If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
22%

Total votes: 958

Scarlet Fox

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Minister of Gloom wrote:Apparently, as of a few days ago, I seem to have some sort of problem with a medical name in my right ear that I have never noticed before(if you ignore the constant high pitched buzzing sound that I was always sure everybody could hear).
So I guess I am joining your semi-crippled community. Lucky me.
Uh... My ears always make a high pitch noise (somewhat like some TVs make but a bit more subtle), and usually I can ignore it but sometimes at night if I realize the sound's there or think about it, it'll drive me nuts. Is my thing the same thing as yours? 'Cause I assumed it was pretty much the same for others, too.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Scarlet Fox wrote:
Minister of Gloom wrote:Apparently, as of a few days ago, I seem to have some sort of problem with a medical name in my right ear that I have never noticed before(if you ignore the constant high pitched buzzing sound that I was always sure everybody could hear).
So I guess I am joining your semi-crippled community. Lucky me.
Uh... My ears always make a high pitch noise (somewhat like some TVs make but a bit more subtle), and usually I can ignore it but sometimes at night if I realize the sound's there or think about it, it'll drive me nuts. Is my thing the same thing as yours? 'Cause I assumed it was pretty much the same for others, too.
The generic name for the condition you describe.

tinnitus

• noun Medicine ringing or buzzing in the ears.

— ORIGIN Latin, from tinnire ‘to ring, tinkle’.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Huh, so I guess I do have it. That's interesting, though I wear glasses too and the ringing's much less of a bother than they are to me. I wouldn't really call it a bother at all since I don't notice it like 95% of the time. Though others may have it more severely...

Great, I've been hearing it since I read this thread, though. It's giving me a headache! I'll go watch TV to get my mind off it. :)
Bara

Post by Bara »

Scarlet Fox wrote:Huh, so I guess I do have it. That's interesting, though I wear glasses too and the ringing's much less of a bother than they are to me. I wouldn't really call it a bother at all since I don't notice it like 95% of the time. Though others may have it more severely...

Great, I've been hearing it since I read this thread, though. It's giving me a headache! I'll go watch TV to get my mind off it. :)
In the meantime don't think about pink elephants... :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Superflamer99

Post by Superflamer99 »

I have a rather medium case of narcolepsy, I find myself tuning in and out of days for hours at a time. It's very difficult to fall asleep sometimes; my head feels slightly prickled or tingly all the time.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200) 40 57%
Quit being so blind, people.

OPEN YOUR EEEEEEYES, I SEEE... YOUR EYES ARE OPEN.
Superflamer99

Post by Superflamer99 »

Caesius wrote:

yeah...I was going to ask, how could legally blind or completely blind people even see the screen?
Escalator

Post by Escalator »

Superflamer99 wrote:
Caesius wrote:

yeah...I was going to ask, how could legally blind or completely blind people even see the screen?

AFAIK, some blind people have text-to-voice programs.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Superflamer99 wrote:
Caesius wrote:

I didn't include an option for completely blind people, actually. Just total blindness in one eye.

As for how people with low vision can see the screen, they can probably see it fine at close distances, but clarity deteriorates sharply as they move further away compared to a person with normal vision. Not sure if it's the same deal with legally blind people, but the 20/x measurement only accounts for objects viewed at a distance of 20 feet, not 2. Also, they can set text to be larger on a computer if they have to, and there are other tools for people who are visually impaired, usually under an "Ease of Access" or "Accessibility" menu.
Superflamer99

Post by Superflamer99 »

Ahhh, okay. Forgive me, I didn't read well enough apparently; it's 4am and I'm not in a good state to think :X
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

By the way, my vision is somewhere between 20/70 and 20/120 uncorrected and I don't need glasses to read the computer screen. Funny how that only just now occurred to me...
ZwaY

Post by ZwaY »

I don't know if it counts or not, but pretty much 80% of my right leg below the knee is metal/synthetics after a nasty car accident when I was 19. I also don't have use of my left pinkie (and only the pinkie, surprisingly) from the same accident. Otherwise, I'm fairly normal.
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

I have low vision. My real problems are my mental illnesses. Major depressive disorder, and Anxiety disorder I have been diagnosed with. I believe I may have a few others though.
Member22

Post by Member22 »

I also have low vision, my nearsightedness suddenly began when I was 12 and became worse over the years until about 2006, where my prescribed glasses were -3.5 (L) and -3.75 (R). Since then, I have used glasses of the same corrective power, also, I am obliged by law to drive wearing my glasses. But TBH, I am used to it by now and not bothered to go for the Laser eye treatment, one of my friends completely lost his vision in one of his eyes because of that.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

I have some nearsightedness, enough to need glasses, but I can still read some things from far away. Text on a computer is small enough where I need it, but I can read that from about 2 feet away. Again, not enough to be a serious problem; driving, for one, is fine.

My real disability, however, would definitely be my autism. I'm higher functioning, but I still have some issues associated with it. I have crappy fine motor control, so typing fast or writing coherently is difficult for me. I'm terrible with sarcasm and jokes, almost never 'getting' the source of the joke until it is explained, or if I know the concept behind the joke. Not a real problem, but something that comes up that is a minor nuisance. I also don't use much facial expressions when I talk (remember those "How are you feeling today?" posters?), usually only a happy, neutral, or angry face. On certain occasions, I may make the classic :3 face (Yay, Shizune!). With some practice in my theatre department and my forensics team, I've gotten better at that.