what will you do when the game comes out?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

trhvmn

Re: what will you do when the game comes out?

Post by trhvmn »

I will download it and then add it to the list of visual novels that I have to read, but can never find the time to do so.

feels bad man
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock.
[LaZa]

Post by [LaZa] »

Keita wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:1. Download & Install
2. Play Emi's Path
3. Start on the german translation of Emi's Path*
4. Play the other Paths in no particular order
5. Continue with the translation of the other paths

*I assume the scripts will not be grouped not by days but by paths in the full game
Why bother to translate it to such an ugly language as German?
German isn't ugly, it's pretty cool, it's just that mostly everyone hates their native language. Damn spanish...

On-Topic: Well, download it and play it, try to aim to Hanako's path, but I'll try to play it slowly, most games for me only last 1 day, so I guess I'll have to be more patient with KS :| .
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Keita wrote:Why bother to translate it to such an ugly language as German?
Well, first of all, because I really enjoy translating. I'd do it for a living, but since I'm fairly certain my current job pays better (and since I don't exactly hate that job either), I stick to fan projects like KS. I've done other stuff before, like Fanfictions or Webcomics, but KS is so far the biggest project I'm involved in.
Secondly what Leotrak said. Sure, most germans learned english at school and speak it well enough to get by on a daily basis, but some simply prefer reading german, and many aren't so proficient, they would get all the nuances - especially Aura has a knack for including word plays that it's really challenging to translate. (I'm looking forward to working on Rin's path...)
Which brings me to the third reason: It really enhances the experience of the game. It is one thing to read KS and enjoy the story and art, and it is something completely different to work with the script files, pore over every sentence and every sentence, trying to pinpoint what exactly the writers were trying to convey and then determining how that character would say the same thing in german. For example in "The Deep End" several lines had me wondering whether the characters were intentionally talking gibberish because they were drunk or whether there is some obscure figure of speech or slang expression that neither me nor urban dictionary know about ... For example, I'm still not certain whether the phrase "Let's go trolling (for) women" has an actual meaning or not^^°
Also, you begin to notice subtle differences between the different writers. When I learned from the Manifest podcast that A22 had written a lot of the Kenji stuff in the VN, I wasn't surprised at all. Those scenes along with Shizune's path are probably the hardest to translate. Most lines have to be completely rewritten, because of his preferance for gerund, which sounds incredibly archaic when translated directly to german. Also he likes to use very long sentences. Look for it next time you play - those scenes are the most likely to actually use all three lines the text box offers ;-)
On the other hand Emi's scenes by Hivemind are a joy to translate. I usually do them in one go. I didn't keep the exact time, but I think I needed almost twice the time to translate "No Free Lunch" compared to "Exercise" despite the latter being about twice as long.
OK, this post went on for longer than I originally intended^^° Sorry if I bored some of you ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

German is a fairly interesting langauge. Sounds very aggressive.
Keita

Post by Keita »

@Mirage_GSM: It would´ve been enough if you had said you enjoy it.^^

@Wrench Wench: I don´t really think that I was aggressive. I did ask a question and stated my opinion at the same time.
Hanako=Lilly>Rin>(Misha)>Shizune>Emi 1089
[LaZa]

Post by [LaZa] »

I think she meant that the German Language sounds agressive.
...The answer? Use a gun, and if that don't work, use more gun!
----------------------
Ranking no more, mWahaha~!
Keita

Post by Keita »

So? Then I would like to hear why? That´s something I can´t comprehend.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).
For example french or italian are langages where sentences can flow together into a sort of melody. In german all words are pronounced distinctly seperately, which makes the language sound clipped or aggressive.
I don't know if I explained that well. It's more what I feel when I hear a language than a scientific explanation. Maybe someone with a linguistics degree could elaborate.

Then again the fact that many Americans get most of their exposure to the german language from WWII movies might be a factor as well ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Darroth

Post by Darroth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).
For example french or italian are langages where sentences can flow together into a sort of melody. In german all words are pronounced distinctly seperately, which makes the language sound clipped or aggressive.
I don't know if I explained that well. It's more what I feel when I hear a language than a scientific explanation. Maybe someone with a linguistics degree could elaborate.

Then again the fact that many Americans get most of their exposure to the german language from WWII movies might be a factor as well ;-)
What does American English sound like to a native German speaker?
Keita

Post by Keita »

Darroth wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:To many who learn german as a foreign language or who simply hear it spoken it does sound aggressive. There are a few other languages for which the same can be said (i.e. Latin or Russian).

What does American English sound like to a native German speaker?
I don´t really think you can give a language a definitive trait. I would rather say it depends on whom you speak with. If I have to choose a trait, I would say it sounds pretty cool to me.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

American English sounds like an awful mangling of the English language to us Brits.
Blood-Beryl

Post by Blood-Beryl »

I will...

1.Drop everything else I am currently doing

2.(Try to) Play the Lilly path (and try to take my time so that I can enjoy it)

3.Follow Hanakos path (which I am veeeery curious about)

4.Follow Emis, Rins and Shizunes path (in that order if I do not change my mind while playing)

5.Look what the other forum-members are saying about it

And of course I will thank Suriko, Aura and Co. for their ridiculous amounts of work for something they do not even get paid for.
(Yeah, sounds a bit inappropriate not to thank them until the game is finished but I think that would be the best moment for that...)
Lilly > Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Just wanting it not to come out during the middle of my finals week. If it comes out before February maybe I'll get a table at KitsuneKon and declare it to the entire Fox Valley Area.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Reach for the tissues.
Alicia_Gunther

Post by Alicia_Gunther »

1. Choose random stuff and see what ending I get
2. Go for Rin (if I didn't get her the first time)
3. Go for everybody else
4. 100% CG
5. Do something else