Emi sprites thread.

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Caesius

Re: Emi sprites thread.

Post by Caesius »

G3n0c1de wrote:In my opinion, they ought to just keep the design she now has, and clean up the sprites. No offense, but you speak as if it's not possible to clean up the sketchy details on the sprites.
It may have come off that way, though that's not what I meant. I was hypothetically considering that maybe the best thing to do for the game in the long run (even more so than simply cleaning up the sprites) would be to redesign the sprites completely in order to both improve the art quality and consistency, since even if the current sprites were cleaned up they probably could not be made consistent with the other sprite sets.

Obviously I don't think the dev team would consider redesigning the sprites until they've already tried cleaning up the ones they've got, and they most likely would not actually implement a redesigned sprite set unless they were absolutely satisfied with it (especially now that they've already thrown out one set of Emi sprites), but the implementation of the new Yuuko sprites gives me reason to doubt that they won't muck it up in some fashion, as much as I'd like to trust their judgment. And for clarification of what I mean by that, I think the new Yuuko sprites went for both an inferior character design and an art style that doesn't fit with the other sprites. I suppose I feel for old Yuuko what the original Emifags feel for old Emi, though with a much lesser magnitude. So I guess if I directed my Yuukofeelings toward the new Emi sprites and cranked it up to 11 then I'd be another spitting-mad Emifag spewing many of the same arguments as that guy up there who engaged in some fictional dialogue.

edit: And of course by "up there" I mean "on the last page." Thanks again, newpage.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:...but the implementation of the new Yuuko sprites gives me reason to doubt that they won't muck it up in some fashion, as much as I'd like to trust their judgment. And for clarification of what I mean by that, I think the new Yuuko sprites went for both an inferior character design and an art style that doesn't fit with the other sprites.
I've got to respectfully disagree. While playing through the latest version I really didn't notice Yuuko's sprite sticking out at all, in fact, she did so even less than I thought she would. I also think she's got a lot more character now, more quirky, I guess, which really fits with how she's written. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Post by Guest »

Even though I don't see why Emi had to change (she didn't look particularly loli to me) I do like the new design as well. However the old sprites for Emi and the rest of the cast were very consistent, and the new Emi just doesn't match. The initial release of Act 1 has set the bar extremely high regarding professionalism and consistency, and that's both a blessing and a curse.
That said, I think it should be possible to clean up Emi's sprites without redrawing them from scratch. All that's needed is a few hours with Photoshop, making sure lines are consistent in weight, shading is enhanced a bit, details are cleaned up, minor mistakes fixed (chin, mouth), and you're good to go. The only sprite I would redraw, if I could draw at all, would be the one where she's pouting. The overall posture just doesn't work quite as well as old Emi's, but I'm sure new Emi's could pout just as well as old Emi, if she only tried.
Kazuki

Post by Kazuki »

My game didn't have the new Emi sprite, despite it being v4. It might be a problem with the Linux version, but I'm not sure.
"The only law you need is a gun and a good aim."
DemonOfRandgris

Post by DemonOfRandgris »

I think it would be prudent of me to post this.

All credit to that goes to Ernest for that awesome pic. As hilarious as that is, I think I should put that out there if only to have a fair comparison of both the New and Old Emi sprites together.

Sketchiness aside, I really do prefer new Emi over old. -shrug-
G3n0c1de wrote:Harvey Dent is not moe.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

DemonOfRandgris wrote:image
Wait... how does that tie work?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

I figured it was hooked onto the first button on her dress. Which is rather silly, but the only way I can see it happening...
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

You guys are right. That tie does seem to be in an odd place as opposed to the rest of the girls.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Does that uniform evenhave buttons in front?
Looks to me like the ribbon is simply sewn to the front.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I always figured the ribbon went around the neck and tied in front, which means she could have it coming out from under her second button or whatever.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

neuman's right. Explanation or no, new Emi's tie doesn't really match the rest of the girls.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Hmm, the tie doesn't match the others, but it's physically possible to have it there, so I doubt it'll get changed. Maybe Emi hates tying it and just sewed it on, and didn't care about sewing it in exactly the right place.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

There's no sense in trying to come up with an in-universe excuse for it since the reason it's like that is simply because moekki wasn't thinking and made a mistake. I don't find it bothersome though.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Maybe it is a clip on bow; think of it as Emi's new Captain's Stripe if you want. :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Bara wrote:Maybe it is a clip on bow blah blah
the post before wrote:There's no sense in trying to come up with an in-universe excuse for it
Don't do that :x