Japanese invasion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ContinualNaba

Re: Japanese invasion

Post by ContinualNaba »

We could try to ask around the English thread of 2chan a bit, see if the knowledge of English has loosened up general GAIJINSMASH opinion.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Bara wrote:
PCJedi wrote:Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I think a decent percentage of the Japanese reactions are going to end up falling under the "Baka Gaijin" category. I'm not sure if that's because they internally scorn us for trying to imitate them, or if they're just ignorant of the quality of the game, or what, but that seems to be a fairly standard reaction of theirs with stuff like this. I've got to wonder how many of the people spouting those kind of reactions actually bothered to play the game though.

On another note though, I'm pleasantly surprised by the generally positive reactions from the rest of the Japanese community.
I wouldn't blame it all on Japanese society being insular. There were more than plenty of English speakers who were willing to vilify KS simply through 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand descriptions and didn't even bother to look at the website or download it; let alone playing the game. It'd be more accurate to point at human nature to be lazy and make assumptions. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in Japan who are like that too, but it's a world wide attribute.

To look for the silver lining; when Act 1 was first released some folks came to check it out because of the trashing some people gave it.
Of course, I'm aware it's worldwide. /jp/ had pretty much the same reaction of intolerance to the game, and a lot of civil problems like racism are fueled by issues like the ones we're talking about. I just wish more people would give things a chance before making harsh judgments, but sometimes it seems like we're too set in our ways to bother attempting to do so. But this thread wasn't supposed to be a discussion of society's problems, so I'm going to cut that stuff off here.

That all being said, I'll be interested on hearing what kind of response the full game gets, when that time comes.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

We're all geeks. We know what pre-emptive judgement is, correct?
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Still, there is Japanese language available, they shouldn't not know the quality of the game if they had played it.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Pimmy
~VIBRATIONS~

Post by Pimmy »

Warwick wrote:Response number 598, according to Google Translate:
In Japan, long time ago, Land Director
Grrl Power! The picture that Nagisa Miyazaki
Animation was created amputee orphan girl

Yes scatological depiction in deaf heroine in Osh
D :
Oh! They probably mentioned "grrl power" because there's a deaf girl in that. as for the scat thing, the girls are orphans and make compost for their garden out of well.. yeah.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Everytime Japan becomes the centre of attention, the topic always deviates to stuff like this. Should be an equation or addendum to Godwin's law.

Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

Bara wrote:
PCJedi wrote:Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I think a decent percentage of the Japanese reactions are going to end up falling under the "Baka Gaijin" category. I'm not sure if that's because they internally scorn us for trying to imitate them, or if they're just ignorant of the quality of the game, or what, but that seems to be a fairly standard reaction of theirs with stuff like this. I've got to wonder how many of the people spouting those kind of reactions actually bothered to play the game though.

On another note though, I'm pleasantly surprised by the generally positive reactions from the rest of the Japanese community.
I wouldn't blame it all on Japanese society being insular. There were more than plenty of English speakers who were willing to vilify KS simply through 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand descriptions and didn't even bother to look at the website or download it; let alone playing the game. It'd be more accurate to point at human nature to be lazy and make assumptions. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in Japan who are like that too, but it's a world wide attribute.

To look for the silver lining; when Act 1 was first released some folks came to check it out because of the trashing some people gave it.
guilty...when my friend first suggested this game to me a year ago i said "nah man thats gross, an h game with people with missing limbs?! what are you crazy?" now in my defence at that time he failed to mention anything about the story. usually regardless of what it is if there's a reasonably good story i would check it out. In anycase a month back i stumbled across Katawa Shoujo myself and fell in love with the game. i dont have anything against ppl with missing limbs but i still cringe a bit when i see Emi, Rin not so much.
~Hello there Kenji, I'm a psychic spy. But dont worry, I know what you're thinking. It wont hurt at all...~
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

"Kuttawa surprisingly interesting"
"A pretty picture is so beautiful"
"It's like a Clannad"
These are pretty good responces.
"SD I have something cute plump characters are awesome!"
CAN'T HAVE.
"Not bad in spite of foreigners ..."
Condescending mother...
Bara

Post by Bara »

Fronzel wrote:
"SD I have something cute plump characters are awesome!"
CAN'T HAVE.
Hmm, so is the chubby chaser only referring to Misha or all the girls? Or maybe they are talking about Kenji's plump fig leaf in the steamy shower scene with Hisao. :roll:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Those responses seem pretty... I don't know. I don't want to use harsh words. I don't like them. Some seem pretty retarded too. (but hey, humanity)
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Well, they are NEETs.

A Simple Fox

Post by A Simple Fox »

"Worse than RapeLay"
"It's like Clannad"
Well, that feels like they're going from one extreme to the other. I kinda half expected this, I got more or less the same reactions from both my American and Japanese friends.

I'm sorry to generalize, but it feels like the west see's KS as "4chan made it?" which is apparently carries the same negative stigma 2chan gives to "Gaijins made it?". Just a passing thought.
"A person who knows but a little will put on an air of knowledge. This is a matter of inexperience. When someone knows something well, it will not be seen in his manner. This person is genteel." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

A Simple Fox wrote:
"Worse than RapeLay"
"It's like Clannad"
Well, that feels like they're going from one extreme to the other. I kinda half expected this, I got more or less the same reactions from both my American and Japanese friends.

I'm sorry to generalize, but it feels like the west see's KS as "4chan made it?" which is apparently carries the same negative stigma 2chan gives to "Gaijins made it?". Just a passing thought.
I think of it like this

The ignorant see it as being made by 4chan and the Japanese response is that they just don't like foreigners treading on their hallowed visual novel ground or something?
Hanako Lover
DovK

Post by DovK »

Xybaro wrote: ...and the Japanese response is that they just don't like foreigners treading on their hallowed visual novel ground or something?
No, it's not that; they just feel embarrassed that a bunch of foreigners did so much better than most of their stuff. 8)
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

DovK wrote:they just feel embarrassed that a bunch of foreigners did so much better than most of their stuff. 8)
8)
this.