Characters' musical tastes?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Smoku

Re: Characters' musical tastes?

Post by Smoku »

Caesius wrote:
This doesn't make sense. How can you decide whether or not you like a song before you listen to it? The lyrics tell you next to nothing, and a lot of songs have no lyrics at all.
I have to agree on that, even deaf people probably totally ignore lyrics and just keep on with the vibrations. Like we tend to keep to the music, not concerned about lyrics (at least the majority of us)
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Smoku wrote:
Caesius wrote:
This doesn't make sense. How can you decide whether or not you like a song before you listen to it? The lyrics tell you next to nothing, and a lot of songs have no lyrics at all.
I have to agree on that, even deaf people probably totally ignore lyrics and just keep on with the vibrations. Like we tend to keep to the music, not concerned about lyrics (at least the majority of us)
You're not understanding what I'm saying. Csihar gets it, I think. You can like poetry just by reading it in your head, you don't need musical instruments to go along with it and you don't need to hear it out loud by a person (though it does help). I'm not really talking about the beat or the rhythm here, just the lyrics. It's not a good overall picture of the song, of course, but I doubt just feeling the vibrations are either. Not all songs have worthless lyrics, and I guess I'm one of the rare type of people who are concerned about lyrics. I don't listen to songs with bad lyrics, only songs with good ones (I do like music with no vocals as well).

Sorry, I'm just bad at explaining things sometimes. :P
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Then it doesn't match this topic, if you make it this way. That would make literature, not music ;P
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

B-But it's still a part of the music! Gwaahhh :(
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Scarlet Fox wrote:B-But it's still a part of the music! Gwaahhh :(
But isn't language, in a way, music in itself? /ponder

Anyway, I wonder what kind of music Rin would be into in particular. Shoegaze and avant-garde arty shit are probably too obvious to be true. (And then I imagined her trying to put headphones on with her feet and HNNNNGGG)
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Csihar wrote:Anyway, I wonder what kind of music Rin would be into in particular. Shoegaze and avant-garde arty shit are probably too obvious to be true.
I don't care too much for Rin's theme song, so during her scenes I just played something else in Winamp. What was I hopelessly into at the time?

...Shoegaze.

It was meant to be.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I can't help but think that Rin would like IDM.

I hate IDM.
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Caesius wrote:I can't help but think that Rin would like IDM.

I hate IDM.
What's IDM?.....
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

-abscess wrote:
Caesius wrote:I can't help but think that Rin would like IDM.

I hate IDM.
What's IDM?.....
"Intelligent Dance Music." It's kind of a catch-all term for quite a wide range of electronic music styles. Ever watch MTV's "AMP" back in the early 2000s? A lot of that would be considered IDM. I guess the most well known artists would be uh... Fluke and Aphex Twin. There's probably an assload more than that but those're what come to mind.

Don'tcha love pretentious genre names? I call just about everything "Techno"
Last edited by kosherbacon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

If you ever played GTAIV, "The Journey" is essentially the IDM station.

When I first played it, I listened to the station for a while, thinking it would be electronica. I was right, but I was also wrong. It's like... How can people listen to that for more than 5 minutes?

Rin probably could, though. But she isn't people.

Edit: Also, I think Kenji would probably like LCHC as opposed to classic/prog metal. (I hate extreme metal.)

No idea what if any other stations could be specifically associated with any of the other characters so I'm not going to try, but I'm sure everyone likes LRR. Anyone who doesn't like LRR is a faggot, even if they're a girl.
G0t0

Post by G0t0 »

I'm disappointed in your guy's choices for Punk rock. Come on you could have mentioned Black Flag, Reagan Youth, Bad Brains, the Descendents, Crass, heck even the Clash. :(

Also Rin seems like she would listen to Free Jazz or Math Rock, not that Shoegaze doesn't represent her perfectly. It's just that her thoughts are all over the place much like the notes in Free Jazz or the rhythmic structure of Math Rock.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

G0t0 wrote:Free Jazz ... Math Rock.
Now I feel like the guy who asked what IDM is. (edit: aka abscess)

"Is it a band, or a genre, I wonder?"
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:
G0t0 wrote:Free Jazz ... Math Rock.
Now I feel like the guy who asked what IDM is. (edit: aka abscess)

"Is it a band, or a genre, I wonder?"
Free jazz is basically jazz where literally everything is improvised, and math rock is usually defined by the use of non-standard and shifting time signatures. Either will break your brain if you try to think about them too hard.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

-abscess

Post by -abscess »

I've listened to free jazz, and I personally am not into it (preffer old blues almost any day), but I have to agree with G0, the concept of creating something without thinking too much about it seems to fit Rin like a glove. A bit like freestyle rap, except that freestyling is pretty much stroking your dick and trashtalk someone else...
Caesius wrote:Now I feel like the guy who asked what IDM is. (edit: aka abscess)
Hey, techno isn't something I listen to normally. The most techno I've listened this past month is 8bit music.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Did somebody ask for a punk rawker Emi?
Here it is!
kinda...
I want to put at least another of the characters into the picture (that and I haven't chosen a song yet), but this may serve as a teaser. Hope ya peeps like it ;)
Attachments
Sample - Don't shimmie plz thx
Sample - Don't shimmie plz thx
P-Rawk!-Res.png (39.99 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Siiiiigh....