Inspired by the OC contest: Yamaku Student Generator

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Goldilurks

Inspired by the OC contest: Yamaku Student Generator

Post by Goldilurks »

I am curious to find out what happens to this contest. But in the meanwhile, giving y'all a very simple character generator for Yamaku students will have to do. Match a disability to a personality trait, choose a gender (yeah, y'all are all gonna generate chicks, I know), and brainstorm the other stuff like background and description.

DISABILITIES
  • Anhidrosis (inability to sweat), Shapiro Syndrome, or other thermoregulatory disorders. Note that an excuse to get out of clothes quickly may sound sexual until you realize watching someone scream about how they're burning up as they desperately try to get out of their clothes and under some cold water can be a real turnoff.
  • Congenital analgesia (insensitivity or indifference to pain). Subjects with this disorder will frequently have to check themselves for cuts, bruises, and injuries they failed to notice lest they aggravate the injury further and/or risk infection; they frequently suffer accidents that could have been prevented by basic pain reflexes (keep an eye on them when the Bunsen burners come out in 4th year chem).
  • One eye lost in an accident, because eyepatches are win. Scar tissue where you expect an eye to be can scare the shit out of some, though.
  • Serious injury to the collarbone, shoulders, and upper body from an accident. Our poor student requires a neck brace and cannot raise their shoulders at all; will most likely have their personal effects organizes so that they do not have to reach up for anything.
  • Infarction of the jaw muscles that affects speech and eating habits. The student may require assistance eating, prefer sign language to the spoken word, require a mask to keep the mouth shut and dry, or just have a permanent :9 expression. For those who don't watch enough House, an infarction is the equivalent of a heart attack for the other muscles of a body, where blood circulation is compromised and the surrounding tissue starts to die.
  • Infarction of the back muscles such that the student cannot stand upright on their own power, and must use a wheelchair to travel. Different from other conditions requiring a wheelchair in that the legs work fine; this student may perform regular physiotherapy or take up swimming as a hobby to keep their body in shape.
  • An accident requiring the amputation of one leg above the knee. Student uses a pair of crutches to travel.

PERSONALITY TRAITS
  • A character with an Otaku Surrogate personality. Make them really critical of visual novels for maximum irony.
  • A character who always speaks in flowery, poetic language. Yamaku has to have Poetry and Drama clubs.
  • A sarcastic cynic.
  • An exchange student whose Japanese could be a lot better.
  • A hopeless romantic.
  • A wannabe standup comedian who is always subjecting others to a barrade of horrid puns and cheesy jokes. As they warm up to a hypothetical protagonist, this student may try to brush them off with even sillier behaviour to hide insecurity about a relationship.
  • A quiet stoic who says little to nothing.
That's not much, but it's a start. If anyone else wants to suggests disabilities or personality traits, I'll edit them into this OP.
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
Sgt_Frog

Re: Inspired by the OC contest: Yamaku Student Generator

Post by Sgt_Frog »

I was actually writing this one fanfiction where Misha leaves Yamaku due to nobody actually knowing what her disability is. So now Shizune is alone and feeling kinda left out of everything. Then she meets Ayame, a girl with one of those artificial larynx things. Much like how people have shunned Hanako for how she looks, people have shunned Ayame and her odd, somewhat disjointed artificial voice. Not as shy as Hanako though. I just started writing the fanfiction, so the character traits haven't quite been finalized yet. Also, her name is just kinda random. I like how it sounds. It means "iris" in Japanese.

Also, a one-legged girl would be amazing (since Emi is one of the reasons I found this forum in the first place). What are you talking about? I don't have that kind of fetish! Don't be ridiculous!
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

What I had the hardest time with was coming up with a name. :?
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

kosherbacon wrote:What I had the hardest time with was coming up with a name. :?
I present thee the solution to such a problem:
http://www.behindthename.com/random/

That's what I used for my character in the contest (which I haven't finished) and various other projects that never saw the light of day.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Oh crap, a link to TvTropes. Say goodbye to the next 3 hours of your life.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Sgt_Frog wrote:Oh crap, a link to TvTropes. Say goodbye to the next 3 hours of your life.
A link? More like five!

Edit: Six, actually
DESU

Post by DESU »

I don't know abut this. i think the whole idea was to come up with a person by yourself, not to make one from a list.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

DESU wrote:I don't know abut this. i think the whole idea was to come up with a person by yourself, not to make one from a list.
I don't think this is supposed to be used for the contest :)
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

So...yeah. A toaster won the contest. If you're able to move about like The Brave Little Toaster, I'd assume being a household appliance isn't a disability.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Sgt_Frog wrote:So...yeah. A toaster won the contest. If you're able to move about like The Brave Little Toaster, I'd assume being a household appliance isn't a disability.
i think it was an april fools joke.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Sgt_Frog wrote:So...yeah. A toaster won the contest. If you're able to move about like The Brave Little Toaster, I'd assume being a household appliance isn't a disability.
lol, you really fell for it? xD
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Smoku wrote:
lol, you really fell for it? xD
Wha'choo talkin' 'bout!.... That toaster totally won the.... the thing! *hic*....
I ain't drunk!.....
and I didn't pee myself!
Random fan of the game who checks the forum at times

Post by Random fan of the game who checks the forum at times »

The idea of a student generator has actually occurred to me once. I am not a programmer, myself, but I thought the best way to do such a thing would be with some sort of randomly generated list of traits(gender, disability, hobby, a few pieces of personality, stuff like these). Those work wonder when you want to create a lot of interesting characters to populate, say, a school with.
The randomization is not required, of course. It just makes things a more interesting and helps you if you run out of ideas.
Do with this idea whatever you desire.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Random fan of the game who checks the forum at times wrote:The randomization is not required, of course. It just makes things a more interesting and helps you if you run out of ideas.
This. Such a generator gives you a list of random characteristics thrown together and nothing more. It's a good thing if you just want something to work with, but it's still a long way from there to an interesting character. If you imagine an interesting character as a body, then the generator would give you a suggestion for the skeleton.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Random fan of the game who checks the forum with alarming frequency as of late, maybe join

Post by Random fan of the game who checks the forum with alarming frequency as of late, maybe join »

That's exactly what I am talking about. A balance between surprising yourself with a cool writing challenge while still having more then enough freedom to work some soul into the character. Been doing it for ages with forum based role playing games. Sometimes it's more fun then the game itself!