Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Snicket

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Post by Snicket »

Jeez its been over a month since some one posted here. -No I'm not doing thread necromancy, i actually have something useful to post-

Anyway after doing some research, I've come across a few possible engines we can use for this game. (I know this has been discussed before) Though depending on which one we choose, will determine how this is going to turn out. I've checked into a few that use a variation of coding. Also i've found numerous 'help guides' on programming a few of these engines. So with if a few of us hammered out a plan, we could probably get something going in no time.

Though there were a few things i was a little ify on. While going about this, i thought about doing a story mode for this game. This idea was quickly scrapped since i figured it would be too hard. Also i was worried about the current roster. since we only had 11 confirmed characters thus far, the game would get pretty stale rather quickly to some. Which we could solve latter down the road when more characters are reviled.

I dunno this is just kinda of a tired rant that I've been meaning to post. I've actually started to put some bits of this game together myself. Including a move-set, character sprites and a few other things. Though I'm not real happy how they turned out, so thats why i haven't posted them.

Anyway, considering how things go in the next few months, i 'may' have a demo going or at least on display. So you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Also before i get a bunch of angry e-mails/private messages. I'd like to say thins. I am not trying to take over this project, rather I'm just throwing bits and pieces at it. Hopping some of them will stick. I still want to work on this as a team, so don't think I'm trying to push you guys out.

/rant

(typed up, running on 3 hours of sleep_
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Snicket wrote:more characters are reviled
Just Misha~

1. Lilly
2. Emi
3. Rin
4. Mutou
5. Hisao
6. Yuuko
7. Hanako
8. Nurse
9. Kenji
10. Shizune

Without even adding anyone's secondary characters (Shizune's Misha, Lilly's Akira, probably more later) that's already a cast of 10. That shouldn't "get pretty stale rather quickly". 10 good characters would create sufficient variety. I'm not worried about the roster.

I also have actually significant amounts of lolFreeTime™ for the first time in, um, years. It starts in about 2 days and will hopefully last for some months. So I'll see if I can fit some work on this into what I plan to do in the aforementioned free time.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

EternalLurker wrote:I also have actually significant amounts of lolFreeTime™ for the first time in, um, years.
I'm terribly sorry to hear that your time is going to be devoid of lols. :mrgreen:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Heh. I should clarify. lolFreeTime™ is a term that myself and a friend use between each other to acknowledge the fact that free time is generally just a humorous urban myth. >_>
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

EternalLurker wrote:
Snicket wrote:more characters are reviled
Just Misha~

Without even adding anyone's secondary characters (Shizune's Misha, Lilly's Akira, probably more later) that's already a cast of 10. That shouldn't "get pretty stale rather quickly". 10 good characters would create sufficient variety. I'm not worried about the roster.

Blah! I meant 13, that we know so far. [13 being hideaki ] (Not counting the ones reviled in shimmie)

Anyway i meant that the combat system would get stale with just the existing characters. Since i was going off the standard 7 button move set. [3kicks, 3 punches, and the starts button.] Along with a possible special attack(when the gauge is filled), but that part is still up in the air. We could also possibly do ranged attacks, but i didn't find am easy method to do that.

Though i'm basing this off of an already exiting engine. (Assuming we chose one)

I'll post a detail description of what i have/planned thus far, so you guys can summit your input. I will probably do this, when I get a decent amount of free time to getter it all together.

(sorry if the wording is all over the place, i'm still a bit tired.)
EternalLurker wrote:I also have actually significant amounts of lolFreeTime™ for the first time in, um, years. It starts in about 2 days and will hopefully last for some months. So I'll see if I can fit some work on this into what I plan to do in the aforementioned free time.
Vacation? Or are you done with classes for a while?
Last edited by Snicket on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonnysonny

Post by sonnysonny »

Did anyone end up making characters? tl;tr
Im in your house, kicking your ass.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

sonnysonny wrote:Did anyone end up making characters? tl;tr
I wasn't planning on it, but if we make this in Mugen. We could export these characters into the other mugen ones.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Snicket wrote:
sonnysonny wrote:Did anyone end up making characters? tl;tr
I wasn't planning on it, but if we make this in Mugen. We could export these characters into the other mugen ones.
Since nobody seems keen on coding a new fighter engine, Mugen is probably the best bet. Even if we decide to actually make a seperate fighter later on, we'll still have the sprites, sounds, and moves ready for the other engine. I say go for it, as soon as someone capable takes up the task.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

I actually suggested that originally.

Right now, i'm trying to render some decent sprites that co-enside with the move sets I've done foe each character. I'm trying to stay with the a color pallet on each of them, which is proving more difficult then i originally thought. Though i may just scrap the retro look, and do them in flash, but that would be a last resort.

Post by Guest »

I just popped in to ask Snicket a question. Will your sprites look like the one on page seven? If not, could you show an example?
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Man I was just thinking about this, stumbled upon this thread and skimmed over it.

My 2 cents.
I like combo/aerial heavy fighting games with flashy effects. They appeal to my base nature, that things should look AWESOME.
Rin strikes me as the type to have a lot of flashy and spinny aerial kicks, my original thought was Sanji from One Piece but without the handstands. A very light and floaty character with reasonable speed and good power.

As an aside I can program (Java and C# being what I'm primarily familiar with) and do a little sprite work (though I'm really rusty) though my skills at animation are a little lacking. I'd find it awesome to see this sort of thing happen, but if it does it needs a cohesive development team like what KS managed to obtain.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Wreckusu wrote:Man I was just thinking about this, stumbled upon this thread and skimmed over it.

My 2 cents.
I like combo/aerial heavy fighting games with flashy effects. They appeal to my base nature, that things should look AWESOME.
Rin strikes me as the type to have a lot of flashy and spinny aerial kicks, my original thought was Sanji from One Piece but without the handstands. A very light and floaty character with reasonable speed and good power.

Yeah, I could see Rin being a light, floaty character. Her personality could be described as floaty anyway, so it works...kinda. Also, as for the "spinny aerial kicks", it would awesome (but possibly impractical?) for Rin to be able to do a "Spinning Bird Kick", like Chun-Li's move of the same name from Street Fighter.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

If this actually gets done I could write some music for this; I don't really have anything better to do, anyway.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Sgt_Frog wrote: Yeah, I could see Rin being a light, floaty character. Her personality could be described as floaty anyway, so it works...kinda. Also, as for the "spinny aerial kicks", it would awesome (but possibly impractical?) for Rin to be able to do a "Spinning Bird Kick", like Chun-Li's move of the same name from Street Fighter.
Practicality, realism, feasibility, the limitations of the human body.

None of these have any place in the world of AWESOME.

And if you're going to make a doujin fighter, it has to be awesome. I might have a look into knocking up a sprite or two or checking out MUGEN in a bit. Right now though I'm just finishing off hackintoshing my netbook so I can dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7. It'd certainly be an interesting thing to do and I could definitely pull my weight on the programming side (I could also write cheesy arcade story scenarios). Needs some leadership though, someone to step up. Biggest problem as always is finding artists. Unlike KS proper though this would need people experienced in making sprites as well as a good background in animation.

This wouldn't be as ambitious a project as KS but it'd be no walk in the park either.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Sorry for the necro-bump, but seeing Celty (from Durarara!) made me think of other characters from various animes and mangas that would probably attend Yamaku.

What if...Baiken was a student there? (Yes, I know she's like 20-something. Give me a break here.) Speaking of Guilty Gear, BRIDGET VS. HIDEAKI: TRAP VS. TRAP! WHO WILL WIN?! /capslock off