Gratz on ver. 3

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Falkentyne

Re: Gratz on ver. 3

Post by Falkentyne »

Csihar wrote:Okay, there is maybe one tiny thing that seems off about the new Emi sprites - her eyes. Her eyelashes, specifically. They seem kind of... sketchy, I guess, compared to the more solid black lines of the other girls'. It's not just me, right? Otherwise, though, she's looking quite smashing.
I'll agree with this - it''s most obvious when she's closer to the screen making a ^_^ face, like in "The Running Girl."
DovK

Post by DovK »

I've followed KS for a long while (I played V1 soon after release), but I just had to sign up to say the new version of Concord is far-and-away better than it ever had been, and it was an awesome piece to begin with. The new Emi is... phwoar, that's good, and the woodwind on the Student Council is magnificent.

The only issue I find is that damn school bell might need a nice -6dB adjustment, and when the only issue worth mentioning is a single sound effect's volume, well... it speaks to the quality of what you're making here. If this is anything like what the full game will be like, guys, you're on pace to make one of the all-time indie games -- and one of the best VNs the eyes of the world will ever be cast upon. I'm a bit biased though.
Bara

Post by Bara »

While I'm still ... err... savoring my new Emi sprites, I also have to say I really enjoy the new Yuko sprites. I think her hands in the library with Hisao and Lilly are almost as expressive as her face. They are very good at catching and showing her character.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Just got done playing around with the new release. Everything seems better in general than it was last time I played it (ver. 1). I especially liked the music changes, most of the modified songs sound even better than the originals were. But I have to agree with the general sentiment that some of Emi's new sprites look a bit off, mostly because of the eyes looking asymmetrical in some of them, as well as the previously mentioned sketchy eyelash issue. But from a general style standpoint, I think the new art fits the mood of the game better than the old stuff did, so kudos to the art team for that.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
elk9

Post by elk9 »

Emi looks lovely. The CG where you first meet her is absolutely captivating and I really enjoy looking at the sprite where she is seen from the side.
Yuuko looks definitely better than her previous appearance in act1, as some have expressed, she is more expressive with her body wich adds more credibility to her helpless personality. I must say she looks better in the waitress outfit.
By the way, I didn't really noticed they changed Lilly's eyes until somebody said it, I guess I'll check the previous sprite and see if the difference is really noticeable.
Oh, and good job with the improved music tracks, the student council track sounds a lot better; it gives a more elegant atmosphere now.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

right.... In progress list :

1) Download V3 and play
2) Dig a hole 6 feet down and set up so a pull of rope will fill it with earth
3) Wait
4) DL and play Full release
5) Jump into aforementioned hole and bury self
6) Die happy

Tombstone shall read :

GAME OVER

CONTINUE?
YES >NO
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Shizune's theme is kinda soft compared to the others, I have to tune up the volume and that doesn't sit well with the other musics.
EDIT: Shizune's tune need to be slightly louder, no changes needed, just louder. I have to change between volumes since I hold my ears very dear.

Second thing is that Emi's sprite still looks sketchy (Her torso (multi-line hands OO!!), her eyes, I would like to see a real-but-photoshopped prosthetic legs but that's just me. Only her hair and bottom seems fine). The picture where she bumped into Hisao gave me that feeling, 'Oh man she looks ugly', but just that one, her sprite is a.o.k.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

When one of y'all gets done with V3, could you upload the save files so myself and other lazy people don't have to go through the whole thing again to see CGs and listen to the music? I'm in the middle of P4 at the moment, which is practically a VN itself. I might go through V3 after I'm done with it; not sure if I want to read through Act 1 a second time when that'll just mean I'll have to read through it a third time when the full game is released though.

Then again, the alpha testers have probably had to read through Act 1 dozens of times; can't imagine how much they hate KS by now.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:When one of y'all gets done with V3, could you upload the save files so myself and other lazy people don't have to go through the whole thing again to see CGs and listen to the music? I'm in the middle of P4 at the moment, which is practically a VN itself. I might go through V3 after I'm done with it; not sure if I want to read through Act 1 a second time when that'll just mean I'll have to read through it a third time when the full game is released though.

Then again, the alpha testers have probably had to read through Act 1 dozens of times; can't imagine how much they hate KS by now.
Have I got a feature for you! It's called "skip unread text." ;)
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Jojje

Post by Jojje »

This has most likely been posted already... In Lunch Evolution Theory there's a small spelling error.
Socializing, gossiping, rearranging desks, the ones with actual boxed lunches mixed in and chattering like everyone else, only interrrupted by short bouts of eating.
"Yeah, I like doing it in a horizontal position more, if you know what I mean.
But it can't be helped, can't ask the wall to lay down."
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I think the devs want spelling and grammar corrections to go in the Act 1 feedback thread, since I'm fairly sure they watch that one closely.

(it's stickied at the top of the forum in case you missed it)
Jojje

Post by Jojje »

Caesius wrote:I think the devs want spelling and grammar corrections to go in the Act 1 feedback thread, since I'm fairly sure they watch that one closely.

(it's stickied at the top of the forum in case you missed it)
Good point, posted it there.
"Yeah, I like doing it in a horizontal position more, if you know what I mean.
But it can't be helped, can't ask the wall to lay down."
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Downloaded, played once, just to get the look of those new sprites and I noticed the same thing someone here did:
Sketchy eyes, or rather sketchy everything. Just check the roof scene, with Emi and Rin up close. It's almost a clash.

Now, I'm the last one to criticize devs, but comparing the same scene in the v2, you can see that while old Emi sprite was a bit off, it was more consistent with the rest, than the new one is, just due to its line-style. The same thing with Yuuko. Before at least the technical side of drawing was matching the rest.

And me, personally I don't like the sketchy-style lines. I would prefer, if some uniformization took place, that it would be cleaned, rather then the rest of sprites made more sketchy.
:idea:
Apart from the lines - bloody good work with those two sprites devs! Even Emi's prosthetics look more plausible now. And Yuuko's librarian looks...
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bara

Post by Bara »

NoOne3 wrote:Downloaded, played once, just to get the look of those new sprites and I noticed the same thing someone here did:
Sketchy eyes, or rather sketchy everything. Just check the roof scene, with Emi and Rin up close. It's almost a clash.

Now, I'm the last one to criticize devs, but comparing the same scene in the v2, you can see that while old Emi sprite was a bit off, it was more consistent with the rest, than the new one is, just due to its line-style. The same thing with Yuuko. Before at least the technical side of drawing was matching the rest.

And me, personally I don't like the sketchy-style lines. I would prefer, if some uniformization took place, that it would be cleaned, rather then the rest of sprites made more sketchy.
Hmmm, certainly the art style of the new sprites differs from the old and it is a tiny bit distracting. If this was in a commercial work I had shelled out $45 USD or more for I'd be tweaked as hell, but this only cost me the bandwidth and electricity for the download. KS is the exception to the rule in this world that you get what you pay for. We are getting (at a slow pace mind you) a Original English Language VN that is near commercial grade for no charge. I personally am willing to overlook slight discontinuities. I can also see where for some other people it is too jarring to their sense of esthetics.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

You know, cleaning up the lines around her eyes really wouldn't be difficult at all (see below, and know that my shoop skills are minimal at best). Hell, I'd offer to do it myself if none of the staff artists wanted to.
Attachments
emiclean.png
emiclean.png (423.24 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.