Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bara

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Bara »

Now this just shows insomniacs shouldn't have internet access. In a fit of sleepless boredom I looked up where I'd be if if my solo numbers were ranked as a team and I was pretty damned surprised to see I'd rank at about #1918. Somehow I had the idea it would be around 3500+ or even 4000.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
callmeemo

Post by callmeemo »

Alright, finally broke into the top 100 on our team. I'll probably get kicked back out before I can secure it, though.

I don't know how you guys can pull off 1,000's of points a day, I'm lucky to finish 1 a day and get a couple hundred.
"From far away, it looks like someone vomited a herd of butterflies on the wall."
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

It's very sensitive to the processor you're running it with. 1 core is worth a couple hundred a day, and you can multiply that by 2 or 4 for a dual or quad core. The GPU client is where it's at though, coming in at 3500-7000 per day depending on the project.
sandvich

Post by sandvich »

callmeemo wrote:Alright, finally broke into the top 100 on our team. I'll probably get kicked back out before I can secure it, though.

I don't know how you guys can pull off 1,000's of points a day, I'm lucky to finish 1 a day and get a couple hundred.
Sorry callmeemeo but I'm about to pass you up when my next WU is done :wink:

Edit:I was just looking at my log and the protein im folding right now has the most confusing name for a protein I've seen "Protein: Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists Sane in water"
Ropewash

Post by Ropewash »

Just for relative measurement's sake here's my usual results..
4 cores on a 2.8GHz quad : 1920 points per 9 hours with 64bit linux client.
1 core on a 2.2GHz duo : 300 points per 15 hours with 32bit linux client.
40%

Post by 40% »

Thanks to my family deciding to give me money insted of presents for christmas, I managed to buy a PS3 just before New Years. A 120GB Slim to be exact. Been switching on F@H whenever I haven't been using it, and I'm gradually climbing up the ranks. According to Extreme Overclocking's predictions I should be in the top 100 by this time next month.
berserker29

Post by berserker29 »

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I just felt like sharing.

I ended up getting myself recruited at fah-addict.net, so I thought I might share the first article I've written: http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news-0-141.php

I went over several of the features behind AMD's 2011 desktop/server CPU architecture, so anyone interested in CPU arch. or folding hardware might want to take a look - there are some pretty interesting concepts this time around.
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260
Bara

Post by Bara »

berserker29 wrote:It's been a while since I've posted here, but I just felt like sharing.

I ended up getting myself recruited at fah-addict.net, so I thought I might share the first article I've written: http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news-0-141.php

I went over several of the features behind AMD's 2011 desktop/server CPU architecture, so anyone interested in CPU arch. or folding hardware might want to take a look - there are some pretty interesting concepts this time around.
Nice, I read the article and I think I even understood the big words. :lol:
You summed it up well by pointing out what should be the important things to folders at the end where you said it has the possibility of doing more folding calcs for a given GHz. I guess the next thing will be how it gets priced on the market when it shows up.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

Finally got my second machine running F@H so I can pump out a solid 3000 PPD

Just for curiosities sake, How many machines do you guys have running?
Ropewash

Post by Ropewash »

1.5 machines here.

I've gotten another couple of those screwy WU's again.
33% processor and 100% local-host network. Two TCP ports opened for FaH talking to each other.
It's a pain in the ass watching a work-unit creeping slowly through the network controller.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Running F@H on 2 desktops and a PS3 console. Toying with the idea of running it on my girlfriend's computer instead of SETI@Home. I'm still undecided about that since I've been running S@H for years and I don't like to let it go. (GF's computer has no video card, just the onboard graphics so it can't run the GPU Client.)

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

I run GPU on my PC at home and CPU on about 4 machines at work (they're not very powerful, about 1500PPD between them).

I used ot run SMP on my PC here but it's not on enough to make a difference. That and my heat management wasn't up to scratch. I should really work on that.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Bara

Post by Bara »

I had not taken a look at the team page in several weeks and the fact just struck me how many folks we have had quietly grinding out the work units for the KS Folding at home team. About 6 people who have contributed 200K Points; 6 with 300K Points (7 if you round up bytor's numbers who is 7.5k away from 300K); 2 at 500K Points, 1 at 750K Points and 3 more with over 1 million Points contributed. Kind of freaking awesome when you take a step back and look at it.

Everyone who has chipped in a Work Unit should feel a touch of pride at what we did and are still doing.

Ropewash

Post by Ropewash »

I found the cause of the slow grinds and high internal network usage in a recent F@H forum thread.
Some folks reported massive slowdown with the A1 SMP core.
I mentioned my network issues and they checked it out and reported the same conditions.
Seems the old A1 units are just a pig to grind.

Though for all you GPU guys it doesn't matter one bit.
Bara

Post by Bara »

You just have to let loose a little chuckle at some of the names given to some of the protein simulations that we run. I just saw this one today:

[16:40:34] Project: 6318 (Run 2768, Clone 30, Gen 1)
[16:40:34]
[16:40:34] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[16:40:34] Entering M.D.
[16:40:40] Protein: Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists Sane in water

I have to admit, reading that made me giggle. :lol: