Lilly's vs. Akira's accent?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Merlyn_LeRoy

Lilly's vs. Akira's accent?

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

TV tropes says Lilly's older sister Akira has a Kansai accent (indicated in the game by her manner of speech). So is there any explanation why only Akira has a Kansai accent?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Lilly's vs. Akira's accent?

Post by Aura »

I have like the hugest trollface on right now.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Well, as you probably already know, Kansai seems to be used a lot in Japanese media as kind of an all-purpose informal/"slangy" dialect regardless of where the character is actually from -- think of how a heavy New York or Boston accent sounds to English speakers and you'll get a good idea. Tokyo dialect (a.k.a. "official" Japanese), on the other hand, tends to sound more neutral and refined, again regardless of location. I remember hearing somewhere that the Haruhi series takes place in Kansai, but the characters still use Tokyo dialect just because they'd sound like a bunch of hoodlums otherwise.

There may also be a story-related reason for Akira's accent, of course, but hell if I know.
Aura wrote:I have like the hugest trollface on right now.
Watch out, it'll get stuck like that. :P
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

Really can't remember if it's canon or someone's explanation for her personality, but I think I read that Lilly went to an all-girls boarding school before Yamaku. Places like that tend to stress manners, etiquette and proper speech.

Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Yeah, I remembered Lilly went to an all-girls school, but I didn't think she'd lose her accent due to that. But if it was a kind of "ladies finishing school" that could explain it. If so, I'd like her to lapse back into Kansai-speak when she gets hot & heavy with Hisao...
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Ha ha ha oh wow.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:If so, I'd like her to lapse back into Kansai-speak when she gets hot & heavy with Hisao...
Golly gee, Hisao, you gots a tiny pecker, don'tcha? Don't worry; I'll treat it real nice and gentle-like. ;)
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:Golly gee, Hisao, you gots a tiny pecker, don'tcha? Don't worry; I'll treat it real nice and gentle-like. ;)
Heh, a Southern Belle image actually fits Lilly. Though kansai could also be translated into a Boston or Bronx accent, as mentioned earlier. I shudder to think about Lilly talking like that.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I fail to see how this merits any discussion.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Ozymil

Post by Ozymil »

Oooo, does that mean I can use Osaka's english dub as a point of reference for Akira?
Last edited by Ozymil on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donnes-moi le chocolat, Hisao! Gib mir die Schokolade, Hisao! Dame el chocolate, Hisao! Dammi il cioccolato, Hisao! Ge mig choklad, Hisao! Giv mig chokolade, Hisao! 私にチョコレートを与える, 久夫! Daj mi czekoladę, Hisao! Geef me de chocola, Hisao! (Thanks for the Dutch ver. Leotrak) Bigyan mo ako ng chocolate, Hisao! Geef mij de chocolade, Hisao! Дайте мне шоколад, Хисао! Dá-me o chocolate, Hisao!
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

HEY guess what, Lilly's adopted!

That's why she has a Western name and Akira doesn't!
DemonOfRandgris

Post by DemonOfRandgris »

Dude. Maybe Kenji wasn't too far off with the feminist conspiracy theories. This is deep.
G3n0c1de wrote:Harvey Dent is not moe.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

Caesius wrote:HEY guess what, Lilly's adopted!

That's why she has a Western name and Akira doesn't!
Nah her family is western but they just loved that movie Akira back when they had their first child. They couldn't think of a related name for Lily that didn't seem silly so they just went with a more normal name.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Wrench Wench wrote:Nah her family is western but they just loved that movie Akira back when they had their first child. They couldn't think of a related name for Lily that didn't seem silly so they just went with a more normal name.
Tetsuo...ko? Ara ara~
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

Csihar wrote:
Wrench Wench wrote:Nah her family is western but they just loved that movie Akira back when they had their first child. They couldn't think of a related name for Lily that didn't seem silly so they just went with a more normal name.
Tetsuo...ko? Ara ara~
They wanted some sons. But instead had Lily. They were most disappointed, hence why she was sent away to an all girls school.