Bad end discussion topic

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Notguest

Re: Bad end discussion topic

Post by Notguest »

Pumpkineat3r wrote:Going for? No. Probably going to get? Yes. Two of my first three attempts landed me on the roof with Kenji. Or on the ground, depending on how you look at it.
Same here, because I didn't realize that I was already doomed to Kenji and thought redoing the last choice would change things. Then I wised up and found the flowchart.
chaix

Post by chaix »

ouch, kenji on the first two tries? VG(VN?) gods must not have liked you.

since he is attached in act2 on, it should be easier to tell when you've gone down the wrong line. I am hoping that the bad endings are more varied, having Kenji constantly off you might get a tad boring.
Pumpkineat3r

Post by Pumpkineat3r »

Notguest wrote:
Same here, because I didn't realize that I was already doomed to Kenji and thought redoing the last choice would change things. Then I wised up and found the flowchart.
The reason I didn't get it twice in a row was my use of the shotgun strategy on my second playthrough. I tried to get Hanako or Emi's end, rather than just trying for Hanako. After the third play through I got a walkthrough.
Seyren

Post by Seyren »

ubergeneral wrote:1. Is anyone going to go for a bad end their first run when the game comes out?

2. Which girl do you think will have the best Bad end?

3. Anyone want a Nice Boat bad end?
woah.... a bad end at first playthrough?? well that's unthinkable for me....
for the best bad end maybe shizune's bad end... heheh~ (or having hisao fall down to death not bad either... :D )
nice boat bad end? i don't really get it.... :? but seems interesting.... :twisted:
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Seyren wrote:nice boat bad end? i don't really get it.... :? but seems interesting.... :twisted:
Just to be clear, have you heard of School Days?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
SpectralTime

Post by SpectralTime »

Frankly, I've never seen School Days and hope I never do, but I do understand the joke from my Tvtropes days, before I gave it up for Lent.

Anyway, in some Visual Novels I actually do like collecting Bad Ends. Fate/stay night, for one, made death a hilarious non-sequitur of an adventure, which took the edge off even the worst, goriest, most depressing endings imaginable, Pre-Heaven's Feel anyway. I doubt that Katawa Shoujo will do the same, and I further doubt most of the Bad Ends will also be Dead Ends (Fate/stay night joke and terrible pun welded together).

Not that I don't think any game wouldn't be improved by a death scene involving two characters essentially calling you an idiot and mocking your choices before giving you a quick hint and pushing you back into the mix.
If you want to hear my pithy quote, go read the entirety of http://www.drmcninja.com/.

For that matter, go to http://www.kidradd.com/ too, especially if you have the right kind of browser.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I think a (subtle) reference could easily be snuck into one of the Bad Ends where Muto and Nurse essentially take on the role of Taiga and Ilya.

Of course they'd have to just happen to find themselves with a Bad End that lends itself to such a reference without feeling contrived, rather than gunning for it the whole time. "The Ends do not justify the means," as it were. :P
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

"Mutou: This is Mutou Dojo nr 427. Hello again, Hisao. I have a message for you: HOW CAN ONE SCREW UP 427 TIMES??
Nurse: Aww, take it easy on the little guy, Mutou. Maybe he picks dying as a hobby? You know, he could be mentally ill as well. It happens.
Mutou: Running around naked and drunk on a nazi skinhead party yelling that I'm gay... yes, nurse. Could happen to everyone. Now Hisao, get your ass back up to the previous choice and don't screw up"

Maybe Mutou Class instead of dojo.
heh, bizarre.
Yea, in F/SN I intentionally try dying on every choice possible before completing it, just because I love the scenes.

It just wouldn't fit to KS :P
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

How about a Hanako balcony end? Ask somewhere if you duhn git it.

Post by Guest »

Mikage-sama wrote:How about a Hanako balcony end? Ask somewhere if you duhn git it.
Reeses puffs as well?
Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

In terms of bad endings/events, this idea came to mind...

How about having Hanako commit suicide once you leave her for another girl like Shizune? Especially after going well into Hanako's storyline?

This idea came up because Hanako forms very deep and trusting relationships with a very select few, given her personality. Now, add PC into the story, she would depend on you a lot more, drink more tea with you and play more chess with you and TRUST you like Lilly or her father, to the point that she would be nothing without you. But, when the opportunity comes, you leave her for Shizune or (add another girl who loathes Hanako)... her personality was so dependent on you that when you left, she literally 'collapsed' without you being there for her, i.e

1. Sudden and unexpected death of her father --> A scarred young girl with almost no social life, a shadow of former self

2. Hisao leaves her all of a sudden --> Becomes extremely depressed + lonely --> commits suicide because she cannot live through psychological trauma for second time

I think some 'ending' or event like this would probably add to the reality factor i.e if you leave a very vulnerable person like that, there are consequences.

It would be quite stupid if you suddenly break off a relationship with a girl after a very long storyline and then never see her again or you find her acting like nothing never happened.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Guest22 wrote:How about having Hanako commit suicide once you leave her for another girl like Shizune? Especially after going well into Hanako's storyline?
I don't think there will be much path jumping in the game. Too much added complexity. Besides, if you were on Hanako's path, you've pretty much excluded everyone else except maybe Lilly.

But otherwise, Hanako is already battling depression, so suicide is not so far fetched.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Guest22 wrote:How about having Hanako commit suicide once you leave her for another girl like Shizune? Especially after going well into Hanako's storyline?
But otherwise, Hanako is already battling depression, so suicide is not so far fetched.
That's the point I am trying to get at, the Hanako story should progress with her battle with depression and suicide overshadowing the relationship with PC, where PC would guide her away from depression etc and replacing those feelings with love, appreciation of life, i.e the "life goes on" phenomena...

Also, I think Lilly be some kind of proxy or mentor that fosters the relationship between PC and hanako in the beginning... what do you guys think?
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

I don't think it would be easy for any other girl to fall for Hisao after he's already on someone else's path.
Let's see: Hanako path-
1. Shizune and Misha won't like you THAT much because you don't want to have anything to do with the student council.

2. Emi- You don't run with her. In fact, you avoid doing it. So how could she fall for you?

3. Rin- She doesn't give a damn. you didn't approach her that much for her to care, nor Hisao cares about art on this path.

4. Lilly- If she knew about this relationship, she'd be more then happy that Hanako is doing fine and she'd be their Fairy Godmother for all eternity.

So it's not possible.
UNLESS someone OTHER would break in the path.
But it is unlikely.
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

what if he went for one of the other minor characters? That could be a bad end.

Also Iwaniko.