Disabled game heroes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Anon

Re: Disabled game heroes

Post by Anon »

Edward Elric and people from Rush Valley have prosthetics. Badass mechanical crush-them-diamonds prosthetics, but still.
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Baiken from Guilty Gear. She's missing an arm and an eye. Of course, her arm has since been replaced with a grappling hook/generic amorphous utility weapon thing, so...

Post by Guest »

Not a video game, but Max from Mad Max walked with a limp because of a leg injury. I think he got it during the movie, I forget.
yovidal4

Post by yovidal4 »

Guts the main character of th manga berserk made by kentaru miura and already have 2 videogames 1 for dreamcast and another for ps2 (this one only in japan)

he lost the right eye and left arm and have a artificial with a cannon inside
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Not quite a hero per se, but the protagonist's younger brother Doned in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was in a wheelchair for some reason that I don't think was ever quite explained, except that he was "sick." When they get transported to FinalFantasyLand through a magical book (not the greatest story ever, but hey) he isn't disabled anymore, and ends up becoming The Rival for part of the game in an effort to keep his brother from finding a way back to the real world. Because, you know, without wheelchair is better than with wheelchair.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Captain Hook in Peter Pan is disabled!

I'm sure there was a game.
Hmm, you can kick his ass in Kingdom Hearts, I guess.
yovidal4

Post by yovidal4 »

vincent valentine of FF7

Ehrgeiz have 2

Ken "Godhand" Mishima 1 arm

Han Daehan 1 leg
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

Csihar wrote:Not quite a hero per se, but the protagonist's younger brother Doned in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was in a wheelchair for some reason that I don't think was ever quite explained, except that he was "sick." When they get transported to FinalFantasyLand through a magical book (not the greatest story ever, but hey) he isn't disabled anymore, and ends up becoming The Rival for part of the game in an effort to keep his brother from finding a way back to the real world. Because, you know, without wheelchair is better than with wheelchair.
"I can walk!"

"FUCK THAT YOU'RE GOING HOME."
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

What about Geordi LaForge from Star Trek TNG (which I assume has been made into at least one game at some point)?
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

DESU

Post by DESU »

Csihar wrote:What about Geordi LaForge from Star Trek
dammit, should have remembered him with my dad being a star trek fan and all.

also you mentioning that reminded me of this pic.
yes, i know lilly's name is misspelled in the filename, i just never renamed it after saving it
yes, i know lilly's name is misspelled in the filename, i just never renamed it after saving it
Lily Satou with Geordi La Forge.jpg (231.76 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

As a bonus, that character was inspired by and named after a quadriplegic Star Trek fan.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

It really tells much about contemporary gaming industry, and by some analogy to popular culture as a whole. The only found main game character, that doesn't have it's disability turned into some wicked, laser-firing grapling-hook advantage, is Snake, who really only get's it's peripheral vision somewhat obscured from one side, and only in "first person wiev", which is not even the main wiev mode in this game.
And, to think of it, the last notable movie/tv character I can remember, who is disabled is Mike, from Twin Peaks. There is of course Ash, and "one legged stripper" from Planet Terror and then there is Zatoichi, with it's american spin-off, played by Rutger Hauer, but I don't think that really counts. Disability not turned into a superpower is a rare thing, not only in video games.

So, willingly, or not (or at least not as purpousfully, some might say) the developers are making a good thing to change it.

PS. I can't remember a disabled characters in a book either, since the only one I recall was a deaf-mute illusionist mage, from a fantasy novel I once read, and still he could "borrow" someone else's (for example, his pet dragon's) hearing sense through telepathy.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

Sometimes my speakers screw up when I'm playing a game. Does that count as the main character having temporary hearing loss syndrome? I mean, that sounds plausible, right? :roll:

Though Raiden from MGS4 (already mentioned) makes me think of how Rin would be if she was a ninja... Fighting genetic super-soldier women in suits with your sword held in your feet and your mouth!
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Oh, that reminds me.
I was wondering once, on some Half-Life forum whether it is possible for Gordon Freeman, to be mute. All conversations in the game seems to be a bit one sided :P
Which leads to another: Alex's father, introduced in HL2 is somewhat hindered due to having a prostetic leg, quite similar to those Emi has (in act 1 at least). He is only a secondary nonplayable character, but at least he's not packing a jetpack, or a gatling gun in his peg-leg.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Disabled game heroes. This guy is one.