If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Minister of Gloom

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Caesius wrote:
Esa94 wrote:
Caesius wrote:How does a person with heterochromia get a driver's license?
Why would heterochromia affect getting a driver's license?
Same reason a deaf girl would need glasses.
Because it makes her look cute(er) and (more)intelligent?
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

You guys aren't very good at going along with my throwaway jokes. What are we doing now, equating getting a driver's license with cuteness and intelligence? :|

Anyway here's how a girl with heterochromia gets a driver's license: She wears a hearing aid.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:You guys aren't very good at going along with my most throwaway jokes.
It took you 782 posts to realize this? :P
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

Did not vote due to not having anything worth of noting as a _disability_.

I do, however, have a lot of small stuff. Both of my knee joints are very loose, as a result I may partially dislocate my knee when rising up from a crouching position, my knee joints ache very annoyingly, sometimes extremely painfully if they get cold, they also don't really like walking long distances too much, probably due to degrading caused by extra friction. Never really stops me from walking like a mad old cow though, just makes me really angry at myself at the end of the day.
My knees also rotate around quite disturbingly. I can force my shin to turn almost 90 degrees outwards without my thigh moving an inch. A good party trick to make the ladies scared. Oh, and I almost forgot, my knees also make this kind of popping sound when shaked. Basically it's just the bones hitting each other but it's so loud that in a normal room someone on the other side can hear the sound when I shake them. (It's another good trick to show off my knees to people, most people can't stand the sound.)

My joints are, all in all, pretty loose. For instance my ankles pop when turned outwards. Both of them also cause a somewhat loud crack when I fully "extend" them. Still on the joint issue, my fingers pop a lot, also crack every once in a while. My collar bones are more or less unconnected at the far end, I can move them around quite bit. Connected with that is the fact that my shoulders crack when I "cartwheel" them around.
Oh, my wrists, especially my right one, crack quite a bit too. And my toes. And my spine. All in all I'm quite a crackly guy. Not a big selling point for the women, usually, although fun. (Almost forgot my neck, cracks all the time. And my right elbow too.)

I am nearsighted, not very much though. With glasses my eyesight is quite perfect (albeit I could use a new pair, my eyes seem to be slowly getting a bit worse) but without them I can't read normal text from more than half a meter away. My dark vision is also sort of bad, even with glasses on I have problems making out distinct shapes in low light. I do see a shape, but I can't really understand what it is until I'm right next to it.

I have a strange problem with remembering and connecting faces and names, mostly, but also things connected with the two. I am not face blind, it seems. I thought I was but a test I took implied otherwise. I just can't remember people that well.
A person can introduce himself to me and I will forget their name within seconds. I may spend a weekend talking with a person and the next weekend I won't even remember his appearance let alone name. (This just happened to me this weekend.)
I have a lot of people I would call friends but whom I really don't know by name at all. These are people I spend time with, hang out with and have been introduced to, in a larger crowd, but each and every time we part I forget them. Only thing that lingers when I next meet them is a strange feeling of knowing the face and knowing the person but no chance of actually remembering the person beyond that.

I wonder if that's most of it. I am also quite a strange person on most people's standards, but that is quite much a side point.
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

So, in theory, a friend could fuck with you a lot and be a dick, then come back a few days later and be all friendly and you wouldn't really know he did it?

Can you remember someone's voice instead of their names or faces, or do you have trouble remembering that, too?
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

Wait, is that Prospagnosia? I heard of that. There was a fascinating interview with a doctor in some paper.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Caesius wrote:You guys aren't very good at going along with my throwaway jokes. What are we doing now, equating getting a driver's license with cuteness and intelligence? :|

Anyway here's how a girl with heterochromia gets a driver's license: She wears a hearing aid.
One would think that getting a Drivers License involves intelligence at the very least. Then again, what with the road these days...
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

@Scarlet Fox:
Well, if I actually _knew_ the person beforehand, I couldn't be fooled like that. But if didn't know the person at all or if I had only met him briefly before, I just might be partially fooled. Basically meaning that later on I couldn't exactly be sure if it was the same person or someone who, maybe, resembles him.
ie. Someone I met once before could come to me, pretend that he'd never met me, then screw me around and leave and a few weeks later come back to me, acting as the person I met first time and conveniently forget the time that he screwed me around and unless my mind has worked wonders for a change, I wouldn't notice the change.

Also I could well befriend someone who, at some earlier point in time, screwed me around and never mentioned it. I most probably just wouldn't remember the face at all, so the past would stay "safe."

No, I don't really remember voices that well either. It's not like I can't remember them, but they don't really sink into my head either. Some very distinct ways of speech I can remember. Usually the voice is a side point, though. Not something I really try to remember.

@Minister of Gloom:
No, I don't think it's prospagnosia AKA face blindness. As I mentioned, I tested it briefly and I actually got a better result than the median is. (80% is the median result, I got over 90% right) I'm just really bad at remembering faces, names and where I met them.
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
commissarchristoph

Post by commissarchristoph »

I don't have anything other than bad vision(Not terribad, my glasses are off and I can bring the screen about eighteen inches from my face before it starts getting blurry), along with a weird eyelid.

However, I do have a story somewhat related to my lack of disabilities: When I was younger I basically hit the lottery when I managed to not only live through ECMO, but come out without anything serious done to me (There was a 50/50 chance of me living, and even then there was like a 75% chance of coming out with some sort of severe disability, be it physical or mental). Also, I was born without a heartbeat. I like to think this makes me a zombie.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

commissarchristoph wrote:Also, I was born without a heartbeat. I like to think this makes me a zombie.
Since you also wear glasses, technically you're a cyborg zombie! Please eat me last, cyborg zombie!
commissarchristoph

Post by commissarchristoph »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:
commissarchristoph wrote:Also, I was born without a heartbeat. I like to think this makes me a zombie.
Since you also wear glasses, technically you're a cyborg zombie! Please eat me last, cyborg zombie!
When the apocalypse comes, you will not be eaten.
DavisonInc

Post by DavisonInc »

Am I too late for the thread?

I have deafness in both ears, and a severe lack of muscle in my left arm and hand (entire limb is 90% numb). Both of those are caused by NF2, but I deal with it.

In my experience, the numbness allows me to type faster, and the deafness allows me to focus on my work. So there's always an upside to the downside if you look hard enough.
trhvmn

Post by trhvmn »

My left leg is a few centimeters shorter than my right. This is because of an infection that occured in my femur when I was 2, which prevented it from growing past a certain point. But I've done quite a bit of surgery, most notably to use the Illizarov apparatus, and as such the difference is pretty small now.
...there are a few things that I can't do, though. My left knee doesn't bend all the way due to the aforementioned surgery (I don't really know how this works), and can't open my left leg very much due to the femur head being a bit worn out. Therefore, things like kneeling and crouching down are a bit uncomfortable for me.
This is not too bothersome, though.

Now, this thread got me thinking. I wonder if there are more disabled people than I thought, but never noticed this because this is the internet, or it is the nature of KS that attracted such a fanbase? Because there are a few things in here that I never heard about, such as deafness in a single ear (possible pun certainly not intended).
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

You'd probably be surprised how many of the people you meet on the street are actually carrying a disabled ID-card.
Many of them are probably physically fitter than I am ;-)

Oh, in case someone misunderstands: I don't mean to imply that they shouldn't be entitled to that ID-card. Their conditions are probably limiting enough in their own way.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ShaDowPoWeR

Post by ShaDowPoWeR »

I don't know if it is considered a physical disability but I broke my left arm three times and the last time I broke it the bones "fused" wrong so I can't rotate very well my hand nor my arm.