Do you have any friends that are physically disabled?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ubergeneral

Do you have any friends that are physically disabled?

Post by ubergeneral »

Tell me do you have any friends that are physically disabled? How does it affect you? How would/did they react to KS?

I have a few myself. One girl I have been friends with for a very long time. She has a strange condition where she essentially has no eyelids... only not quite. It's hard to explain without giving a picture. Anyways she is very beautiful and reminds me of Hannako. The catch is that as far as we know she is the only person in the world like that making her even more special. I have been trying to get her to read KS but so far I've had no luck.

Another friend I had was someone I met at school. She used a walker but got hurt and went back into a wheelchair. I talked to her for a while but I don't talk to her anymore because of a misunderstanding. I think about her sometimes because I knew she liked to read and i'd like to know what she thinks about KS.

Tell me about your friends?
Bara

Re: Do you have any freinds that are phsically disabled?

Post by Bara »

Friends? I have none. I'm just a typical internet troglodyte. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Yes, if my brother counts. He was paralyzed in a car crash about 20 years ago, I'll see if he wants to try the game sometime. Another friend of mine had MD, but he died about two years ago. I'm pretty sure he would have liked the game.
lurk moar

Post by lurk moar »

I know a girl who is missing half of her left arm from a birth defect.

I don't really know her well, but she would probably react negatively because she's 13 (although she might identify with Rin).
Goude

Post by Goude »

My Step-Father is disabled from a car crash when he was 16 if that counts. Broke around 40 bones and now suffers from epilepsy, but he gets around fine.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

If I count as my own friend, I was ran over by a car, the bone in my right leg is attached to big metal nail and still recovering, 2 years now.
ppl call me robocop xd
well, this is 13% permanent body injury, but don't think it actually counts as cripple... I can do all normal things except excessive physical exercise involving the leg.
I like the game a lot ^^
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Would complete deafness in the left ear count as 13% permanent bodily injury?

How would you even calculate that?
State of Mind

Post by State of Mind »

The girl that sat next to me in English class was blind in her right eye as the result of being dropped as a child. Not going to lie, I laugh a little at the dropped as a child part but the fact that I didn't notice the blind part at 1st surprised me. Other then that my grand father was wheelchair bound for the last 20 years of his life because of a stroke that made him paralyzed from the waist down. He lived to 103 and found a way to get around even after his stroke. He even took care of me when my parents were at work when I was young.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing. I didn't think that through .I guess the machine won in the end. :)
darkblade986

Post by darkblade986 »

One of the RAs in my dorm has a prosthetic leg starting just below the knee. The location is similar to Emi's legs, but his prosthetic is actually a foot lookalike. Hardly see him much, except for occasionally passing each other inbetween classes, in which case I recognize him as the RA, but I doubt he recognizes me as someone from his dorm. It hardly affects how I look at him though. I see him and my brain goes "Oh, he's the one with the leg," but it's not like I judge him about it - it's just an identifying feature. He tends to wear long pants anyways, summer or not, so no one would ever know he had a prosthetic.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Caesius wrote:How would you even calculate that?
No idea. the doctors said so. they probably have some ways of doing it, not my league.
What I Have I Hold

Re: Do you have any friends that are physically disabled?

Post by What I Have I Hold »

...My mom counts as a friend, right? ;_;

Basically my mom was born paralyzed because of a rare form of muscular dystrophy. This being 1960, the doctors told my grandparents she was severely retarded and would never learn to speak, feed herself, etc. They suggested sending her to the local insane asylum for the rest of her life, and my grandparents should have another baby and pretend my mother never existed. Instead they took her home, and within a couple of months my mother muscles were strong enough to move her.

She had to have several surgeries throughout her childhood and teenage years to correct her eyesight and muscle function, so she has a bunch of deep scars on her legs and right shoulder. If she falls she cannot pick herself back up, and ever since I was a little girl I've had to help her up stairs, with shopping and heavy lifting, but most people who aren't close to her never suspect she has a disability.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

2 people, Myself and an old friend of mine

My friend had a accident with a chip pan when he was young, burned his arm bad enough to lose a finger and half of another (small finger and one next to it)
havent seen him in a few years now, but i wont forget the wax like appearance of the scars, really weird to look at at the time

and myself? Alports Syndrome, which causes renal problems (kidneys) plus shortsighted (dont need glasses though, things just get a lil bit blurry at a distance) and degenerative deafness.

kidneys gave up the ghost in '01, spent 7 years on dialysis (switched between both types) and got transplanted in December '08 (my uncle was the donor).

as for my hearing, well, anytime between 6-15 years (audiologist can't say for certain) i will have lost all hearing in both ears, but for now, hearing aids plus learning sign language (which is actually a pain to learn when you can still hear and can lip-read).

makes me empathize with suizune and hanako you know?
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

I did. But he just recently died. I took it pretty hard; it's been a rough this past month.
Daestrum

Post by Daestrum »

I've got deteriorating eyesight. Likely to need cornea transplants within the next few years, though it's inevitable that I'll go blind. My eyesight is bad enough that, without lenses or glasses, I cannot see within inches of my face.

Terrifying prospect, going blind. Being an avid gamer and artist, I cannot image losing my ability to see.
b0mb3r

Post by b0mb3r »

Daestrum wrote:I've got deteriorating eyesight. Likely to need cornea transplants within the next few years, though it's inevitable that I'll go blind. My eyesight is bad enough that, without lenses or glasses, I cannot see within inches of my face.

Terrifying prospect, going blind. Being an avid gamer and artist, I cannot image losing my ability to see.
if worse come to worse you can be like that blind artist who touches people face to do a wonderful profile on his ink painting. look him up on youtube.

my college is basically a dumping ground for disabled kids like us but mostly is mentally not physical. excuse my spelling and lack of exact words of each disability . my roommate "torats" that twitching body thing, one guy has no hand, a girl who can't see reflection (if she see herself in a mirror, her mind doesn't register it), a guy literally can't read due that to him words literally jumps around, etc.