Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
coldacid

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by coldacid »

The third one does. The first two don't. Whether to use the article or not is contextual.
<coldacid> hanak-o's
<coldacid> taste best when burnt
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Add me to the "the hospital" support bandwagon.

Perhaps it's a regional dialect thing? All I know is, here in northeast Ohio (USA) you would definitely say "the hospital".

EDIT: I CALLED IT! See 2nd post: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic44671.html
A Google search for "go to the hospital" "go to hospital" american british seems to support this even more.

So then, it all comes down to whether we want KS to be American-sounding or British-sounding. :P
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Interesting. I have never heard of hospital without the 'the' in front of it. It sounds completely wrong to me. But I guess it's a regional thing.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

"the hospital" = American
"hospital" = British

Since the characters are Japanese, either could be used, but it would be preferable to keep the English consistent (hospital/flat/lift vs. the hospital/apartment/elevator, etc).

Addendum: If Lilly is supposed to be European/Westerner, it might work to have her and her sister speak British English, and everyone else American English (or vice-versa, but Lilly always struck me as kind of British).
Daestrum

Post by Daestrum »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Daestrum wrote:come from 4Chan
Well... actually while we acknowledge that the games origins come from 4chan, the people who are actually making this game aren't anonymous, or channers really. 4chan isn't a good place to develop things. And I'll agree that something this beautiful can't come from 4chan, and it didn't.

Read this if you want to know how the game was really developed:
http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... houjo.html
As I said, very, very much corrected. :)

Thanks for the link. Been devouring as much information as I can about the game since I first got my hands on it.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Yeah, I have heard British people say "in hospital" before, but since KS uses American English spellings rather than British English, using British grammar would be inconsistent.

@Silentcook: Gah, I missed one? Must've been Shizune's route. >_> Otherwise, I apologize.
Microman

Post by Microman »

Hello, I just wanted to say that I have never played this kind of game before, but I found this game very gripping and intriguing, and with a great soundtrack that really elevates the experience.
I found myself creating select save points so I could go back and run the game in the background (windowed mode) so I could listen to the music of a certain scene. The risk and reward part, for instance.
Many hats off to the team, looking forward to e next release.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Microman wrote:I found myself creating select save points so I could go back and run the game in the background (windowed mode) so I could listen to the music of a certain scene.
Like is standard in most visual novels, there is a built-in option for playing back any previously-heard music in the "Extras" menu, then "Jukebox".

Video of accessing the Extras menu (including Jukebox):

Microman

Post by Microman »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Microman wrote:I found myself creating select save points so I could go back and run the game in the background (windowed mode) so I could listen to the music of a certain scene.
Like is standard in most visual novels, there is a built-in option for playing back any previously-heard music in the "Extras" menu, then "Jukebox".

Video of accessing the Extras menu (including Jukebox):
Thanks!
Just to clarify, I didn't mean it as criticism.
Nintendo Maniac 64

...criticism?

I'm not even sure how one could interpret your previous post as such. XD

Microman

Post by Microman »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:...criticism?

I'm not even sure how one could interpret your previous post as such. XD
I've seen enough misunderstandings on internet forums that I've gotten the habit to make myself redundantly clear, even when not really necessary... like now. ;)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's the same reason I even provided a link to a video because I didn't want to attempt explaining something again (really pressed for time as of typing this).

Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Just popping in to say how much I enjoyed the demo. I thought this game would be more of a novelty at first glance, but I'm impressed. Not just by the professional-grade execution and writing, but by the concept behind the game. Amazing work.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Dice

Post by Dice »

So, I've been lurking around for awhile and never gave the idea of giving feedback much thought, but I figure with all the activity going on here I'd throw my two cents in.
My only experience with anything even close to a VN would be games with a romance subplot, Like Tales of Symphonia, the Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story, or Mass Effect. I was hesitant about playing the act I demo, mainly because I wasn't sure if I wanted to risk becoming one of those ronrey shut-ins obsessing over virtual girls.
Plus it's a game about crippled girls. It's not exactly easy to have the thought "Hm, should I go for the girl without legs, or the one with the horrible scars?" run through your head and still feel like a normal person.
I wasn't aware of the 4chan connection when I started, but I did figure this was all a joke, just a romp through A shoddy demo where there was some flimsy dialogue inbetween the start button and undressing a disabled girl the main character cared about for whatever reason.
Lo and behold, not only was there no sex, but you bastards actually managed to do something unexpected. I ended up caring about the girls. After all was said and done I wanted to know what made Shizune so competitive, what happened to scar Hanako like that, what goes on through Rin's head, how Emi stays so positive, and why there's a contrast between Lilly's 'rich girl who's not stuck up about it' nature and how hard Akira works. You guys did a great job of making sure they weren’t just a personality quirk/disability with boobs, they actually felt like well developed characters.
I explained this to my closest of nerd friends (Because "So, there's this really interesting game you've gotta try where you date a crippled girl" isn't something you can just say to the jackass you kind of sorta know from class) and go the understandable reaction of "Lolwut?". Then they tried it and came to the same conclusion.
So congratulations Devs, this may have been my first VN but damn if it wasn’t polished to a mirror shine. I’m looking forward to the full version filled.
P.S. You guys are still superjerks for making me care about a dating game involving crippled girls. I will lose all my man points if I end up crying. I’m not sure if after beating the full version if I’ll want to buy you all a beer or punch you in the dick. Maybe Both.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

It's been a while since I've been punched in the dick. Looking forward to it.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents