KS: The Fighting Game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Leotrak

Re: KS: The Fighting Game

Post by Leotrak »

TipsyRooster wrote:Kenji would have to be drunken master.
Oh hell yes.

TipsyRooster wrote:Emi would be doing some sort of speed based martial art, maybe kick boxing.
Them prosthetics sure pack a pun... er, kick
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Posing the question to the wider community: If Lilly fights with her cane using it like a sword, or even outright using a sword, should she be a fencer or a kendo practitioner? Everyone seems to be pretty well-set that they want to see her using her cane, so I've come to this question here.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Fencing, hands down.
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

I agree with fencing as well. iirc Lilly comes from a fairly upperclass, at least partially foreign family, and I think the sport of fencing just fits that image much more than kendo.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

I totally agree that Lily should use her cane as a weapon but I think it should be a versatile thing rather than being locked into one attack style. Give her a mix of sword fighting style moves (as others have said fencing moves fit best) as well as some staff like moves. After all it's not a blade so she's not limited in what parts she can hold and attack with. Maybe she could even have some spins and throws involving it (think Litchi from BlazBlue). At any rate while I think she should have some sword skills I don't think a fencing stance (holding her cane raised in front of her) would really suit her.

I'm not so sure about that character roster as well. For one Misha is a really terrible omission and for two she's been omitted over much more minor characters like Yuuko, Nurse and Mutou. Seriously put Misha in there and give her an awesome drill based special. Then consider cutting the roster from 10 to 8, it'll make for an easier starting point. Failing that I'd definitely cut Yuuko for Misha, Mutou for Akira and I guess Nurse can stay.
GMKGoat

Post by GMKGoat »

Wreckusu wrote:Seriously put Misha in there and give her an awesome drill based special.
I think we all know what that means.
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Wreckusu wrote:I'm not so sure about that character roster as well. For one Misha is a really terrible omission and for two she's been omitted over much more minor characters like Yuuko, Nurse and Mutou. Seriously put Misha in there and give her an awesome drill based special. Then consider cutting the roster from 10 to 8, it'll make for an easier starting point. Failing that I'd definitely cut Yuuko for Misha, Mutou for Akira and I guess Nurse can stay.
We're only talking the core five girls and Hisao for now. Misha was left out of the initial post because we hadn't really settled on whether her and Shizune were going to be one character. Shizune is our most developed girl as of right now, and Misha's been cut out of her design. Assuming we ever get that far, I'd say Misha will be next on the list after the core cast.
kapparomeo

Post by kapparomeo »

Just popping in to voice a thought about move-sets - given how often Yuuko bangs her head, it would be characterful and fitting for headbutts to be her specialty - bumping against the library counter so often must harden out her cranium. Instead of flying kicks she could do soccer-esque diving headers, and her signature special move would be the "Glasgow Kiss".
There was a young clerk who took exception to Curzon's memorandum. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, 'Round Objects'. Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Wow, I haven't been on this topic for a while. How goes the actual construction of the game? I remember seeing some sprite designs and such but nothing past that
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Devon

Post by Devon »

My question is this: what engine are we even going to run this on?

Are we going to stick to the traditional style of Street Fighter with very light movement or are we going to take a BlazBlue approach and make the fighting extremely free form?

On a slightly different note, regarding Lilly's fighting techniques, would it not be prudent to base her style around that of the Blind Swordsman? I understand that everyone wants her to have a less-than-cliche fighting style, but I believe taking elements from that might help drive farther into how her play style works out.

And if we're going to talk about button combination, Lilly should definitely NOT be a Charging character. It just wouldn't work.

Edit: And, in hindsight to Tipsy stating that Emi should have a kicking-based fighting style, what do you expect Rin's fighting style to be based around, beating people with her stumps? Emi's style should be speed-based, yes, but I think she'd be more of a grappling/full-body-type fighter whose actual punches would all be Light Punches.

Or...we could turn her into a Dudley and put boxing gloves on her. :D
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Wow, I haven't been on this topic for a while. How goes the actual construction of the game? I remember seeing some sprite designs and such but nothing past that
Probably best described as "slow." We're still moving, but not rapidly. The guy doing our basic keyframes has been too busy to churn out any work. We've laid the groundwork in terms of an engine and one movelist complete enough to start spriting, but neither one can be implemented without some graphics.
My question is this: what engine are we even going to run this on?
For now, we're talking Mugen. I was initially highly skeptical of this, but the basic point that was proven was that although the vast majority of Mugen work is poor quality roughshod garbage, that is not indicative of its actual power and ability to make a proper functioning game.
Are we going to stick to the traditional style of Street Fighter with very light movement or are we going to take a BlazBlue approach and make the fighting extremely free form?
The system we worked out is Guilty Gear XX peppered with some KoF XI. I have been thinking about putting some further touches on this with a spot of gameplay inspired by Tekken, but I need to set time aside for a long-winded theorycraft conversation with a friend of mine to do so.
On a slightly different note, regarding Lilly's fighting techniques, would it not be prudent to base her style around that of the Blind Swordsman? I understand that everyone wants her to have a less-than-cliche fighting style, but I believe taking elements from that might help drive farther into how her play style works out.

And if we're going to talk about button combination, Lilly should definitely NOT be a Charging character. It just wouldn't work.

Edit: And, in hindsight to Tipsy stating that Emi should have a kicking-based fighting style, what do you expect Rin's fighting style to be based around, beating people with her stumps? Emi's style should be speed-based, yes, but I think she'd be more of a grappling/full-body-type fighter whose actual punches would all be Light Punches.

Or...we could turn her into a Dudley and put boxing gloves on her. :D
Lilly is going to be using her cane or her sword like a cane. Haven't quite decided that one yet - it's not supremely important because she's further down the list. The broad strokes I've proposed are making her a character somewhat reminiscent of Vega, where she gets a lot of her damage from speedy, high-reach pokes and less mixup.

Rin is going to be an oddball character - we've talked about basically giving her a large set of highly differentiated tools, but no individual piece that's particularly powerful. I have to hammer her out some more, but the basic notion looks quite fun.

Emi is going to be a rushdown character, most likely focused around good ol' plainclothes high-low mixup and pressure. I'd like her to feel like a KoF character.

Shizune is the only character who as of yet has motions assigned to her attacks. We have no chargies yet, but I can't say it won't happen. My main goals in designing are depth and fun, and if something strikes me as having both, even if it's charge attacks on Lilly, I'll run with it. :P

Also, anyone who's interested in helping out, talk to Danny. I've sort of pilfered a lot of things about being a leader or director of the project, but he's still essentially coordinating the team and working out who has the skills to do what. A few people seem to have silently slipped away; I don't know that we need any of them now but we're going to need them eventually.
DannyL7773

Post by DannyL7773 »

Yeah, the work is slow. But that's okay. If we ran full paced to churn out something, the finished project wouldn't be so good would it? And as Ricardo said, some people are busy and have little time they are able to devote to working on the game. Also, it may not look like I'm around but don't fret, I am. I keep an eye on things, if anything comes up, I'll be there.

If you want a position on the team talk to me. The forums haven't been as active as they have been but we still do need some help.
Any people who have artistic ability could help out Halkure with the keyframes and it will be much appreciated by everyone. Lightens the load. I'll be helping out straight after keyframes are made by being part of the clean up crew. From there, the drawn keyframes will look like base sprite outlines which the base colorers (I can do this) will fill in then shade if they can, or hand the sprites over to more experienced shaders. After a sheet has been made, it will be separated by the coders. Who will then proceed to set up the animations, collisions and code of the characters, I'll personally also be handling this.

Also, anyone who wishes to learn how to code in mugen, I'll be welcome to help you out.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

whoa you guys are still trying to do this thing.

Sorry for my lack of comments here, but i've been doing codding intense classes for the last two semesters. So i've been a bit burn out on coding. How ever if all goes well, i'll be done with the last of them come November and then will be able to give you guys some help.
Necrous

Post by Necrous »

Just putting in my two cents here. I'd like to pitch in my efforts to help you, but I'm not really sure how much I'd be able to assist that others can't do better.

Name: Necrous (Screen name, I also answer to "Nec")
Position: Beta Tester, researcher, or maybe coder/sprites?
Example of work: I've taken courses in C coding last year, and years ago I did actionscripting and HTML (I'm so out of practice with those I shouldn't even bother mentioning them, nevermind that) I don't think I have any surviving copies of code from my classes that I could show you, but I'll look for anything I can find once I get back from visiting the family for the Holidays.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

It seems as though this project is offically dead, pity
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic