How well with KS stand up to the other great VN?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

How well with KS stand up to the other great VN?

Post by ubergeneral »

There are many good VN out there. Ranging from School days, to F/SN and Ever17. When this is all said and done how will KS be remembered? Will people think of it when VN are brought up? Or will it be mostly forgotten?
Csihar

Re: How well with KS stand up to the other great VN?

Post by Csihar »

I think between the concept, the unshakeable 4chan association, and the fact that it's both free and written in English, KS probably won't be forgotten anytime soon - not among people who are into VNs, anyway. That's not to say anything of the quality of the story, art, and music, either, which is easily higher than the majority of free VNs that I've seen out there, and even rivals some commercial ones. And that's just judging by act 1.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

It took my VN virginity, and will be my one and only forever. VN, that is.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

The quality of KS will be phenomenal. But I'm not sure it will have as big an audience as mainstream, commercial VNs. The very concept of this game turns off a lot of people, who will simply write this game off as sick, insensitive, or fetishistic. The game's shady origins may not help it outside of the anonymous crowd.

The only way that this game gets a large following is if the word is spread. Thanks to the accesibility of the internet, this isn't too hard. The articles on Fakku or Kotku also help, though it would help if they painted a more accurate picture of the game. If enough people learn about this game, and spread how good it is, then perhaps KS would remembered by many, rather than a few.

But this is not the point of the game. The devs could care less how many people like this game. Their only goal is to get it finished to a high standard. They won't go around peddling their creation. It will speak for itself.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

On a programming, scriptwriting or any other kind of professional artistry resume, it'd probably hold a fair bit of weight.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

To be honest, I think every aspect of this game will hold a card to many of the high profile commercial VNs.
1) For one thing its a longer VN being distibuted for free.
2) The creation of the VN was brought on by a highly poplar 4chan posting
3) The story itself packs a punch and can speak to truthfully anyone who doesn't immediatly turn it down as a game about cripples
4) The music and art are prime examples on what people can do when they set their minds to it.

Personally, I will always remember this game as being the one that truely got me going; since Shuffle! only, really inspired me to go looking after hearing the anime was based off VN. It also was the source of my first fanfic writing so I have a lot to be thankful to it for. :wink:
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

ContinualNaba wrote:On a programming, scriptwriting or any other kind of professional artistry resume, it'd probably hold a fair bit of weight.
Indeed, especially considering how long it's been in development. It's a shame that nobody will probably ever be able to use it as such.

Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

>VNs

>Great

Oh u.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Csihar wrote:
ContinualNaba wrote:On a programming, scriptwriting or any other kind of professional artistry resume, it'd probably hold a fair bit of weight.
Indeed, especially considering how long it's been in development. It's a shame that nobody will probably ever be able to use it as such.
Ah, don't say that! you just need to word it the right way.

'A 600,000 word title that utilizes professionally-composed musical pieces and lietmotifs whilst tastefully inserting appropriately styled artworks to enhance the story. Using a base plot for a 6-path story that is completely interactive by choices of the user to direct the narrative both in the preferred pace and direction, the theme continues on the powerful note of accepting of ones own faults and accepting, adapting to and moving beyond the same faults of others, be they friend, relative or romantic partner. Compelling devices take a familiar setting and alter it in ways that make oneself question the ethical workings of their own prejudice, patronization and condescending pity for those who have not been born with the same benefits as themselves.'

Now you see why I'm graduating with a Business Degree at year-end? Heh!
Captain Niggawatts wrote:>VNs

>Great

Oh u.
Don't judge by medium, judge by story. Twilight is a Long-running novel series that makes millions, but...

Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:>VNs

>Great

Oh u.
You've never read Narcissu? Captain, I am disappoint.

ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

i've never read it either. In one of my common points of hypocrisy, Katawa Shoujo is likely to be my only VN because the stigma against the medium in general prevents me from searching out the rest.

das bruce

Post by das bruce »

ContinualNaba wrote:It took my VN virginity, and will be my one and only forever. VN, that is.
This.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

ContinualNaba wrote:i've never read it either. In one of my common points of hypocrisy, Katawa Shoujo is likely to be my only VN because the stigma against the medium in general prevents me from searching out the rest.
It doesn't seem to really have much in common with most VNs besides the medium itself. There's no sex, or real love story, or even sprites for that matter. I'd recommend starting with the prequel Narcissu Side 2nd, which comes packaged with the original anyway.

VCR
lolbot

Post by VCR »

ContinualNaba wrote:i've never read it either. In one of my common points of hypocrisy, Katawa Shoujo is likely to be my only VN because the stigma against the medium in general prevents me from searching out the rest.
Off Topic
Well, that's understandable. Still, you'll miss out on some interesting stuff. As mentioned before, Narcissu is very good, and worksafe to boot (NOTE: If you plan on playing it, play Narcissu 2 first). Another solid VN is Symphonic Rain. I've only finished one route, but it's quite amusing, and once I finish with certain other obligations I'll play through it a few more times.
On topic: I think this'll hold up fine with other VNs, though despite what I mentioned earlier, I'd have to agree with Niggawatts sentiments.

EDIT: Blast, the rare time I make a forum post and I'm beaten to the punch. Oh well, it can't be helped.
[13:00:51] <buckingham> why do you have to shit on my parade delta-kun you baka >_<
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Csihar wrote:
It doesn't seem to really have much in common with most VNs besides the medium itself. There's no sex, or real love story, or even sprites for that matter. I'd recommend starting with the prequel Narcissu Side 2nd, which comes packaged with the original anyway.
Regardless, it is still a Visual Novel. The fact that it lacks gratuitous sex, fanservice (With the exception of stem cell research) or an overreliance on fancy flashing lights (Again, apart from the fireworks and tight shirts) is the reason why I decided to give it a chance in the first place. If I wanted cartoon nudity, I'd go to /d/ or whatever. It takes its story seriously, so far.

I'm torrenting Narcissu now. Not sure what to expect, but so long as it's good... heh, it's always a pleasure to lose your prejudices.
VCR wrote:
Off Topic
Well, that's understandable. Still, you'll miss out on some interesting stuff. As mentioned before, Narcissu is very good, and worksafe to boot (NOTE: If you plan on playing it, play Narcissu 2 first). Another solid VN is Symphonic Rain. I've only finished one route, but it's quite amusing, and once I finish with certain other obligations I'll play through it a few more times.
On topic: I think this'll hold up fine with other VNs, though despite what I mentioned earlier, I'd have to agree with Niggawatts sentiments.

EDIT: Blast, the rare time I make a forum post and I'm beaten to the punch. Oh well, it can't be helped.
I'll give Symphonic Rain a try after I've finished my assignments for the next week (One's a la-de-dah liberal paper, the other considerably more important), thanks for the recommendation.

Ha, don't worry about being prequoted. Remember, even the greatest skyscraper falls without support. Yours was a meaningful contribution regardless.