as you. The points that you fold will still go to the KS team score but you'll have to share the page (and the total score, I believe) with that person. Change your user name if you want to have a user page/score of your own.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Weeeeeell, Looks like my folding 24/7 has stressed out my 3 year old power supply and my main folding rig is down for a week or so till my replacement power supply gets delivered. It should be here by the 20th or so and a day or so to dink around and install it... I'll still be folding on my second rig but not anywhere near as good numbers.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

100,000 work units!
100k F@H
100k F@H
tcert.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
Last edited by Merlyn_LeRoy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Well done, everyone.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:100,000 work units!
Sweet! Most teams... well, they fold up and disappear before they get anywhere near the results we have. (I couldn't resist; mea culpa, mea culpa... ) :wink:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

So I finally got off my lazy ass and started folding as well.
So far I'm using my PS3 and my Laptop, churning out slow but steady 500-1000 points a day. I'd like to do a bit better though, so I have a few questions for those with more experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) The PS3 takes about 6 hours to finish a workunit for about 4 wu/day if it runs 24/7. I've been running it for about 48 hours now without any signs of overheating or other adverse effects. Does anyone know if that is advisable in the long run, or should it be turned of for a few hours a day?

2a) So far I'm running the client in a DOS-console. The performance is a bit lackluster though. It takes twice as long to finish a package as the PS3 does. (It could be the file sizes are bigger, but I haven't found a way to compare those yet.) Also, it never seems to use more than 50% of my CPU, even if I close every other program. I know there are other types of clients available, but the FAQ on the folding page is a nightmare. My system is a Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 with 2,26GHz, 3GB RAM and a GeForce 9600M GT. The system is usually running nothing but Firefox. Which client would you recommend for this system.

2b) There is a GPU client which makes use of the graphic card. Can I use that with my system and is it advisable?
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So I finally got off my lazy ass and started folding as well.
So far I'm using my PS3 and my Laptop, churnig out slow but steady 500-1000 points a day. I'd like to do a bit better though, so I have a few questions for those with more experience. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) The PS3 takes about 6 hours to finish a workunit for about 4 wu/day if it runs 24/7. I've been running it for about 48 hours now without any signs of overheating or other adverse effects. Does anyone know if that is advisable in the long run, or should it be turned of for a few hours a day?

2a) So far I'm running the client in a DOS-console. The performance is a bit lackluster though. It takes twice as long to finish a package as the PS3 does. (It could be the file sizes are bigger, but I haven't found a way to compare those yet.) Also, it never seems to use more than 50% of my CPU, even if I close every other program. I know there are other types of clients available, but the FAQ on the folding page is a nightmare. My system is a Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 with 2,26GHz, 3GB RAM and a GeForce 9600M GT. The system is usually running nothing but Firefox. Which client would you recommend for this system.

2b) There is a GPU client which makes use of the graphic card. Can I use that with my system and is it advisable?
As far as the PS3 I ran one 24/7 for over a year with no problems. I just made sure to blow it out with compressed air every 3 months or so because I had it out in the open in a pretty dusty environment. Then my girlfriend insisted I put it inside the A/V cabinet which is enclosed with glass doors on the front. This location caused so much heat build up I stopped running F@H on the PS3.

To use both cores of your CPU you would need to run either the 32 or the 64 bit SMP client. Frankly it can be a hassle to set up. I myself have stopped running it because of stability issues with some of my software on my computer.

Your GPU is listed as CUDA capable on the Nvidia website. So you could run that as well as either a console or SMP/multicore client at the same time. The question gets into the subject of heat build up in your notebook. Since I've never run F@H on a notebook I can't begin to offer advice on it.

Ryougi

Post by Ryougi »

Alternatively, to use both cores you could just run two instances of the standard client. I personally think running smp is worth the effort for the points bonus (which kicks in after you finish your first 10 smp units). However it is indeed not stable on everything and requires a bit more work to set up.

You could give the gpu client a shot, but my gut tells me a laptop gpu probably won't put out enough work to make it worth it. Worth a try though to determine how well it does work. Keep in mind that gpu clients tend to eat up some of the cpu as well so if you're going to run it, leave one core open for it to use. I notice the folding client really drops off in performance if it can't have a whole core to itself. It's still possible that the gains would outweigh the losses, but I find this is not the case at least for my own setup. Either do two standard clients, one standard and gpu, or just smp. I spent around a month trying out different configurations for my main system until I found the best one (although this involved some changes of hardware as well) so be aware it can take some time to really optimize.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Thanks for the advice.
I installed the GPU client yesterday and after a few problems it seems to be running smoothly now. I just uploaded the first WU. It took about as long as the console client to complete it, but according to some FAQs it should be worth more.
No heat problems so far, but the GPU client doesn't stop the computer from going into standby... Maybe running it simultaneously with the console client will fix that, but I haven't tried that yet.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.