Hisao's birthday

WORDS WORDS WORDS

chaix

Re: Hisao's birthday

Post by chaix »

okay note to self: do the research even when it seems completely irrelevant at the time, and here I was all concerned I might have written a character badly (which might still happen, I'm not as confident writing Rin). here's a peace offering:

quick key for this:
-text- signed dialog, these were square brackets in the word doc.
' text ' written dialog
-text ... text- Hisao doesn't recognize one or more words in between

Pt 4

A knock on the door interrupts my sleep.

??:“Hicchan! Are you awake yet?!”

There’s only one person who could be so loud and cheerful this early. I pull myself out of bed and slide my feet over to the door. Opening it gives me a close up view of Misha’s smiling face.

Mi:“Good morning Hicchan, have a good sleep?”

Hi:“No, but I got a good few hours in.”

Even though I’m half-asleep I can feel eyes boring into the side of my skull.

Hi: -Good morning Shizune.-

Mi:“Uh Hicchan you should probably wait until you’re awake to try signing”

Hi: “What did I say?”

Mi: “Whahahahha it was mostly gibberish, you got Sicchan’s name right though”

I turn to look at Shizune. She looks pretty ticked about something.

Hi: -What did I do?-

Sh:-You … bad student.-

Hi: -Sorry Shizune.-

That's the phrase I’ve been practicing the most.

Hi: “Give me a minute to get dressed.”

I retreat back into my room, slamming the door shut before either of them can try to get in. After changing I swallow my morning pills, and grab my new phone and head
back out to meet the girls.

Hi: “You guys are planning on showing up to class today right?”

Mi: “Nope, we have student council business to attend to.”

Hi: “What business? We finished off all the paperwork for this month last week.”

Mi: “Uh, it’s new… just came up this morning.”

Hi: “Then why don’t I give you a hand with it. Then you won’t be as late.”

Sh: -You…. not be so quick to….-

Hi: “Uh Misha?”

Mi: “Sicchan says you shouldn't be so quick to put aside your education.”

Hi: “So says the two who skip every chance they get.”

Sh: -Go to class now.-

If she signed any harder, I’d be worried she was going to injure herself.

Hi: “Guess I can’t ignore a presidential order. When you get to class though, could you try not driving everyone nuts?”

Mi: “Whahahahaha I’m sure Shizune won’t make a fuss.”

Shizune and I share one of those looks.

(Time skip)

Even though the lessons are fairly uninteresting, I find myself taking notes as though Shizune is critiquing every word I write out of habit. The lunch bell rings just as I’m
starting to think about a nap. Since Misha and Shizune haven’t shown up yet, I decide to head over to the student council room.

Knock knock

Hi: “Misha, are you and Shizune still in there?”

Mi: “Hicchan?! Wha-what are you doing here?”

Misha walks up behind me with a can in each hand, her eyes wide with surprise.

Hi: “Thought you might need help with that stuff you mentioned this morning.”

Mi: “Uh … uh…. we don’t need any help with that, nope all fine here. So uh why don’t you go back to class.”

Hi: “O-kay, sure you don’t need any help?”

Mi: “Nope, perfectly fine Whahahaha.”

There’s an odd nervousness to her laugh. But that could just be because her hands are freezing from the cans.

Hi: “Alright then, just make sure you two come back to class soon. You know how Shizune hates having to copy my science notes.”

Mi: “S-sure Hicchan, just head back to class and we’ll be there in a few minutes.”

(Time skip)

Halfway into Muto’s science class I’m brought out of my half-awake state by a sudden pain in my side.

Sh: -What are you doing? You’re ….to be … notes-

Hi: -Sorry, I- -

Realizing I can’t remember all the signs for what I want to say, I write the message on the edge of my notebook

Hi: ‘I was up late last night, been feeling sleepy all day..’

She replies in kind, still taking down the notes from the board at the same time.

Sh: ‘What were you doing?’

Hi: ‘My parents sent me a present; I waited until midnight to open it.’

Sh: ‘A present, why?’

Hi: ‘My birthday is today, they got me a phone.’

Sh: ‘Show me later.’

When Muto finishes his lecture, the class files out looking completely drained. Shizune and I stay behind while she copies the day’s notes.

Hi: -Where is Misha?-

Sh: -Still working.-

Hi: -You left her there?-

Sh: -Your … notes are hard to read.-

Hi: -Sorry, do you think she is done?-

Sh: -No, we are going to help her finish.-

With a slight groan I follow Shizune back to the student council room. If it was going to take this long then they should have let me help in the first place. When we open
the door the room is pitch black, save for a few beams from between the blinds.

Hi: “Maybe she already finished and headed-“

Mi: “SURPRISE HICCHAN!”

All of the room’s lights turn on at once, leaving me momentarily blinded as my eyes adjust. When my sight returns, I’m greeted by a smiling face that is far too close for
comfort

Hi: “AHHHHH-”

I stumble back into Shizune, she manages to grab the door frame in order to stay upright, I’m not so lucky.

Hi: “Wha-what the hell was that?!”

Mi: “Hi-Hichan are you okay?”

I check my pulse to make sure I’m not about to have another attack. It’s a bit fast at first, but it settles down after a few seconds.

Hi: “Yeah, you scared the hell out of me though.”

I take a quick look behind me to make sure Shizune is unharmed. Apart from her glasses being a bit askew and the angry face, she seems to be okay.

Sh: -You did not have to…. him!-

Looking around, I see that the room is filled with some of the festival decorations that were left over.

Hi: “What’s with the decorations everywhere?”

Mi: “Whahahaha it’s normal to have decorations at a birthday party.”

Hi: “Wait….this is what you two were doing all day?”

Mi: “Whahahahaha of course, it’s your birthday Hicchan. Did you think we wouldn’t find out?”

Hi: “Who told you?”

Sh: -…. Did.-

Hi: -Who?-

Mi: “Muto, he mentioned it the other day while we were cleaning the classroom up.”

Hi: “Uh… thanks I guess. You really need to work on the surprise thing though Misha.”

Mi: “Eh, sorry. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a chance to do that. Want some cake to make up for it?”

Hi: “Sure, what kind did you get?”

Mi: “Not sure, Shicchan made it for you. Whahah- “

Shizune quickly replies by smacking misha in the back of the head.

Hi: “Now now, it’s supposed to be my birthday, can’t we all-“

Brrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg Brrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg Brrrrrriiiiinnnngggg

I feel the vibration of the phone in my pocket and take it out to answer the call in one smooth motion

Hi: “Mom, is than you?”

Mom:“Happy birthday Hicchan.”

Hi: “Thanks mom.”

Mom: “So how are you doing?”

Hi: “Not bad, the student council is throwing me a birthday party right now.”

Mom: “The entire student council? You’re moving up in the world.”

Hi: “I kinda got roped into joining. There’s only two other people though so it’s not really a big deal.”

Mom: “Should I call back later? I wouldn’t want to drag you away from the party.”

Hi: “Probably, I’m not sure when we’ll be done though.”

Mom: “Would tomorrow be better then?”

Hi: “I don’t have anything planned for tomorrow so it should be okay.”

Mom: “Alright then, we’ll call you after you get out of class. Don’t do anything your father wouldn’t do.”

Hi: “Don’t do anything that you would do, got it.”

Mom: “Bye Hicchan.”

Hi: “Bye Mom.”

I return my attention to the two girls. Misha has an interesting expression on her face; somewhere between wonder, joy, and drooling in … envy? Shizune’s gaze is merely
inquisitive.

Mi: “Oooooohhhhh you got a new phone Hicchan?”

Hi: “Yeah, it’s my birthday present from my parents.”

Mi: “Lemme see it for a second.”

She takes the phone from my hand and plays with the buttons for a few minutes. After she returns it I notice she’s added two new numbers to the memory.

Hi: “Shizune has a phone?”

Mi: “Yeah, she uses it for text messages. Now we can call you to work for us anytime we want whahahahaha.”

Shizune hands me a slice of cake, as soon as I take the plate, she begins signing something.

Sh: -…. Hisao.-

Hi: “What was that?”

Mi: “It means happy birthday Hicchan!”

Hi: -Thank you Shizune.-

Sh: -Do you want your …. Hisao-

Hi: “My what?”

Mi: “Sicchan is asking if you want your present.”

Hi: “Uh, sure.”

Sh: -You get one … from me.-

Hi: “What?”

Mi: “Sicchan said you get to make one request of her. Nothing perverted though.”

The wide grin that appears on her face seems to imply something else entirely.

Hi: “Can I think about it for a little while?”

Sh: -Want to play R-i-s-k while you think?-

Hi: “Sure.”

A few minutes into the game and I can tell something is wrong. I’m winning... against Shizune.

Hi: “Is something wrong?”

Mi: “Sicchan’s worried about what you’re thinking about whahahaha”

Shizune turns red and hits Misha in the back of the head.

Hi: -Is it that- -

I realize I don’t know how to sign the word I’m thinking of and revert back to speech.

Hi: “Is it really that distracting?”

Mi: “Of course Hicchan, how could she think of the game when she’s thinking about-“

THWACK

That one sounded like Shizune might’ve put a dent in Misha’s head.

Hi: “I guess I could just go with what I’m thinking of right now.”

Shizune’s eyes turn back to me with that competitive glint that appears when she’s about to win.

Sh: -Time is up. What do you want?-

I mentally go over what I’m about to say in my head, making sure each sign is as close to correct as I can manage.

Hi: -You go out with me.-

All of the air in Misha’s lungs is expelled in one expression of surprise that sounds roughly like an ‘eh?’. Shizune’s cheeks turn slightly redder, but her eyes maintain the
same look as before. Apparently my intended message was conveyed just fine.

Sh:-…-

Her hands move far too quickly for me to have a chance at reading them.

Mi: “Th-then I’ll leave the t-time and p-place up to you.”

MIsha sounds as though she’s repeating it more for her benefit than mine. Shizune’s cheeks return to their normal shade. With any awkwardness in her mind placed aside
for now, she then falls into her usual routine of crushing my armies.

(Time skip)

After finishing off the last of the cake, we head back to the dorms and say our goodbyes for the night. After unlocking my door, I hear the multiple locks to Kenji’s room
slide open.

Ke:“Hey man, where were you? I thought they might’ve taken you as a hostage.”

Hi: “Student council threw me a birthday party so I was with them until a couple minutes ago.”

Ke:“Did they give you a present? You should probably have it checked for traps or explosives.”

Hi: “Apparently I’m getting a date with Shizune as my present.”

It’s hard to tell if he’s more surprised or horrified.

Ke:“YOU”RE DOING WHAT?!”

Hi: “Well she gave me one request as a present so…”

Ke:“You chose it did you…. th-then this is an excellent opportunity! You go out and distract them, while I check her base for information. I didn’t peg you for one of those
secret agent undercover types, but you must be really good to pull this off man.”

Hi: “Uh, yeah… I should probably get to sleep, had a hard day being a super spy and all that.”

Ke:“Right man, just let me know when you’re going. I’ll give you a hand preparing.”

He disappears into his room, locks clicking back into place, while I open my door and make a beeline for the bed. Within a few minutes sleep begins to overtake me.

Oddly enough, I think Misha as more than twice the amount of Shizune's dialog. i'm going to start working on Lilly after this because I had a great idea about how to end it after writing Hanako's (and I did some fact checking this time). Expect Rin on the tomorrow or the day after, Lily's might come a day or two after that.
coldacid

Post by coldacid »

Keep it up, dude, this is GOLD! :D Shizune's and Hanako's were excellent, and you've certainly got Kenji's character down pat. Can't wait for MOAR!
<coldacid> hanak-o's
<coldacid> taste best when burnt
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I especially like the bit of continuity with Hisao's mom calling in every story.
chaix

Post by chaix »

the phone call isn't as continuous as I'd like it to be. She calls much later in Emi's story than the others. Assuming I end up writing lily as planned, it ends up being pretty different in that one too. Anyways It's time for everyone's favorite little artist to take the uh... stage? canvas? whatever.

pt 5
Beep beep beep

I lay still for a few minutes after hitting the off button on the alarm, attempting to remember just what had been in my head a second ago. The few bits that I remember
sound like something Rin would come up with while writing a story. Something about a large open roof room with black walls. Blue sky and something green. I begin noting
all of this in the sketchbook before downing the morning pills and getting ready for school.

Ke:“Finally awake man?”

The voice from behind me would be surprising if it didn’t happen so often.

Hi:“Morning shopping trip?”

Ke: “Intelligence gathering.”

Hi: “Anything I should know?”

Ke: “Not sure, gotta check my codes and charts. I think they’re going to move soon though.”

Hi: “You can let me know when I get back then.”

Ke: “Sure man, brothers in arms after all.”

I continue on my way out the dorms, reflecting on the apparent normalcy of the conversation. I must be getting used to unconventional minds; either that or I’m going nuts too.

(Time skip)

Morning classes are a boring as usual, with half the students asleep by the time the lunch bell rings. The only reason I escaped that fate was my now growling stomach,
apparently distressed over my skipping breakfast.

I make my way through the crowded halls in an effort to make my way to the familiar set of stairs to the roof. Halfway up I recognize a figure leaning against the wall.

Hi: “Comfortable rin?”

Rin:“Not really, the wall is making my back itchy.”

Hi: “Any special reason to stand there?”

Rin: “I can’t get the door open.”

Hi: “Emi’s going to be waiting for us then.”

Rin: “Psychic powers?”

Hi: “Just a guess.”

I open the door and let Rin through first.

Emi:“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

I can hear the distinctive sound of Emi’s legblades on the gravel before a soft thump as Emi’s small body collides into Rin’s in a hug that must feel like a vice.

Rin: “I’m glad to see you too Emi. But it’s not my birthday.”

Emi: “Eh?”

She looks up and then turns her gaze over to the doorway and myself. She looks back at Rin to confirm that she hadn’t hugged her intended target.

Hi: “Any chance you two could hold that while I get out the sketchbook?”

Emi’s eyes begin to glare daggers at me.

Hi: “Hold that face Emi, it contrasts perfectly with Rin’s smile”

She lets Rin out of her embrace and repeats the process on my chest, her cute little face just barely hiding the fact that she is attempting to crush me.

Emi: “Does this pose look good to you Rin?”

Hi: “Hurting… Emi… please let go.”

Emi: “Hmmmmm, maybe when you apologize.”

She squeezes even harder on my ribcage.

Hi: “I-I’m s-sorry Emi.”

Emi: “Mean it?”

Hi: “Y-yes. Just let me go please.”

Emi: “Alright then.”

With Emi’s bear-like grip lifted I begin Walking over to the bench where I pull out the sketchbook and begin trying to draw the scene.

Rin: “Don’t forget her face”

Hi: “Huh…any chance you could make that face again Emi?”

Another dagger glare followed by a quick reversal to her usual nonthreatening smile.

Emi: “How was that?”

Hi: “Perfect.”

Emi: “Good, because that counts as your present.”

I begin eating, occasionally stopping to draw a bit more of the scene. By the time lunch is over the two figures look roughly human, but neither is quite recognizable as Emi or Rin yet.

Rin: “Needs more colour.”

Hi: “You think everything needs more colour.”

Rin: “The sky has enough colours, should be different ones though.”

Hi: “More red?”

Rin: “The clouds maybe.”

Emi: “You two done talking? The bell rang a few minutes ago. You might not make it.”

Hi: “You won’t either, there will be too many people for you to run around. Not easily anyways.”

I slide the sketchbook along with the remnants of my lunch back into my bag and head downstairs. I join with a river of people in order to get back to class while the two girls join the opposite flow to return to their room.

(Time skip)

Afternoon classes are only slightly more interesting than the morning. During the spare minutes I burn the scene of Rin and Emi deeper into my head for later. Eventually the bell rings, releasing everyone from their rooms and onto the grounds. I trace my usual path to the art room for some peace and quiet while I attempt to put the scene in my head onto paper. Rin is off in her own little corner, already working on something.

Rin: “Hmmmm, you’re here too?”

Hi: “Easier to concentrate; Are you still working on that piece from yesterday?”

She nods and looks back at the canvas, appearing to be vaguely disappointed by what she’s looking at.

Hi: “Need me to mix some paint?”

She shakes her head from side to side.

Hi: “Alright then, just tell me if you need some later.”

With silence quickly filling the room, we both begin working. Before too long I finish the scene of Rin and Emi and begin on the image from my dream. The details that I had tried to remember in the morning have long since been erased by the monotony of the school day. Giving in to boredom I begin drawing the first thing that pops into my head. A few minutes pass before the scratching of my pencil is interrupted.

Rin: “I need more paint.”

Hi: “Any specific colours?”

Rin: “Hmmmm… blue.”

Hi: “Any specific kind of blue? Prussian, Sky, Navy?”

Rin: “No, none of those.”

Hi: “Could you be a little more specific then?”

Rin: “Like this, but more… dreamy.”

She points to a greenish blue colour on the canvas

Hi: “So a pastel turquoise I guess?, got it.”

I begin mixing the light blue and green paints until it matches the shade in Rin’s mind.

Rin: “What were you drawing?”

Hi: “I don’t remember, wasn’t really paying attention.”

She seems to find this extremely interesting, if the look on her face is any indication. She walks over to the sketchbook and begins staring at it.

Rin: “Oil?”

Hi: “Huh?”

Rin: “A barrel?”

Hi: “Uh, let me see it. Oh…”

Rin: “Oh? Something you recognize?”

Hi: “Pretty sure it’s a birthday cake.”

She shrugs and heads back to her painting while I start adding to the cake I had apparently been drawing.

Brrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg Brrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg Brrrrrriiiiinnnnggggg

My phone breaks the silence that had once more settled into the room

Hi: “Hello?”

Mom:“Hello Hicchan, happy birthday.”

Hi: “Thanks mom”

Mom: “You sound as though you’re at a funeral. Is something wrong?”

Hi: “No, just… tired I guess”

Mom: “I didn’t interrupt anything did I?”

Hi: “Nope, just doing some random drawing”

Mom: “Oh, are you planning on doing something later then?”

Hi: “Not really. I was kinda enjoying the peace and quiet, there’s only me and a girl from the art club in here.”

Mom: “Shame on you Hicchan, you’re in one of the best times of your life and you’re not doing anything?”

Hi: “Sorry, I’m just not in a mood to do anything crazy today; maybe tomorrow, or the next day.”

Mom: “I guess as long as you’re happy and healthy it’s fine with me.”

Hi: “Alright mom, anything else you wanted to say?”

Mom: “Nope, I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and check on how you were doing.”

Hi: “Thanks mom.”

Mom: “Bye Hicchan.”

Hi: “Bye.”

I hang up the phone and slide it back into my pocket.

Rin: “Parents?”

Hi: “Just my mother, dad’s probably working late”

Rin: “Hmmmm.”

Hi: “Need more paint?”

Rin: “No, are you done with the drawing of Emi yet?”

Hi: “That one from lunch? I think so.”

I flip the page to the drawing in question and put the book in front of Rin. She twists her head around and stares at it for a few minutes before speaking again.

Rin: “Looks squished.”

Hi: “If I didn’t, part of the picture would be cut.”

Rin: “Draw it smaller then.”

Hi: “Then the details would be lost, or it would look horrible because they’re all crammed in.”

Rin: “Then don’t draw the details.”

Hi: “Then the drawing wouldn’t look as good”

Rin: “Why does it need to look good? Unless you’re going to show it to others.”

Hi: “So that we can have a good laugh about it later. If the drawing isn’t good, you won’t remember what happened as well.”

Rin: “So you want to remember Emi hugging me? Do you like that kind of thing?”

I really hope she’s screwing with me. She might actually do something if I answered that truthfully.

Hi: “It’s a humorous moment that I’d like to remember when I’m depressed.”

She walks back to her own painting, apparently satisfied with my response.

Rin: “Do you want this painting?”

Hi: “Eh?”

Rin: “To remember our conversation just now.”

I walk over and look at the painting, it vaguely resembles a red sky with green clouds, Or something green on fire and slowly vaporizing.

Hi: “What is it?”

She shrugs, and begins squinting and twisting her head in various combinations.

Rin: “Not sure.”

Hi: “Sure you don’t want to keep it?”

She nods her head a few times.

Rin: “I forgot the reason I started it.”

Hi: “Then I’ll accept it as a birthday present from you.”

Rin: “It isn’t a present. There’s no wrapping paper or a bow. No element of surprise.”

Hi: “One of these days you’ll remember what you were thinking when you were working on it. Then you can surprise me. An I.O.U. for one surprise I guess.”

Rin: “Are my thoughts that surprising to you?”

Hi: “Usually.”

Her response is to snake her head up next to my ear. By the time I realize what’s happening, she’s already given me a quick kiss on the cheek and returned to her normal stance.

Rin: “Did that surprise you?”

I move my head up and down while my mind is still processing the fact that Rin kissed me.

Rin: “Then I guess that can be another birthday present from me.”

She walks out of the room without any hint of embarrassment ever having shown itself, leaving me standing there. After what seems like a few minutes my brain finally
resumes normal operation and I pack up my things. Before heading to the dorms I remember to take the painting and something to hang it on the wall with.

Ke: “Hey man what’s with the painting, becoming an art thief?”

Kenji apparently walked up behind me while I was looking for my keys.

Hi: “No, it was a birthday present from another member of the art club.”

Ke: “Oh, it’s your birthday? You should’ve told me this morning, we could’ve done something.”

I wonder just what the hell Kenji’s idea of a birthday party is. In second thought, I probably don’t want to know.

Hi: “You looked busy this morning, didn’t want to interrupt your process.”

Ke: “Good thing you didn’t man, I think I’m on to something big. I should probably get back to it now. Later man.”

Hi: “Later.”

I walk over to the wall above my desk and hang up the painting before getting into bed. As I fall asleep, I begin staring at the painting, trying to associate the strange image with the memory of just a few minutes ago.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

This is one of those moments where you wanna go HELL-YEA mode and jump naked on top of your neighbour's car.

I think I need a break...
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
coldacid

Post by coldacid »

Xuan wrote:This is one of those moments where you wanna go HELL-YEA mode and jump naked on top of your neighbour's car.

ಠ_ಠ
<coldacid> hanak-o's
<coldacid> taste best when burnt
chaix

Post by chaix »

Disclaimer:the author does not condone or endorse any act which may involve public nudity or destruction of property.

I think you might need to lay off the coffee, or the sugar.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

Highly likely both.
chaix

Post by chaix »

And now it's time for the final performance in this little play.

Beep beep beep

I feel around to stop the blaring racket coming from above my head. When I find the off button, I slam it as hard as I can in my drowsy state. I go through my morning routine, shower, clothes, and then pills before heading off toward the main building. About halfway there I spot a familiar combination of blonde hair, a black bow and the taping of a cane.

Hi:“Lilly?”

Li: “Hisao?“

Hi: “Yeah, do you always get up this early?”

Li: “Sometimes, when I need to have something done before lunch.”

Hi: “If you did it at night you wouldn’t have to wake up so early.”

Li: “I tend to work better in the morning. What about you?”

Hi: “Not sure, maybe I just heard the alarm earlier.”

I skip over the fact that I actually set the alarm earlier the last time she mentioned it.

Hi: “So, what kind of work did you have to do?”

Li: “Paperwork for my class.”

Hi: “Shizune going on about deadlines again?”

Li: “Unfortunately.”

Hi: “I can give you a hand if you need it. I didn’t have anything planned for this morning.”

Li: “Thank you Hisao, I’m sure my usual translator would appreciate it.

Hi: “Should we head to the tea room then?”

Li: “My classroom is closer to the stairs.”

Hi: “To 3-2 it is then.”

We head inside and up the stairs to Lilly’s classroom. The empty school gives off an eerie feeling, like something is going to jump out at us at any moment. Despite my nerves being on edge, we make it to the classroom without incident and Lily begins pulling papers out of her bag.

Hi: “I just thought of something. I don’t know how to read Braille.”

Li: “Hmmm? Don’t worry I’ve written it out normally. It just needs to be put down on the form.”

She hands me several sheets along with largely empty forms. The handwriting on the sheets is incredibly well done, despite Lilly’s blindness. As I begin transferring her
handwriting to the forms I notice that the paper’s lines are ridged so she can feel where the lines are.

Hi: “So who normally does this, Hanako?”

Li: “I usually ask Yuuko or one of the sighted students in our class.”

Hi: “Like Kenji?”

Li: “Yes, I usually ask him if he happens to show up to class.”

Her formally smiling face morphs into a display of disappointment and something else I don’t quite recognize.

Hi: “Why him? Sometimes he can barely recognize me when we meet in the dorms.”

Li: “He has the best sight in our class, we’d probably rely on him more if he was here more often.”

I decide to jump from the topic of my neighbor onto something slightly more cheerful.

Hi: “I’m still coming for lunch with you and Hanako after school right?”

Li: “And then Akira will be joining us for dinner after that.”

Hi: “This is probably the most involved birthday I’ve had since I was six or seven. oh, I’m done filling out the forms too.”

Li: “Thank you Hisao, you should head to your own class now, the bell will ring soon.”

Hi: “See you after school.”

I step out into a mildly crowded hall, and by the time I’m sitting at my desk, the bell begins ringing.

(time skip)

I manage to make it through the day without sleeping, though I came close to nodding off in history class.

Hi:“Ready to get going?”

Ha:”S…sure.”

We start on the familiar path to the tea room. There aren’t too many people left in the halls so the trip doesn’t take long. As we enter the room, I realize that it’s
unusually dark. The blinds are shut and the lights off. Hanako waits for me to take my seat before closing the door behind us. In the darkness I can just make out footsteps
from two different places. One is Hanako walking to her chair; the other that I assume to be Lilly is off in the corner of the room. After a few seconds a faint light flickers into existence. Lily’s silhouette turns around and carries the light over and places it in front of me.

Li:“Happy birthday Hisao.”

Ha:”H-Happy birthday.”

Hi:”Thank you.”

I turn my attention to the light in front of me. It’s a small electric candle set on top of a small white cake with ‘Happy Birthday Hisao’ written on it in dark blue icing.

Hi:”Shame we have to cut it up, it looks kind of nice.”

Hanako goes over to the light switch, turning on the harsh white school light, blinding me for a few seconds. I cut three pieces off the cake and put one each one of our
plates. The cake’s innards are fairly typical, three layers of white cake separated by one layer of what tastes like strawberry jam and an inner layer of icing. After we finish eating Lily moves over to the far corner to where she was standing when we came in, picks up three brightly wrapped gifts and places the in front of me before returning to her seat.

Hi:”Three?”

Li:”My sister decided to get you a present as well.”

She says this with a questioning look on her face, as though she can’t understand why Akira would possibly do this.

Hi:”Guess I’ll just have to open it and see what’s inside.”

Despite my curiosity about Akira’s gift, I open Lily’s first (a new book from a series I had started at the library) then Hanako’s (the other two books in the series). I then
turn my attention to the mystery gift from Akira. The card is your typical store bought fare, bright colours with Happy birthday on the inside. However, it has ‘Hope this helps ’ written in what I can assume is Akira’s rushed and slightly messy handwriting. I open the present to reveal another book, though it’s nothing close to what I’d usually read.

Li:”What is it Hisao?”

Hi:”A… book.”

Hanako leans over to get a better look at the cover and then begins fighting to stop herself from giggling.

Li:”Is something wrong?”

I can’t bring myself to say the title put loud, so I have Hanako do it.

Ha:”It-it’s a… b-book on dating.”

Saying it apparently breaks her hold and she begins giggling uncontrollably.

Ha:”T-ten ways to get the l-lady of your dreams.”

She clamps her hand over her mouth in an attempt to stop laughing. Honestly, I don’t see what’s so funny. Then again, I’m just happy Lilly can’t see the bright shade of
red I’m turning.

Li:”Is… is that true Hisao?”

I nod my head before I realize the pointlessness of it.

Hi:”Un-unfortunately… yes.”

Lily whips out her phone and leaves the room. Through the wall, we can hear a muffled version of lily’s side of the conversation, which sounds as though it’s taking all of
her restraint not to start yelling. She then walks back in and hands the phone to me.

Li:”Akira would like to apologize to you.”

She says those words as though she’s attempting to give her older sibling an order. I walk out of the room with the phone before beginning to speak.

Hi:”Akira?”

Ak:”Hello Hisao, is Lilly nearby?”

Hi:”No I stepped outside the room.”

Ak:”Good, I think I really ticked her off this time.”

Hi:”We could hear her through the wall.”

Ak:”Yeah, sorry about that. I thought you might need a little… push.”

Hi:”A push, to do what?”

Ak:”So you could finally ask my sister out.”

Hi:”… eh?”

Ak:”You do like her don’t you?”

Hi:”Well yeah but-”

Ak:”And you have thought about asking her out right?”

Hi:”Once or twice but-”

Ak:”But what? I’ve been asked to set her up with most of my coworker’s sons at one time or another. If you don’t ask her out, someone else will.”

Hi:”Last time I did something like that… it didn’t turn out too well.”

Ak:”I’d suggest doing it today if you could, after dinner maybe.”

Hi:”Why?”

Ak:”Because it’s your birthday. Tell her it’ll be a birthday present or something.”

Hi:”This doesn’t mean much coming from the one who just pissed her off. She’ll probably just let me down easy.”

It sounds like there’s a rush of static on the other end.

Ak:”Would it help if I said that she does like you?”

Hi:”What proof do you have of that?”

Ak:”Short of getting her mad at me again. I’ll just say she talk about you in a way that she hasn’t talked about anyone else for a very long time and leave it at that. Okay?”

Hi:”I guess, she’s probably wondering what we’re talking about for so long though.”

Ak:”If she asks?”

Hi:”You were really, really sorry?”

Ak:”Good enough for me. I’ll see you three at dinner tonight. Bye”

The other side goes dead and I walk back into the room. I suddenly wish Akira hadn’t been quite as sorry.

Ha:”L-Lilly.”

Li:”Oh it seems Hisao has come back, would you like me to give the phone to him now?”

She offers my phone out into the air, I take it and try to swallow back the nervousness that’s building inside me.

Hi:”H-hello?”

Mom:”Happy birthday Hicchan.”

Crap.

Hi:”Thanks mom.”

I pull a U-turn and head right back out of the room closing the door behind me.

Hi:”Okay, how worried should I be?”

Mom:”What do you mean Hicchan?”

She says it with a sugary sweet voice that just screams ‘I did something awful.’

Hi:”I want to know what you talked about with Lilly. More specifically how long will it be before I can talk to her again?”

Mom:”Don’t worry, I just asked her how you were doing. You came in before I could do anything to hurt your chances.”

Hi:”Ch-chances?”

Mom:”Wow, you’re a horrible liar Hicchan, if that’s all it takes. I won’t need to tell her anything. ”

Hi:”Wh-what do you mean?”

Mom:”She likes you, and you’d obviously start talking the moment she asked.”

Hi:”Okay… anything else you’d like to do before I say goodbye? Mail her my grade school pictures, or just turn my face an impressive shade of red before I walk back in.”

Mom:”Don’t worry, I can do that later. Good bye Hicchan.”

Hi:”Bye mom.”

I hang up and take a few deep breaths before heading back inside.

Li:”Did you have a good conversation with your mother?”

Hi:”Depends on how you define good, talking with her about anything always feels… weird.”

Li:”Really? I found her to be quite delightful.”

Hi:”Sure, she’s not your mother though.”

Li:”I suppose you are right.”

Hi:”So… did she say anything that I should know about?”

Li:”No, she asked how you were, how we knew each other, if we had plans for tonight-”

Hi:”That would be the one.”

Li:”Should I not have said anything?”

Hi:”You said Hanako and Akira were coming right?”

Li:”I was just about to say that when you walked in.”

Hi:”If you didn’t say it explicitly, she will take it as just us going out for dinner. She’s a bit… over eager about anything involving me and any potential situation that she
can possibly conceive as romantic.”

Li:”Then you know what it is like to be Akira’s sister. She has been attempting to to have me in a relationship for years.”

Hi:”Why?”

Li:”I believe she is concerned for my well being. She believes that I should have someone to look after me.”

Ha:”Sh…she asked me to when I first met her.”

Hi:”So,we have an overprotective sister, an overzealous mother… Hanako, any chance you have a crazy relative to complete the triangle?”

Ha:”S…sorry, I don’t.”

Hi:”Oh well.”

Ha:”Wh-what time is it?”

I briefly glance at my watch.

Hi:”Around six, why?”

Li:”We should probably start going to the restaurant then.”

We begin walking down into town, with Hanako lagging a few steps behind the entire way. At one point we ask if she’s alright. But she dismisses it and we continue on. We arrive to find Akira already waiting for us at the entrance. When we are taken to our table, Akira and Hanako make a noticeable effort to make sure that they are sitting side by side, leaving Lilly and I to take the other side. Throughout dinner, they attempt to keep the conversation on their side of the table. Noticeably excluding both Lilly and me every chance they get.

Akira picks up the bill for dinner. As we begin to leave, she pulls me off to the side.

Ak:”Why weren’t you talking to Lilly?”

Hi:”You and Hanako could’ve tried to talk to her if you’re that worried.”

Akira begins rubbing her temples as if she’s annoyed by something.

Ak:”You are going to take my advice right?”

Hi:”About?”

Ak:”You’re going to ask her out tonight right?”

Hi:”It would feel like I’m cheating if I do that.”

Ak:”All’s fair in love and war kid. Find a nice spot on campus, and just blurt it out.”

Hi:”I guess it could work…”

Ak:”Make sure you do, I’d rather you go out with her than some guy I know nothing about.”

With that she walks off back to… wherever the hell she was going, and I try to catch up with Lilly and Hanako. The walk back to school mirrors the one on the way down;
Hanako stays a few steps behind the entire way. The silence ends when we reach the dorms.

Ha:”I… I have to get up early tomorrow, g-goodnight.”

She takes off at a fairly quick pace into the girls dorms, leaving me alone with Lilly. Guess it’s now or never.

Hi:”Lilly would you-”

She cuts me off by putting a finger on my lips.

Li:”Did Akira tell you to ask me to date you?”

I nod, I assume she can feel my head moving since she hasn’t moved her finger.

Li:”Do you want to date me?”

Another nod.

Li:”Would you have asked me tonight if she hadn’t told you to?”

I nod side to side.

Li:”Then I will wait until you are ready to ask me yourself.”

She starts off toward the dorms, then stops and walks back to me.

Li:”Hisao?”

She asks this to the air beside me, probably trying to check if I’m still here.

Hi:”yes?”

She turns to face me.

Li:”You will ask though, correct?”

She puts her finger back on my lips before I can answer, so I nod. As she smiles and turns away I hear something odd coming from her direction, something… plastic. She
stops walking and turns back toward me.

Hi:”Anything wrong Lilly?”

Li:”It seems that I leaned a bit too much on my cane.”

Hi:”Can you still use it?”

She holds up the cane. It appears to be broken into three or four pieces, each one barely hanging on to the others.

Li:”Could you help me to my room?”

Hi:”Of-of course.”

I walk up beside her and offer my arm, instead of pinching the cuff as she normally does, she wraps her arm around mine.

Li:”Is something wrong?”

Hi:”No, nothing.”

We walk through the girls dorms. Most of the students are either outside trying to squeeze out the last half-hour or so, or are already in their rooms giving us open
uncrowded hallways all the way to Lilly’s room.

Li:”Thank you Hisao, for guiding me back.”

Hi:”you have anoth-”

I turn to face her just in time to catch what I assume was a kiss meant for my cheek right on my lips. Mere seconds after realizing her lips had hit the wrong area, she
quickly pulls back.

Li:”You… you were saying?”

Hi:”You-you have another cane in your room for tomorrow right?”

Li:”Yes, of course I have a spare, g-goodnight Hisao.”

Her last sentence is incredibly rushed as she slips into her room and closes the door. As I walk back to my room I attempt to replicate her thought process before it happened. When I pull out my keys to get in my room, I can hear Kenji trying to get my attention.

Ke:”Hey Hisao, anything new to report?”

Hi:”Not much, went out for dinner. Lilly broke her cane so I had to help her get back to her room.”

Ke:”Broke… broke how?”

Hi:”Into three or four pieces, looked like they were just hanging on.”

Ke:”That sly bitch, I guess I have to give her some credit.”

I skip over the Bitch comment to avoid an obvious conflict.

Hi:”Credit for what?”

Ke:”She tricked you man, had you around her little finger. You know she’s got two canes right?”

Hi:”yeah, she said she had a spare in her room.”

Ke:”I’m betting the cane she had with her was collapsible.”

Hi:”So?”

Ke:”She collapsed it, it didn’t break.”

Hi:”why would she fake breaking it?”

Ke:”No idea, maybe to lure you into a trap. But if you were in their HQ… you’ll have to describe every detail to me in the morning.”

He goes back into his room while I open my door and change into something I can sleep in. If Lilly didn’t break her cane… did she just want me to walk her to her room? no, she’d just ask if she wanted me to do that. I guess Kenji could’ve been right, she did try to kiss me goodnight… I think. The various theories continue to spin around in my head until it goes blank.

And so ends (for now) this little story. for anyone who asks, I did check on raised line paper and the cane, just in case.

for the next story, I find myself in need of a few suggestions, for a couple questions.
a) should I bring in Emi/Rin, They'd only have small parts though.
b)I need a suggestion for a well-known male protagonist type from pre-2007. preferably one who doesn't wear an elaborate get up and who has nothing to do with Haruhi or Gundam (especially not SEED).
I'm guessing a couple people realize exactly what I'm planning. depending on how this goes I might need to ask something else.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

:D Wow, dude. Definitely saved the best for last, huh?

I guess it helps that Lilly is my fav character.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

The way the story go, even I gained a good ten points for Lily, which I usually reserve for Shizune or Rin.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

GLORIOUS
Attachments
gleefulsumire.jpg
gleefulsumire.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

The scene with Lilly's response to him being pressured by Akira was particularly excellent and believable.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I laughed very hard at the idea of Hisao being concerned his mom would mail Lilly his grade school pictures :D
Otherwise very well written. Keep it coming ^^
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
apelhitam

Post by apelhitam »

lol guess youre rooting for Emi eh?