Do you have any friends that are physically disabled?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tsundere Lightning

Re: Do you have any friends that are physically disabled?

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

My papa worked as an ASL interpreter for rather a long time, and I'm friends with a lot of the deaf friends he met that way. I confess myself rather shocked at how articulate and intelligent one of them was... when she wrote down her thoughts and we spoke that way. She's the reason I'm taking ASL classes as soon as I can, and learning on my own online. (Being able to bullshit phrases for Shizune in fic is just a bonus.)

Likewise, the father of my best friend in childhood has been wheelchair bound since before I was born.

I don't recall anyone around my age being physically disabled, unless severe gender dysphoria (transgender/'epic trap') counts. Cognitive and mental disabilities, otoh...
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

I'm disabled in a way you might say. I have burn scars on my right arm and can't do fully lift it or strecht it. Other than me I don't have disabled people that I enjoy being with. I know a few though.
Kaitto

Post by Kaitto »

I don't have any disabled friends, but i'm handicapped myself, i have a smaller right leg. Defect from birth.
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

Daestrum wrote:I've got deteriorating eyesight. Likely to need cornea transplants within the next few years, though it's inevitable that I'll go blind. My eyesight is bad enough that, without lenses or glasses, I cannot see within inches of my face.

Terrifying prospect, going blind. Being an avid gamer and artist, I cannot image losing my ability to see.
What a terrible thing to have hanging over you. Inability to read peoples' expressions, look at paintings, write. Humans are such a visually oriented species; we use sight more than any other sense. I'm so sorry that's happening to you. Best of luck. Don't worry, bionic eyes'll be here any day now...

I taught myself both braille and a little sign language. Braille's not that useful unless you want to read the secret messages in elevators and the like, but I was able to exchange pleasantries with a deaf person thanks to the elementary signs I knew.
Daestrum

Post by Daestrum »

Sleet wrote:What a terrible thing to have hanging over you. Inability to read peoples' expressions, look at paintings, write. Humans are such a visually oriented species; we use sight more than any other sense. I'm so sorry that's happening to you. Best of luck. Don't worry, bionic eyes'll be here any day now...

I taught myself both braille and a little sign language. Braille's not that useful unless you want to read the secret messages in elevators and the like, but I was able to exchange pleasantries with a deaf person thanks to the elementary signs I knew.
Terrible as it is, there are far worse things I could fall victim to. The best years of my life will still be with sight, and like you said, hopefully medical science will help one day. Only part of the idea that truly scares me is never getting to see the children I plan to have.

Really need to learn how to read braille and do sign language while I can still see. Lazy bastard, and all that, though. Appreciate the sympathy, at any rate.
rustyarmor

Post by rustyarmor »

I dated a girl who was bi-polar, who looked like hanako (minus the scars) and had her personality too...unless she was in crazy bitch mode, which then she more acts like kenji. I also have a friend whos missing a foot
krabbymcnabby

Post by krabbymcnabby »

A deaf girl used to be my best friend, she taught me a bit of sign language and it wasn't really that bad, only for the fact i couldn't read for about a year before i met her but i can't remember the details because i was about 3 at the time, then she started watching the romantic films (like most girls) and decided i should be her boyfriend...Then she turned lesbian, at least she told me it wasn't because of me :/
Proboscis

Post by Proboscis »

I know 2 or 3 people who all have some form of arm and leg disability, but I don't know what they have. Also a few who are deaf, and some with diabetes.

I have Marfan syndrome, haven't seen a doctor as far as how much of me it actually has an effect on, though I'm pretty sure it's my eyes, lungs, and heart. Also have the long limbs and fingers.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Sleet wrote:
Daestrum wrote:I've got deteriorating eyesight. Likely to need cornea transplants within the next few years, though it's inevitable that I'll go blind. My eyesight is bad enough that, without lenses or glasses, I cannot see within inches of my face.

Terrifying prospect, going blind. Being an avid gamer and artist, I cannot image losing my ability to see.
What a terrible thing to have hanging over you. Inability to read peoples' expressions, look at paintings, write. Humans are such a visually oriented species; we use sight more than any other sense. I'm so sorry that's happening to you. Best of luck. Don't worry, bionic eyes'll be here any day now...

What secret messages? Or are you joking?
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

I've known two girls with Cerebral Palsy. One of which was actually interested by the concept of this game. :P
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

one thing that i think makes this game special is that most people have or know someone with a disability, so regardless of initial impressions, we empathize with the characters in-game, and begin to place ourselves in their position (I wondered what it would be like to have no arms).

i think i empathize most with suizune due to my own hearing problems (see earlier post)

if i may make a suggestion to the makers, make 2 versions of the game, one thats merely a Pg-13/teen rating and one with the adult content

why? because i think this game is something that touches on a sensitive and little understood subject, that being the affects on people with disabilitys in everyday life, their interactions and feelings, and the way they cope with them.

I think that this game should be available to a much wider audience.

thoughts? comments?
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Shades of gray wrote:one thing that i think makes this game special is that most people have or know someone with a disability, so regardless of initial impressions, we empathize with the characters in-game, and begin to place ourselves in their position (I wondered what it would be like to have no arms).

i think i empathize most with suizune due to my own hearing problems (see earlier post)

if i may make a suggestion to the makers, make 2 versions of the game, one thats merely a Pg-13/teen rating and one with the adult content

why? because i think this game is something that touches on a sensitive and little understood subject, that being the affects on people with disabilitys in everyday life, their interactions and feelings, and the way they cope with them.

I think that this game should be available to a much wider audience.

thoughts? comments?

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=435&start=0&

Don't really like being the guy to say this, but learn to search before asking things, :)
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

ah right, thanks for pointing that out empty

didnt see that topic V_V
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

Notguest wrote:What secret messages? Or are you joking?
Hint: There was a hyperlink in my post.