If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Wrench Wench

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Wrench Wench »

Minister of Gloom wrote:oh. cool. Now you just need to find someone with a fetish for that and you are basically fixed for (a relatively long) life.
It's a wonderful world.
I didn't manage to get a boyfriend until a year ago. Shit sucked on that front for a long time. Fortunately he's not bothered by my size and loves my muscles. So these days shit is good.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Do you often bump your head on door thresholds?

Do people tend to immediately notice your height or do they only realize it when they get right up next to you and have to look up to see your chin?
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

Caesius wrote:Do you often bump your head on door thresholds?

Do people tend to immediately notice your height or do they only realize it when they get right up next to you and have to look up to see your chin?
Yeah I often end up hitting my head when just walking around so I have to pay attention or "thud"

People almost always notice the height if I'm standing near other people. One funny thing that often happens is if I'm with my boyfriend and someone approaches us from behind. They'll often think he's a girl and I'm a man.
kobe

Post by kobe »

Goddammit, I wanted to vote for low vision but firefox thinks I voted 'foot/leg amputated'
Must be because of all those add-onns I got running at the same time. LAG FTL
das bruce wrote:My mental image of you is now a ten foot tall, hammer weilding, scottish viking.
Someone draw Kenji as a viking, but with his signature bottle of liquor in his hands instead.

Looks to me as if most people here voted for low vision, I wonder if this is going to become the norm in a few decades. With more and more people getting a computer, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, I have this friend who is 16 years old. And he's legally blind. And I mean Kenji legally blind. He has really strong lenses though, so all is well for now.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

kobe wrote:Looks to me as if most people here voted for low vision, I wonder if this is going to become the norm in a few decades. With more and more people getting a computer, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, I have this friend who is 16 years old. And he's legally blind. And I mean Kenji legally blind. He has really strong lenses though, so all is well for now.
I think it's more those people now surviving to propagate, increased exposure to certain things (both light and chemical) and more people being diagnosed than ever before.
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

I'm autistic, which rather skews my senses. Sounds that no one else reacts to causes me pain, and my tactile abilities are so sensitive I can feel my pulse without using my fingers (fun parlor trick) and rub my throat raw from breathing (utterly sucky.) My balance and coordination also suffer, but the plus is that I'm very resistant to motion sickness. I also have disgraphia, which is arguably physical as it affects my ability to old a pen and write quickly, coherently and legibly. Plus I get seizures.
PiePersonOfDOOM

Post by PiePersonOfDOOM »

Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

Oh, and my doctor is still trying to find out exactly what it is, but my right eye doesn't work properly (apparently not a lazy eye) so my left eye is the eye I mainly look out of. I can switch my vision to my right eye (somewhat) without closing my left, but I can't force myself to see equally out of both. If I'm looking out of my left eye, I can VERY slightly see out of my right eye, but I can only get a general idea of what I'm seeing. I guess it's like a second peripheral vision.

Anyways, blank voted because my vision is fully correctable and none of this stuff has ever held me back. I just felt it was worth a mention.
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

PiePersonOfDOOM wrote:Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

Oh, and my doctor is still trying to find out exactly what it is, but my right eye doesn't work properly (apparently not a lazy eye) so my left eye is the eye I mainly look out of. I can switch my vision to my right eye (somewhat) without closing my left, but I can't force myself to see equally out of both. If I'm looking out of my left eye, I can VERY slightly see out of my right eye, but I can only get a general idea of what I'm seeing. I guess it's like a second peripheral vision.

Anyways, blank voted because my vision is fully correctable and none of this stuff has ever held me back. I just felt it was worth a mention.
I think my cousin has something like that. He can't focus his eyes very well. But in his case it's related to some kind of general muscle defect so... perhaps it isn't so similar.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
PiePersonOfDOOM

Post by PiePersonOfDOOM »

Minister of Gloom wrote:
PiePersonOfDOOM wrote:Nearsightedness, but it seems to be fully correctable. Other than that, my left pointer finger is shorter than my other fingers and slightly deformed at the tip. It's never held me back (in fact, I play StepMania with it, hehu), so whatever.

I think my cousin has something like that. He can't focus his eyes very well. But in his case it's related to some kind of general muscle defect so... perhaps it isn't so similar.
I had muscle surgery when I was five, but it didn't actually do anything. Maybe they thought it was what he had.
sonnysonny

Post by sonnysonny »

Does lung cancer count? I was declared "treated" last week. Now I'm missing half of my left lung :/
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

sonnysonny wrote:Does lung cancer count? I was declared "treated" last week. Now I'm missing half of my left lung :/
You... Had cancer? Holy fuck. I hope it didn't metastasise or anything :/

Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

one does not necessarily have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Smoku wrote:one does not necessarily have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.
But I want to know if he is a smoker, because smoking is a common cause of lung cancer.
sonnysonny

Post by sonnysonny »

Esa94 wrote:Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?
No. My parents and grandparents are though. I also do lots of spray painting without a mask, as well as sit around in gas masks with asbestos ridden filters in them.
Im in your house, kicking your ass.
DESU

Post by DESU »

sonnysonny wrote:
Esa94 wrote:Oh wait, lung cancer? Are you a smoker?
No. My parents and grandparents are though. I also do lots of spray painting without a mask, as well as sit around in gas masks with asbestos ridden filters in them.
well there's your problem. if you got lung cancer than I think a new gas mask or two is a good idea.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.