Hanako's disability is "cheap"?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Minister of Gloom

Re: Hanako's disability is "cheap"?

Post by Minister of Gloom »

neumanproductions wrote:For the argument of what her scars look like in comparison to real life I found a photo of a younger kid that has burn scars. I think these are the best resemblance I could find based on my interpretation. Along the lines of the shoulder and such is my best guess since it has been many years and the scars have grown with her body.
http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/picture ... nburn1.jpg
That's what I am talking about. The hamburger look. Well, I guess you are right about saying that it probably looks far worst to characters in the game world itself. Makes a lot of sense and everything. I also guess that for characters in the game world her hair is black and not purple. Art is wonderful like that.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

Member22 wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:Don't scars fade with time? And I don't mean fade away, but change color, or become (slightly) less pronounced?
They do, they undergo fibrosis over the long term i.e become more pale, but the scar tissue would be there.

If you want more info about burns, their long term effects and treatment of complications, visit: http://www.burnsurgery.com/Modules/Burn ... ect_IX.htm
Well this article clearly show that Hanako got lot of pain from her accident and the medical treatment, that indeed is not "cheap" or "pleasant".
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
Member22

Post by Member22 »

ElisaMasah wrote:Well this article clearly show that Hanako got lot of pain from her accident and the medical treatment, that indeed is not "cheap" or "pleasant".
Of course... I agree with that, but I was answering G3n0c1de's question about healing so yes, the short term effects are a big deal
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Minister of Gloom wrote:Isn't that the exact opposite of what you have been trying to say, though? I mean, Hanako looks like a normal kid but her disability is emotional/mental, no?
No. I have been saying that any normal kid would be as ashamed of their burn scars as Hanako is. Would you consider it abnormal for a high school kid to suffer from depression? Because that could be considered an emotional/mental disability as well, and aside from being shy/ashamed Hanako probably suffers from depression as well, which would be completely understandable.
guest too

Post by guest too »

Hanako's would be picked on by some of the students at a regular school,which brings up a question- why is Hanako at this school?
Is she there for treatment,ie skin grafts,nerve treatments and therapy? Will she be reconstructed?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Even disregarding her potential physical needs, she isn't mentally ready to go into the "outside world" where she will be stared at. She tries her best to be invisible; can you imagine the stress it would place on her to take away that invisibility? And I'm not talking about in a positive way like Hisao getting close to her.
Member22

Post by Member22 »

guest too wrote:Hanako's would be picked on by some of the students at a regular school,which brings up a question- why is Hanako at this school?
Is she there for treatment,ie skin grafts,nerve treatments and therapy? Will she be reconstructed?
Good question... the info in this thread might answer your questions http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2329
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

guest too wrote:Hanako's would be picked on by some of the students at a regular school,which brings up a question- why is Hanako at this school?
I suppose she went to Yamaku after the fire, and just kinda stuck there for some reason. Or something.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Esa94 wrote:I suppose she went to Yamaku after the fire, and just kinda stuck there for some reason. Or something.
actually, the fire happened when she was a child, and according to the scene where hanako, lilly, and hisao were having tea, hanako joined yamaku at the start of high school (if memory serves me correctly).

As for Hanako's disability, I don't think the scars themselves are a real problem, but it's more of her incredible shyness to the point of running away from human contact that's taking the greatest toll, in conjunction with the fact that people are bound to notice her scars while talking to her, which she is very sensitive about.

Not only that, but remember this: she went through grammar school with those scars, and you know what grammar kids are like, I bet they constantly made fun of her scars. That, in conjunction with the traumatic events of the fire and losing her father was what probably set her into a state of mind to isolate herself from people and what made her very sensitive about her scars.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
cemex

Post by cemex »

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that Hanako suffers from PTSD. This means that while her scars may be nothing major, her PTSD probably is.

If this is the case then she would need support and counselling to deal with it and Yamaku may be the best place to provide such support.

Get chance and luck
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

neumanproductions wrote:For the argument of what her scars look like in comparison to real life I found a photo of a younger kid that has burn scars. I think these are the best resemblance I could find based on my interpretation. Along the lines of the shoulder and such is my best guess since it has been many years and the scars have grown with her body.
http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/picture ... nburn1.jpg
That actually didn't look as bad as I'd expected it to. Then again, I've seen decapitations and advanced necrosis and my own intestines, so I guess it's all relative.
Caesius wrote:Even disregarding her potential physical needs, she isn't mentally ready to go into the "outside world" where she will be stared at. She tries her best to be invisible; can you imagine the stress it would place on her to take away that invisibility? And I'm not talking about in a positive way like Hisao getting close to her.
It's almost like she contracted environmental Autism combined with extreme agoraphobia.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

ContinualNaba wrote:It's almost like she contracted environmental Autism combined with extreme agoraphobia.
Well she doesn't look scared by open space as much there is no people around ... she can walk alone in silent wast open space with the sad music theme of Hulk ...
Demophobia sound just more right.
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Someone here mentioned that Hanako's percieved attractiveness is the result of anime magic and that reminded me of a cosplay I saw of Hanako on Shimmie. The girl cosplaying was quite cute yet all it took was some fake burns and suddenly she's not so cute, to say the least. As a cosplay it was wonderful, but if I didn't know who the character was my first reaction would probably be disgust, as cruel as it sounds. Obviously most people don't consciously discriminate against burn victims, but it's almost instinctive to focus on something on a human being that doesn't seem natural or normal (a sort of uncanny valley reaction?). Someone already mentioned Hanako's psychological problems are just as crippling, if not more so, then anything physical.

Personally, as far as disabilities go, isn't Emi's the cheapest? I know prosthetic legs aren't a cure all, but considering the girl has no problem mobility-wise (hell she's probably faster then most people with real legs), how exactly is she disabled? Lilly has trouble in settings she hasn't got memorized, Rin has trouble with shirts and pants, Shizune needs a translator in her daily life, Hisao has to worry about his heart constantly, and Hanako's anxiety issues are worsened by the attention her burns cause. Emi doesn't seem to have any psychological problems (if she does, they're probably not as bad as others) and the biggest issue she might have is that her fake legs are probably what people notice first. Even then, it's not something people HAVE to look directly at all the time, where as you can't NOT look at Hanako's face/scars when you're talking to her.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Member22

Post by Member22 »

CindehQ wrote:Personally, as far as disabilities go, isn't Emi's the cheapest? I know prosthetic legs aren't a cure all, but considering the girl has no problem mobility-wise (hell she's probably faster then most people with real legs), how exactly is she disabled? ... Emi doesn't seem to have any psychological problems (if she does, they're probably not as bad as others) and the biggest issue she might have is that her fake legs are probably what people notice first. Even then, it's not something people HAVE to look directly at all the time, where as you can't NOT look at Hanako's face/scars when you're talking to her.
Although Emi's problem seems to have been (almost) solved, I am sure that the mental/psychological trauma related to her accident is definitely there... lol I may be pushing my luck, but she might be more psychologically/mentally messed up than Hanako... but it is well hidden behind her passion for sports and her positive personality... I am sure you'll see more of this problem in Emi's path

I think that none of their disabilities are cheap... each girl has a disability with its own complement of physical, mental, psychological and social burdens... and what makes each girl unique is how she is affected by it and how she (ultimately) adapts to it, with or without Hisao.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Member22 wrote: Although Emi's problem seems to have been (almost) solved, I am sure that the mental/psychological trauma related to her accident is definitely there... lol I may be pushing my luck, but she might be more psychologically/mentally messed up than Hanako... but it is well hidden behind her passion for sports and her positive personality... I am sure you'll see more of this problem in Emi's path
I'll have to disagree with you on this. To me, Emi seems like the most 'normal' heroine of the bunch. She may be energetic, but she seems well grounded. Emi's accident would have been a traumatic experience, but I feel that she has coped well. As the only other heroine who was not born with their disability, Emi and Hanako draw a sort of spectrum of how they handled their situations. At one end, Hanako has withdrawn from society, becoming a fragile, shy, recluse. Emi is at the other end, she grabs ahold of life and doesn't look back. She lives life fast, and as full as she can. It's almost as if she took up running just to spite the fact that she lost her legs. Whether she gained her energetic and care free attitude as a result of the accident, or she recovered so well due to her personality being so positive before it, we will probably learn in the final game.

With Emi's problems taken care of, it seems that she enjoy's helping Rin with her day to day activities, and has taken an interest in Hisao's health. I'm not sure what The Hive Mind has in store for us, but I feel it will be centered around Emi helping Hisao with his health, and the depression caused by his condition.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.