iPhone app?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Meo

Re: iPhone app?

Post by Meo »

And why would it be such a bother for you if it was released for the iphone èh?
Why would that make the game less enjoyable?
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Meo wrote:And why would it be such a bother for you if it was released for the iphone èh?
Why would that make the game less enjoyable?
Because the devs are already busy, and the concessions they would have to make are ones they are not willing to make.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

I said this on LSF, but let me recap here:
  • The iPhone 3.0 SDK EULA expressly forbids using it to produce code interpreters. Even Saurik doesn't see room for interpretation on this. Ren'Py would have to compile down to native iPhone code, a strategy quietly adopted by multiple development platforms.
  • Python on the (jailbroken) iPhone is currently a stunt with very little to show for itself right now. Ditto Java.
  • Excepting the 3GS, the iPhone platform runs inside 128Mb RAM on a medium-grade ARM. An HTML5 Canvas sprite animation demo (i.e. not optimized for GL) shows the limitations of the CPU and possibly intensive memory swapping. Smooth video playback is the result of H.264 decoding in hardware, not the inherent speed or memory of the platform.
  • As Tom pointed out, SDL is freely licensed for all platforms -- except iPhone, which currently requires a commercial license.
  • iPhoneOS does not by default support embedding custom fonts, unless you add a bit of code someone else wrote which still requires you to know the canonical internal name for that font (as opposed to the filename).
  • Unless software-based decoders for OGG turn out to be comparable to the hardware decoders for MPEG/MP3/AAC, video and audio assets will have to be transcoded to patent-encumbered formats. Apple is unlikely to approve an app that supports OGG.
The iPhone platform itself is perfectly capable of hosting games like the ones made with Ren'Py. We've already seen an abandoned VN made by an LSF poster that proves this. But those apps work precisely because they play to the platform's own strengths instead of importing everyone else's all-purpose frameworks and libraries.
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

Forget the port, then, what about silly little apps like KS equivalents of the Strike Witches game where you use the touch screen to move Yoshika's legs?*

*This statement is 95% trolling.
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
zet cross

Post by zet cross »

I'll be honest with you guys the Devs were trying to keep the iPhone version of KS a secret, however after a long and drawn out talk about I've managed to convince them to let me post a screen shot or two to show you guys what to expect. Most likely this will get released on Cydia, however it may wind up on Rock, yes this does mean you'll need a jail broken iPhone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... CF0115.jpg

Above is a Rin scene, that we all know pretty well, you'll have to excuse the poor picture quality my camera wouldn't let me get the text in focus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... CF0113.jpg

There is a Miisha and Shizune scene.

As you guys can tell the black borders on either side are due to the fact currently the iPhone team are working with BGs from the main game rather than resizing and proportioning them for the iPhone mainly as they're trying to work out how to stop the horrid lag the game gets from the low levels of ram and the tiny processor.

You may get more shots as time goes on but I somewhat doubt it till the full game is released.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

zet cross wrote:the iPhone team
lol
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
zet cross

Post by zet cross »

Who am I kidding Geno, by iPhone team, I mean extremely bored coder who offered to do it, it just sounds grander when I say team.

Well when I say extemely bored coder, I mean infinite monkeys with infinite type writers, I mean one is going to hit the perfect code for it right?
ReRonin

Post by ReRonin »

Oh well i guess the thought was nice...
I'd totally jailbreak my phone for that if it were true :D
toast

Post by toast »

Hey man, fuck the app store, do it for teh Droid
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

toast wrote:Hey man, fuck the app store, do it for teh Droid
Enjoy your Jython
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Is Ren'Py ported to ARM already? I've got a friend who's raving about his Pandora, and talking about finally catching up on on the gaming and VN's that he's missed. I might get him to finally check out KS this way.
静音是买外夫
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Warwick wrote:raving about his Pandora
Pandora website wrote:Since the Pandora is a project started by only a few people (and it isn't even out yet), you can't buy it at any online stores!
wut