Known technical issues & workarounds

delta
Feels Badman

Known technical issues & workarounds

Post by delta »

This is more or less a technical FAQ, to be updated as we find out about them.

Engine Issues
Game crashes on startup with "Exception: pixellate requires a 24 or 32 bit surface."
Either your display resolution or the color depth is too low. KS needs at least 1024x768 at 24 bit.

KS raises a DEP error on systems that have it enabled (it's enabled on Vista 64 by default)
You'll need to add a DEP exception for it for the time being.

The main menu sometimes does not show up when starting the game
This is a weird and random bug I haven't been able to pin down. Just restart the game, it should work eventually.

Alt sometimes gets stuck after Alt-Tabbing in (may manifest in Space not forwarding the text or Enter switching the game to fullscreen)
There's not much to be done about this one, except that tapping Alt fixes it when it happens.

Ingame screenshots are saved... where?
Where the executable is, but there are some problems with that. Vista does not allow applications to write into their installation directory and redirects such files somewhere else, though there is an Explorer setting that shows them where the applications thinks it wrote them; and on OS X, the actual executable is inside the .app bundle (in Contents/Resources/autorun/). If you cannot make sense of either of those explanations, it is recommended you just use your OS tools to make screenshots.

Game Glitches
Hanako's Festival also unlocks Lilly's festival in the Library
This is a glitch due to those two scenes using overlapping text. Just ignore it. If you have 100% completion but you are missing the last CG from gallery, play to Lilly's end from a save or the beginning.

Performance Issues
The fireworks (and some other effects) cause lag/framedrops/slowdown
These effects are indeed very heavy on the CPU, older CPUs may not be able to render them reasonably (Multicore CPUs and fast GPUs do not help, Ren'Py is singlethreaded and non-hardware accelerated). There's not much that can be done about it, but you may try to set text speed to maximum and transitions to off in your preferences.

Re: Known technical issues & workarounds

Post by Guest »

"Katawa Shoujo Act 1.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
Help?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:"Katawa Shoujo Act 1.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
Help?
See the problem with DEP. Try that first.
KM

Post by KM »

I have encountered an error with the festival (where Emi leads you to Rin's mural). The program seems to crash at the same point when Emi asks Rin if she's eaten. I have a traceback log, but I'm not sure who to e-mail it to.

I'm using the Linux version.
wolfy1324

Post by wolfy1324 »

delta wrote:This is more or less a technical FAQ, to be updated as we find out about them.

Engine Issues
Game crashes on startup with "Exception: pixellate requires a 24 or 32 bit surface."
Either your display resolution or the color depth is too low. KS needs at least 1024x768 at 24 bit.
Wha? I don't get how to do that, can you like give me step-by-step instructions or something, sorry for the trouble...
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Post by Guest »

Hi. Whenever I try and open my game, it starts loading, I get the "Katawa Shoujo; Act 1" page, then it just stops. My notepad shows up saying this:
I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

ValueError: no standard masks exist for given bitdepth with alpha

After initialization, but before game start.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Program Files\Katawa Shoujo Act 1\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 255, in bootstrap
File "C:\Program Files\Katawa Shoujo Act 1\renpy\main.py", line 297, in main
File "C:\Program Files\Katawa Shoujo Act 1\renpy\display\core.py", line 1091, in __init__
File "C:\Program Files\Katawa Shoujo Act 1\renpy\display\core.py", line 703, in __init__
ValueError: no standard masks exist for given bitdepth with alpha

After initialization, but before game start.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.9.1h

Any thoughts? :C
ShadoWKilleR

Post by ShadoWKilleR »

Alt sometimes gets stuck after Alt-Tabbing in (may manifest in Space not forwarding the text or Enter switching the game to fullscreen)
There's not much to be done about this one, except that tapping Alt fixes it when it happens.
example for such a thing is the internet explorer itself or any other application that has a top menu example

the way to fix that is to give the alt key a function so that it would override the default function of windows (which is to open the window menu) although it's preferable if the function is set to [none]

just so you know i don't know ANYTHING about coding and whether my suggestion are even applicable on this engine or any other engine, and i didn't know where to put this so i put it here sorry if this is the wrong place.
buckbok

Post by buckbok »

Hello. This isn't a technical fault with the game, but rather a problem I'm facing with the technical issue with comments on shimmie. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread.

I've attempted to comment on the shimmie several times over the past few months but always end up with the "Comment Blocked" and "incorrect reCaptcha" page. It's definitely not a fault in the words I type and I've also tried the hearing version of the reCaptcha. I have sent to the reCaptcha troubleshooter but just wanted to confirm with you guys if there is another solution.

Thank you for your time.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Since it seems to work for everybody else (or at least the vast majority), I don't know if I can help you there.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Ok i know this isn't probably the case, but is it possible that you blocked a user that has a similar IP to buckbok? Or could it be that a user is blocked and buckbok is using a dynamic IP or has a ISP proxy catche?

I'm just throwing around idea's here. I've herd of similar things happening on a few image board sight.

edit: I also got the same error 'guest' had when i tried to start up the game.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

For the main menu not appearing, I found that, when this happened, I could right click and the menu would appear. The problem only occurred twice on my old pc though, so I am uncertain if this works every time.

On my new mac, when I reached the kenji ending one time, the game did not progress to the credits as usual. I do not recall what actually happened, since it was a while ago, but i think it got suck with a black screen and I had to restart. This never occurred again.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Aozaki Aoka

Post by Aozaki Aoka »

Theres an issue with the mac version of Act 1 (Ver 3) for Mac OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

The mac OS does not recognize the katawa shoujo .dmg file

Anyone know bout this and how to fix?
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

corrupted download, maybe?
Aozaki Aoka

Post by Aozaki Aoka »

I dont think its a corrupted download...

I downloaded it directly and used the torrent but it still could not work.