Estimated length

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Estimated length

Post by Guest »

I'm not entirely sure there isn't already a thread asking this, but if there is I was unable to find it. I know were not supposed to nag about when the game comes out, but is it okay to ask you guys the length of the finished version compared to the demo? will it be twice as long, three time as long, or barely any longer than the demo? I'm just kind of curious how much content will be in the final version.
Yo-yo

Re: Estimated length

Post by Yo-yo »

I remember reading on their blog that the finished product will be about four times longer than the demo. I also read somewhere that depending on which path you choose, you'll have either four or five total acts, including act one of the demo. Sorry I can't give a link to either of these pages, it's late and I'm lazy.

Post by Guest »

Thanks! I'll look for the blog post myself.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Also, from what I remember reading, it seems like each of the paths will be four-ish times longer than Act 1. If you're like me and plan on going down all five paths, as well as getting all the endings (around 2-3 per character) and seeing all of the different scenes that you may have missed... well, you're looking at a pretty respectably long game.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 401#p21343
Fate/Stay Night: ~800,000 words
Clannad: ~600,000 words
KS: ~600,000 words
For context, Act 1 was roughly 100,000 words.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Suriko wrote:http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 401#p21343
For even more context, the last three Harry Potter books combined are 624,195 words.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Member22

Post by Member22 »

So how does the final version of KS compare to Ever17's word count?
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

ASK AGAIN WHEN IT EXISTS
HeMeido

Post by HeMeido »

delta wrote:ASK AGAIN WHEN IT EXISTS
Is it weird that I tacked that onto Ever17 and not KS?
Aelit13

Post by Aelit13 »

No way Clannad was 600.000 words. It has 200.000 lines, and at an average of 8.5 words per line, it's like a milion and a half words... I remember it being the longest visual novel when it came out.

But still, it's really impressive to even aim to get close to 500.000 words... It'll probably be one of the longest non-commercial VNs out there. Just thinking about the amount of time you must spend working on this makes me get a headache... :D But anyways, good luck making the game.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Aelit13 wrote:
No way Clannad was 600.000 words. It has 200.000 lines, and at an average of 8.5 words per line, it's like a milion and a half words... I remember it being the longest visual novel when it came out.

But still, it's really impressive to even aim to get close to 500.000 words... It'll probably be one of the longest non-commercial VNs out there. Just thinking about the amount of time you must spend working on this makes me get a headache... :D But anyways, good luck making the game.
Closest I can find to a rigorous wordcount for Clannad is here, which estimates around 100,000 lines. The first post on the next page gives a rough wordcount of 700,000.

The figures I used are from a /jp/ thread about popular VN wordcounts, which worked off the filesize of script files.

Edit:
Ren'Py 6.10.2e lint report, generated at: Sun Mar 21 23:23:38 2010
Statistics:
The game contains 36756 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 484303 words,
for an average of 13.2 words per screen.
As you can see, KS's overall wordcount still can vary quite a bit as stuff gets done.
Spectator

Post by Spectator »

Can the devs please confirm that delta is Samuel L. Jackson?
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Spectator wrote:
Can the devs please confirm that delta is Samuel L. Jackson?
He has motherfucking snakes in his motherfucking plane?
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Well, when I recently asked of the KatawaShoujo, I don't know who runs under that name, on the blog I was confirmed that there will be 4 acts in total for all of the main characters.
My speculation involves:
Act 1 = picking the path to follow
Act 2 = getting to know them better
Act 3 = Learning about how their disability has hindered them or came to be
Act 4 = H-scenes and final confession

I think that is pretty sound reasoning from what I have found thus far and what I see from your wordcount estimates Suriko, is that one of these acts might be highly centered around text; probably #2 with #3 being somewhat short or more event based.
Sorry, if this isn't the correct thread for this but I thought I would put it out there.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

neumanproductions wrote:Well, when I recently asked of the KatawaShoujo, I don't know who runs under that name, on the blog I was confirmed that there will be 4 acts in total for all of the main characters.
My speculation involves:
Act 1 = picking the path to follow
Act 2 = getting to know them better
Act 3 = Learning about how their disability has hindered them or came to be
Act 4 = H-scenes and final confession

I think that is pretty sound reasoning from what I have found thus far and what I see from your wordcount estimates Suriko, is that one of these acts might be highly centered around text; probably #2 with #3 being somewhat short or more event based.
Sorry, if this isn't the correct thread for this but I thought I would put it out there.
>3 acts before any H-scenes

Yeah, I don't see that happening in an H-game.

>3 acts before a confession

Hahaha, no. This isn't "Generic Shoujo Romance", bro.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts