So, that new Yuuko.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Yubiseiharukana

Re: So, that new Yuuko.

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

digiboy0001 wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know all that. I'm not trying to raise an argument; I like the new Yuuko better than the old one, too. I'm just saying, for those of us who are used to the old Yuuko (so, basically, everyone here), such a drastic change is jarring, to say the least, whether you like the change or not.
Okay, I understand where you're coming from now. I agree, I was a bit confused at first.
digiboy0001 wrote:Not to mention all the points you raised are completely inane, anyway, so...nyah.
I was suggesting that the devs were doing things that a new TV series may do, but because I misunderstood your argument, my points are invalid :cry:
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
digiboy0001

Post by digiboy0001 »

Yubiseiharukana wrote:
digiboy0001 wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know all that. I'm not trying to raise an argument; I like the new Yuuko better than the old one, too. I'm just saying, for those of us who are used to the old Yuuko (so, basically, everyone here), such a drastic change is jarring, to say the least, whether you like the change or not.
Okay, I understand where you're coming from now. I agree, I was a bit confused at first.
digiboy0001 wrote:Not to mention all the points you raised are completely inane, anyway, so...nyah.
I was suggesting that the devs were doing things that a new TV series may do, but because I misunderstood your argument, my points are invalid :cry:
Haha. :D
"A lot of people don't seem to know what they're talking about. That sucks." - VegettoEX
Endeavoring to beat every game I own in chronological order. Current game: Digimon World 2 (7/27/2000, PlayStation)
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Now this is a sprite re-do that I can get behind.

Unlike the Emi re-design, I prefer this version to the old, nice one.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

Zahlman wrote:
Fronzel wrote:What's with the huge boobs and the line of lace that emphasizes them so?
Everyone else had big boobs compared to what you might expect for something set in Japan (even "teh loli" Emi is half-decently un-flat), so... :/
But Nuuko's boobs really stick out. The design of the clothes and the way she's holding her hands really emphasize them. Strikes me as kinda weird, given that she doesn't have a path, and that even if she did, this game doesn't seem as sexually focused as try to present a character as "the one with big boobs", even Shizune.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Fronzel wrote:But Nuuko's boobs really stick out. The design of the clothes and the way she's holding her hands really emphasize them. Strikes me as kinda weird, given that she doesn't have a path, and that even if she did, this game doesn't seem as sexually focused as try to present a character as "the one with big boobs", even Shizune.
It could just be that particular pose, too. For example, Misha's boobs look pretty big when she crosses her arms, but normal otherwise.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

TemporaryFile7

Post by TemporaryFile7 »

I am withholding judgment until I see some more sprites, the ones they have shown us now only show off a little bit of Yuuko-ness, but some of the other sprites may give off the right feeling.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

Xuan wrote:Currently the one that needs some serious upgrade is Rin. Reading back the visual novel, I couldn't shake off the feeling that Rin is too plain, too simple.
NO.

She's perfect as is. Always will.
Moekki
Artist

Post by Moekki »

if you look carefully at the concept art on the act 1 title screen, you'll see yuuko was intended to have her current hairstyle in alot of the early concept art.
also, we're not going to be "upgrading" rin or any of the other heriones, so don't worry. redrawing sprites leads to a cycle of endless development.
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

Mikage-sama wrote:
Xuan wrote:Currently the one that needs some serious upgrade is Rin. Reading back the visual novel, I couldn't shake off the feeling that Rin is too plain, too simple.
NO.

Actually, Hisao's internal monologue describes her as kind of plain and boyish (except for those mysterious deep green eyes), so I agree that she doesn't need to be fancied up. If anything, make her less stunning. :P
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
Yo-yo

Post by Yo-yo »

I'm assuming that they'll change the dialogue a bit.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

moekki wrote:if you look carefully at the concept art on the act 1 title screen, you'll see yuuko was intended to have her current hairstyle in alot of the early concept art.
also, we're not going to be "upgrading" rin or any of the other heriones, so don't worry. redrawing sprites leads to a cycle of endless development.
I'm glad but it is true that the new sprites don't really fit. I think it'd be pointless to ask and so on but I am really curious as to what you guys intended by "upgrading" them.
Goldilurks wrote:
Mikage-sama wrote:
NO.

Actually, Hisao's internal monologue describes her as kind of plain and boyish (except for those mysterious deep green eyes), so I agree that she doesn't need to be fancied up. If anything, make her less stunning. :P
Is that even possible? :P
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Mikage-sama wrote:I'm glad but it is true that the new sprites don't really fit. I think it'd be pointless to ask and so on but I am really curious as to what you guys intended by "upgrading" them.
It's worth pointing out that the old Emi and Yuuko sprites fit with the rest of the cast even less than the new ones do, stylistically speaking. It's just easier to miss because we're used to them already.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Sleet

Post by Sleet »

I agree. Just going by the new Yuuko and Emi alone, the new sprites are seeming extra sketch-y, as well as slightly more realism; less of the stylized KS character design. I like the new Emi more, and the new Yuuko's pretty cute, too, but both seem kind of out of place now, among the other sprites.

Unless they all get a revamp, some polishing might be necessary to make them harmonize with everything else. I kinda like the soft, less realistic style of v1's sprites, so I'm hoping those don't get changed much.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Welcome back, Sleet. Been a couple months. Care to explain how lack of ironing = realism and consistent arm lengths =/= realism? I'm still not getting this.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

moekki wrote:if you look carefully at the concept art on the act 1 title screen, you'll see yuuko was intended to have her current hairstyle in alot of the early concept art.
That ... actually a tad worrying. While most of the sprites are fine as they are, there are some problem cases still. Namely, Lilly's hand when she puts it to her mouth and Hanako's disproportionately thin arms.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey