Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

freischutz00

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by freischutz00 »

I'm running F@H on an Asus N70S laptop, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and an NVIDIA GT130M card. I would like to start using the GPU versions of F@H, but according to Speedfan running the GPU version raised the temperature of the GPU to 76 degrees Celsius. I know that in general the safe range for heat on the HDD or CPU is 60 degrees Celsius or below, but does anyone know what the safe range for GPUs are? It'd be nice to get the extra boost from the GPU but it wouldn't be worth wrecking it by overheating in the process. If it's not possible to use the GPU due to this, is running more than one execution of the CPU version a practical idea?
DESU

Post by DESU »

freischutz00 wrote:I'm running F@H on an Asus N70S laptop, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and an NVIDIA GT130M card. I would like to start using the GPU versions of F@H, but according to Speedfan running the GPU version raised the temperature of the GPU to 76 degrees Celsius. I know that in general the safe range for heat on the HDD or CPU is 60 degrees Celsius or below, but does anyone know what the safe range for GPUs are? It'd be nice to get the extra boost from the GPU but it wouldn't be worth wrecking it by overheating in the process. If it's not possible to use the GPU due to this, is running more than one execution of the CPU version a practical idea?
well, from what i understand, each instance of the cpu client uses one core, so you could run 2 instances and use both cores, but the gpu client is generally more efficient.

as for the gpu temp i believe there's an option to choke back the useage of the client so it isn't fully using the gpu so it doesn't run so hot, and see if you can adjust your fans for maximum cooling and don't block the vents.
Last edited by DESU on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

freischutz00 wrote:I'm running F@H on an Asus N70S laptop, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and an NVIDIA GT130M card. I would like to start using the GPU versions of F@H, but according to Speedfan running the GPU version raised the temperature of the GPU to 76 degrees Celsius. I know that in general the safe range for heat on the HDD or CPU is 60 degrees Celsius or below, but does anyone know what the safe range for GPUs are? It'd be nice to get the extra boost from the GPU but it wouldn't be worth wrecking it by overheating in the process. If it's not possible to use the GPU due to this, is running more than one execution of the CPU version a practical idea?
GPUs are designed to run hotter than the CPU. For reference, I'm running an SMP client and GPU client on my desktop. My CPU temp is 52C (cores at 72C) and my GPU is 82C.
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

For GPU's you generally don't have to worry until temps hit 85C+, although different models will each have their own "normal".

You shouldn't have to worry too much anyway, because if the CPU or GPU temp really get into the danger zone, the system will cut the power on its own. (~100C cutoff point for both normally)
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260
Seroanth-alt

Post by Seroanth-alt »

Running 1x GPU client, 2x CPU clients and 1x PS3.
I'll be leaving this on for 5 days straight. Cancer's no prob'.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

I'm sure some of you have already noticed, but we're poised to pass 4chan in the near future.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

I have started folding. I only have a laptop, though. I'll let in run tonight and see how much I can do.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Bara

Post by Bara »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:I'm sure some of you have already noticed, but we're poised to pass 4chan in the near future.
4 who? :mrgreen:

Actually, I find that sort of surprising. There are a lot of 4channers out there which equates to a lot of spare cycles but I guess Folding is a little too much dry science and not enough "lulz" to interest a large percentage of them. Not that Folding means anything special about the people who do it either, other than a willingness to run the program and pay the additional cost of the power used.

Heh, I just looked at the chart and they are over 1.2 million Work Units ahead of us. That is still a pretty significant amount.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Bara wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote:I'm sure some of you have already noticed, but we're poised to pass 4chan in the near future.

Actually, I find that sort of surprising. There are a lot of 4channers out there which equates to a lot of spare cycles but I guess Folding is a little too much dry science and not enough "lulz" to interest a large percentage of them. Not that Folding means anything special about the people who do it either, other than a willingness to run the program and pay the additional cost of the power used.

Heh, I just looked at the chart and they are over 1.2 million Work Units ahead of us. That is still a pretty significant amount.
I think it's more like, most people who use 4chan and would run Folding@home probably have a more personal group that they would rather the points go to.

Or else they didn't fill in a team.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Bara

Post by Bara »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:
Bara wrote:

I think it's more like, most people who use 4chan and would run Folding@home probably have a more personal group that they would rather the points go to.

Or else they didn't fill in a team.
You make it sound as if 4chan was their "Dirty Secret" or is otherwise unworthy. Sir, I am shocked; shocked I say! :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

Bara wrote: 4 who? :mrgreen:

I think it's more a matter of not announcing that the team exists. I was free to join this team because I had never heard of F@H prior to the first blog entry about KS's team. If Moot had stuck a banner or something up sometime in the past few years I would have joined 4chan's instead.

EDIT: Went and looked at their page, and it's estimated at 3.7 weeks.
cemex

Post by cemex »

Well, this seems like an interesting project so I've signed up. I'm running them on 2 CPUs and a GPU.

Trouble is, one of the CPUs is an atom

Get chance and luck
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

cemex wrote:Well, this seems like an interesting project so I've signed up. I'm running them on 2 CPUs and a GPU.

Honestly, any production is beneficial, even if your setup isn't entirely optimized. Getting even half of our inactives back could probably kick our team stats into the maroon range. And, you know, cure cancer and stuff.
cemex

Post by cemex »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:
cemex wrote:Well, this seems like an interesting project so I've signed up. I'm running them on 2 CPUs and a GPU.

Honestly, any production is beneficial, even if your setup isn't entirely optimized. Getting even half of our inactives back could probably kick our team stats into the maroon range. And, you know, cure cancer and stuff.
Well my setup is not as bad as it seems. While one CPU is an Atom, the others are a Core2 quad and a ATi 4650.

However, does anyone here have advice on how to create the optimal setup for two projects at a time. I'm also running ABC@Home and I get the feeling that my performance isn't as great as it could be

Get chance and luck
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

Run the latest SMP client plus the GPU client. You'll want to configure the SMP client so that it doesn't fight with ABC@Home for any of the cores. For example, if ABC@Home is using 1 core, you can set the SMP client to only use 3 cores.