Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Wreckusu

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Wreckusu »

EternalLurker wrote: Eadwacer: The final decisions that get you stuck on each respective route come fairly late in Act 1. If Hisao's personality were to be molded too early by interactions with a given girl, that would be...awkward, to say the least. For example, it's quite easy to be following, well, any girl and suddenly end up on the Emi route by deciding to "Go For It!", and Lilly's route doesn't split off from Hanako's until the very end.
Yeah "Go for it" pretty much sets Emi's path in stone. At that point you've already taken one Emi choice to even get to exercise so by pushing yourself it seals the deal. The only way out of it is by having started down Shizunes path earlier. If you do you actually get a cut and dry choice between the girls, similar to Hanako and Lillys choice near the end. Lunch with Emi you get Emi's ending, lunch with Shizune and she's who'll you'll end with. Those two decision points are the most clear cut choices in the game. Hanako and Lillys one especially as you can actually do Emi or Shizunes path without encountering the lunch decision.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

I was lucky enough to find this game while browsing through the "Freeware Games" section under the TV Tropes website. When I read through the article I thought it sounded pretty interesting and original, but I didn't bother downloading it.
However, this Monday I was sick and didn't really feel like doing much, so I thought "What the heck, I'll give it a shot." and downloaded it to my laptop. And I'm glad I did. 100%-ed it in one day and wrote a review for my Facebook notes the same day.

The characters are very well designed, the concept is original, the artwork is great, the music is just awesome, and the writing is great. It's a nice game to kill time with when you just feel like relaxing. I love the respect that you guys treated the characters with, and just how strong they are to get through life with their disabilities. I also like the character development as you go down the routes. I went into this game thinking that the only character I would like all that much would be Hanako, but as I went down each character's paths, I began to really like all of them, Shizune in particular. Even Rin, who I didn't really like all that much at first, really grew on me when I went down her route. The Kenji/bad ending was good too, mostly because I thought that I would have probably done the same thing. Well, except for the whole falling off the roof part. I would've just pushed him away rather than back up, but that's what alcohol will do to your brain.
The artwork is great too. I really love those...CG scenes, I think you call them? The static ones like at the teahouse with Shizune/Misha, or the one in the tea room at the school with Lily and Hanako.
Also, thank GOD for the skip feature! I hate reading over stuff I've already read in games, and I really appreciate how it stops at any unread dialogue, so I know exactly what changes as I make different decisions.

That said, there are a few things that bug me. It seems way too easy to end up closing off certain routes or getting the bad end. I went through the game using both the flow-chart and walkthrough, and just looking at the chart, it seems way too easy to screw up, not just in getting the bad end, but in closing off other routes. Also, getting Rin without using the guide seems like it would have been hard, I would have expected that shying away from the other girls would be a good way to get a bad ending. Also, I feel kinda bad whenever I had to either piss off Lily or Shizune during their "duel". Kinda makes ya wish for a middle option.

Also, and please don't take this personally, but I felt that Shizune's route (the entire thing, not just the ending) felt more fulfilling that the others. It felt like it had the most scenes in it, and it really felt more personal toward Shizune herself, whereas in Lily's, Hanako's, and Emi's paths you spend most of the time with another one of the girls (Not counting Misha, she's kinda required). Her ending also felt a little better to me, but that's just my opinion, I thought all the endings were done pretty well, I just liked Shizune's the best.

Finally, I'm kinda worried as to how the H-scenes are gonna work out. My immediate thought was "How is Hisao's heart gonna handle that much activity?". I just feel like, seeing these girls during the demo, I just can't imagine seeing them in H-scenes down the line. I also just can't really see some of the girls, Hanako in particular, even really wanting to have sex. However, you guys say that they will be done well, so I'll trust ya. I really appreciate that you guys will have the option to skip them as well.

So overall, I loved this game. I especially liked the personality of the girls and how each of them have coped with their disability. Unfortunately, the speed with I finished the demo has left me craving for more. It's a real shame you guys haven't released any additional demos, but I'll shut up now, because I know ya'll hate it when people ask about that. At least all of the (hopefully) great game releases this year, as well as the blooper thread, will keep me busy until the full game comes out.

Thanks again guys!
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

The thing about closing off other paths, well, that is kind of the point of act I. You are supposed to come out of it locked into one girl's path, so the others get systematically eliminated as you make your choices. I suppose it would be kind of interesting to be able to jump paths if you do a lot of things, but this isn't that kind of game, and there would be a lot more work involved in that kind of story.

But yeah, welcome to the fold.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

G3n0c1de wrote:The thing about closing off other paths, well, that is kind of the point of act I. You are supposed to come out of it locked into one girl's path, so the others get systematically eliminated as you make your choices. I suppose it would be kind of interesting to be able to jump paths if you do a lot of things, but this isn't that kind of game, and there would be a lot more work involved in that kind of story.

But yeah, welcome to the fold.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I meant more that it just seems too easy to close off certain routes by accident. The infamous track scene comes to mind.

By the way, I played through Shizune's route again tonight just for the heck of it, and two things have been on my mind.

First of all, what's with Shizune and Misha being perfectly able to just walk into the boy's dorm any time they want? I've never been to a boarding school myself, so I'm not real keen on rules about that stuff, but I would think that they wouldn't be able to do that. That's not even including them going into Hisao's room either. The only reason I think of that they could do that is BSing their way through saying they're on "official Student Council business" or something to that effect.

Secondly, I'm wondering if we will see any of the characters in casual clothes. It could just be because I've got Persona on the mind, but I would think that the students would change out of their uniforms on a Sunday. I can't really apply it to the demo because they did have the festival, so I guess they would wear their uniforms to that. Still, I go to a private school that does require uniforms, and I can tell you that me and about 99.9% of the students there take every opportunity to get out of our uniforms (even to the point of paying to get free dress).
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Extremist_Line wrote:what's with Shizune and Misha being perfectly able to just walk into the boy's dorm any time they want?
They're Shizune and Misha, it's what they do.
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

All the heroines, and Hisao, wear more than just the clothes they wore in act 1.

I won't go into specific numbers or name outfits though.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Suriko wrote:All the heroines, and Hisao, wear more than just the clothes they wore in act 1.

I won't go into specific numbers or name outfits though.
Cool, I look forward to the eye candy.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Extremist_Line wrote:First of all, what's with Shizune and Misha being perfectly able to just walk into the boy's dorm any time they want?
This has been mentioned before.
Suriko wrote:10:30 curfew, teachers patrol between dorms afterwards.
Other than that, both genders are allowed in eachother's dorms.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

thinking about it, it kinda makes sense that Yamaku wouldn't have the same restrictions on dorm-gender stuff that most schools would. people at Yamaku might need special help, and if they can't get that special help from someone of the same gender, the school's not going to say "Wow, guess it sucks to be you." :mrgreen: at the moment I can't think of any help that'd be so damn specific that there'd be only one person who could provide it, but that's what I get for trying to think early on a Saturday.

also, I can totally see Shizune and Misha prancing into the boys' dorm with Misha saying "Official student council business!!" loudly to anyone who tries to stop them.

also also: DIFFERENT OUTFITS, FUCK YEAH.

that is all.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

Mercutio wrote:thinking about it, it kinda makes sense that Yamaku wouldn't have the same restrictions on dorm-gender stuff that most schools would. people at Yamaku might need special help, and if they can't get that special help from someone of the same gender, the school's not going to say "Wow, guess it sucks to be you."
Huh, that's a good point, I never thought about it that way.
also also: DIFFERENT OUTFITS, FUCK YEAH.
Seconded
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

If you think in real life, you don't randomly jump conversations between strangers, once you get close enough to call a person your friend you tend to stick more to them. Plus, this is Yamaku, and Hisao simply isn't the bright and happy kind you'd expect to socialize with just about anyone.

I think I remember that each girl have two endings? The judgment call (I mean the choices you make) seemed meant to decide between the good and bad endings. I like the fact that some choices could be permanent and unchangeable, it makes the whole thing realistic. Some choices are meant to be this way.

That, and of course we await the hidden, secretive, all too anticipated Hisao's bad ends with Kenji. XD
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Man, I just played the Shizune route. Hisao really is a lazy bum there. I understand that the Shizune route is more battle-like than the other routes, but I wish I could kick his ass for resisting so long before joining the student council, and then complaining about the work all the time. Also, he lets the girls pay for his food all the time, this guy has no shame! And then, he's hanging out with a deaf girl but doesn't even bother to learn at least a little sign-language. OH, I FORGOT, HE LEARNED HOW TO SAY "DUMPLINGS" AND "OMELETTE" IN SIGN LANGUAGE! I'm sure you can have a great conversation with just these two words. :wink:

No, seriously, it was fun, although it was a little too long for my taste. It could be a little more condensed. But the fireworks-scene on the rooftop was great.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
DESU

Post by DESU »

Panty Supervisor wrote:Man, I just played the Shizune route. Hisao really is a lazy bum there. I understand that the Shizune route is more battle-like than the other routes, but I wish I could kick his ass for resisting so long before joining the student council, and then complaining about the work all the time. Also, he lets the girls pay for his food all the time, this guy has no shame! And then, he's hanging out with a deaf girl but doesn't even bother to learn at least a little sign-language. OH, I FORGOT, HE LEARNED HOW TO SAY "DUMPLINGS" AND "OMELETTE" IN SIGN LANGUAGE! I'm sure you can have a great conversation with just these two words.

No, seriously, it was fun, although it was a little too long for my taste. It could be a little more condensed. But the fireworks-scene on the rooftop was great.
Well with the holding out on joining the student council, if hisao were to join right away or do so earlier, then the character wouldn't be able to peruse any other path. for example, I played the hanako path, and there was a significant amount of "JOIN THE STUDENT COUNCIL HISAO" in the beginning, which I didn't want.

But you're right about the paying for the food thing. the man ALWAYS pays for the meal, ALWAYS.

And sign language takes a while before even getting the basics down.

and why would you want it condensed? then you would have less time with the girl of your choice. if anything, I want MORE hanako. but i'll have to wait for the full release for that.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Are you talking about the Shizune route being too long or Act 1 in general?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Hah, I remember my first run at Shizune.

Shizune: ...
Misha: HICCHAN JOIN THE STUDENT COUNCIL WAHAHA~!
Me: Yeah, I guess I do want to-
Hisao: NO. Let me think about some more.

Repeat about 3 times.